BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Oct-05-2016, 06:38:14 PM   #21
billybilly
XBox one peasant

United States

Default Re: Silvergray545's E46 M3 Journal

Love your build, and your local!
Old Thu, Oct-06-2016, 02:44:45 PM   #22
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
Love your build, and your local!
Thanks man! If you ever see me around town, flag me down. Would love to chat.

I need to update this thread. Maybe tonight!
2014 VW GLI 6MT - Black/Black

E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-06-2016, 03:05:23 PM   #23
billybilly
XBox one peasant

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Thanks man! If you ever see me around town, flag me down. Would love to chat.

I need to update this thread. Maybe tonight!
Will do! Usually in Berea on the weekends at my family's body shop, let me know if you need any help getting your rocker fixed if you haven't already.
Old Thu, Oct-06-2016, 03:49:52 PM   #24
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
Will do! Usually in Berea on the weekends at my family's body shop, let me know if you need any help getting your rocker fixed if you haven't already.
Definitely! I'm going to pick up a CSL trunk and diffuser so I can have everything painted all at once. I'm thinking to have it all done in the spring. We'll see.

E46 M3 Build Journal
Old Thu, Oct-06-2016, 05:23:49 PM   #25
Bimmerchop

United States

Excellent build thread. Subbed
- Ibis/Alcantara B8.5 A4 S-line
- Pearl Stg3+ B5 S4 (sold)

EURO.techniks
Jump to top Bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-06-2016, 05:59:47 PM   #26
GodHandzE46

In the garage:

United States

Nice build thread man! This makes me want to track my car again!
Jump to top GodHandzE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-07-2016, 01:04:54 AM   #27
legacyej25

United States

Awesome thread man. You're keeping it simple and making the car better with each step. Car looks nice and clean too.
Old Tue, Oct-11-2016, 05:37:07 AM   #28
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerchop View Post
Excellent build thread. Subbed
Thank you! Your thread is amazing! Love your old B5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHandzE46 View Post
Nice build thread man! This makes me want to track my car again!
Thank you! Your thread is an absolute inspiration! Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyej25 View Post
Awesome thread man. You're keeping it simple and making the car better with each step. Car looks nice and clean too.
Thank you! That's pretty much my goal with this car. Simple street cruiser but effective track weapon.

E46 M3 Build Journal
Old Tue, Oct-11-2016, 05:41:25 AM   #29
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

At this point, the M3 had been down for a little over two months and I just wanted something I could drive. There’s a local forum, Ohiobimmers, that I’m part of. I ran across one member that was looking to sell his car. I wasn’t in the market for another car but when I saw it, I knew I wanted it. A few emails back and forth, and plans were made to go look at the car that upcoming Sunday.

The car was located about 4 hours south of where I live. My buddy and I hit the road at 8am. About an hour and a half in, it started pouring down rain. It literally rained all the way until we were about 30 minutes away from him. The whole time I’m hoping this car will be worth it.

When we got to our meeting point, I saw the car and it was in better condition than I expected. The owner was an enthusiast and spared no expense on this car. The paint was in great shape. The interior looked like I had 30k miles on it. The car drove smooth and had no major issues. There was also a whole list of recent maintenance that was done. With the condition of the car being in much better condition than I had expected, I purchased the car without hesitation.

The car is a 2000 BMW M Roadster. I am the third owner. Since it is a 2000, it has the S52 and a 5MT. It is titanium silver on black interior with a black top. The car does have some modifications the first owner installed a race clutch. I don’t know the brand but it is not factory. The second owner installed custom projector headlights built by Lightwerkz out of New Jersey. A number of interior bits were installed. Arm rest, steering wheel, etc. It also has a set of TC Kline D/A coilovers with 400/500 springs. The shift knob is a BMW performance knob. And it has a JVC radio that has Bluetooth. The wheels are a square set of OEM rear wheels in 17x9 ET8 and the rear has a 20mm spacer.

I’m going to warn everyone now, the worst part about the car is the color of the wheels. I didn’t think it was a big deal because a couple days at the powder coater and it’s fixed. I just haven’t decided what color I want to change them to.

My buddy snapped this when we were driving home with it.

Also, I did not like the center caps at all. Since the BMW dealership is half of a mile from where I work, that was the first thing I changed.

Much better. (I know, the red wheels are still a little much.)

I don’t really have any big plans for this car. It was an impulse buy and I’m not upset with it at all. Only thing I want to do is change the color of the wheels or change the wheels all together. I figured I’d tackle that over the winter.

A few weeks into ownership, my driver’s side rear view mirror fell of and got cracked. Ordered a replacement and popped it right in. Good as new!

Now back to the M3. After driving the M Roadster around for a while, I really grew to love the BMW Performance knob with the short gearshift. First thing I did to the M3 was pull the OEM broomstick off and install the ZHP knob.

Some people have written posts about how the ZHP knob was a game changer and whatnot. The knob is okay. It is “weighted” but not enough to make a huge difference. Do I like it? Yes. Would I do it again if I had to do it over? Probably not, unless my OEM knob was worn to the point where it should be replaced. Hopefully it will all come together when I install my UUC EVO3.

Now that the car was running fine, it was time to get the car prepped for the track event I had in a week. I had a garage full of parts (again) that needed to be installed before the event. You’re going to notice that I will plan to install a whole bunch of parts and then realize that I’m not a master mechanic only to do a portion of what I had planned. Haha

Headers (not pictured), new header gaskets, high temp CPV o-rings from mpower22’s for sale thread (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=369406), fuel filter, cabin filter, new wipers, the UUC EVO3 with DSSR and a set of NGK DCPR8EKP spark plugs.

The first few steps of the header and spark plug install are the same. So I decided to swap the spark plugs first. I don’t know when the spark plugs were changed last but based on the mileage, I knew the car was due for them.

I’m glad I decided to change them because these look like they were at the tail end of their life.

Changing spark plugs is pretty straightforward. After they were all swapped, I continued disassembly to get to the headers. I’ve read DIYs that say, “you’ll have a little splash of coolant” when taking the expansion tank out along with the hose. Not for me. It was like Niagara Falls. Coolant was everywhere. That bag is full of rags I used to soak up spilled coolant.

I also didn’t realize these were one time use clamps. PSA: For anyone that needs to remove one of these, you can’t. Cut them and replace with regular hose clamps.

After many hours later, the factory headers were out! They are next to my Agency Power V2 headers. Crazy how different they are! Once the headers were out, I called it a night since it was late and I had to be up early for work.

Decided to pick up the project the next day. I didn’t have an extra hand to help me line up the headers so I just did a couple small things that needed to get done.

Since the headers are out, time to take a look at my CPV. Yep, definitely leaky. Glad I bought the replacement o-rings ahead of time!

Old dried up o-ring.

Quick cut with a razor blade.

New o-ring installed.

Next up were new wipers. It appears that the old wipers on my car weren’t OEM because the new wipers are completely different.

Called it a night since I didn’t get to the garage until late.

The next day, my new scan tool arrived. Seems cool so far!

The day after that, I had my Nitto NT-01s mounted to my Arc-8s.

The following day, I had a friend stop by to help me get my headers mounted. Installation is so much easier since you don’t have to worry about those cats being in your way.

So much room!

Clearance between the headers.

Clearance between the header and the FCAB.

Motor mount is looking a little worn. Winter project?

And last but not least, a clean cabin filter!

After everything was put back together, I had to pack the car and go to bed. I had to wake up at 5am to be at the track the next day.

Packed and ready to go!

More to come!

E46 M3 Build Journal

Last edited by silvergray545; Tue, Oct-11-2016 at 05:45:54 AM.
Old Thu, Nov-03-2016, 10:47:48 AM   #30
aaronpoweruser

United States

Can you post a new sound clip now that you installed the headers.
Jump to top aaronpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote