BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 04:58:50 PM   #1
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Thumbs up Review: ECS Polyurethane-isolated Monoball RSMs

I had a chance to install these on my car last weekend, and I'm exceedingly pleased with them! They are completely silent, did not add any perceptible NHV, and being sealed from the bottom should keep the monoball operating freely (and silently) for a long time to come.

Here's excited for them...
Traditionally there's two types of RSMs: Bushing based or monoball based. Both have tradeoffs.

Bushing based RSMs must to be soft enough the angle of the shock to change, at various points on the suspensions travel (so that the shock doesn't bind, and/or ruin its seals-- more important on higher end shocks, but always useful). This solution meant low NHV, but the precision with which the shock could control the wheel was significantly restricted by the need for fairly soft bushings. Most of my cars life has been on these.

Traditional monoball based RSMs allow complete shock articulation and 100% precision, but transferred NHV is very significant (annoying). Over time, the monoballs themselves can get noisy as they are not sealed from dirt. Good for race cars, not great for street cars or street driven track cars. I ran these for ~10,000 miles before I got fed up with them.

ECS's new Polyurethane-isolated monoball RSMs are very much the best of both worlds. They have a bushing, but that bushing is only responsible for NHV control-- the monoball is there to allow to shock to articulate. That means they can use a much stiffer bushings, allowing the shock to be much more precise in its wheel control. They also include a gasket to seal the bearing from below, which should keep the monoball operating as new for a much longer time than traditional, unsealed monoball RSMs.

The result is just kick ass. Almost all of the precision of a full monoball RSMs, no perceptible increase in NHV. It's the perfect RSM for anything other than a dedicated race car, IMO!

Some pictures from ECS's site, because I didn't remember to take any:

I'm super pleased with them

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 05:19:47 PM   #2
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Review: ECS Polyurethane-isolated Monoball RSMs

Thanks for the review, excellent feedback as always.

Slicktop * Cloth Seats * AS SSK * Besian

2018 Mercedes Benz E63S Edition 1 Night Black Magno
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed
in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Jump to top SocratesRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 05:40:01 PM   #3
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Damn. I wasn't aware these existed. Now to return my GC RSM's and go with these?

How well are these sealed to keep dirt out? I see a circlip but can't really make out the sealing mechanism. I don't really want to have to maintain these yearly, only when I'm servicing my shocks which I would guess every 50k or longer.
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 05:45:31 PM   #4
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Damn. I wasn't aware these existed. Now to return my GC RSM's and go with these?

How well are these sealed to keep dirt out? I see a circlip but can't really make out the sealing mechanism. I don't really want to have to maintain these yearly, only when I'm servicing my shocks which I would guess every 50k or longer.
I can take a picture tonight installed on the car, but

The gasket (second part from the left gets sandwiched and then presses against the underside of the RSM. There's should be no way for dirt to get in there from below, unless you drive over something that gets thrown up and tears the seal.

It's not installed on the pictures on their site

Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 05:49:49 PM   #5
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Poly transmits more NVH in other suspension joints (FCAB, RTAB) - you sure it doesn't do so here?

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" · SS V1 S pipes 2.5" · OE sect 2 · SCZA 2.5" sect 3 · Besian · RE pullies · fan/SAP/washer/fog delete · CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs · Hotchkis front sway (med) · rear strut bar · TMS camber & subframe plates · Eibach alu rear camber arms · RE trans mounts · AKG poly subf/diff 95a · SDW RTAB · OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk · Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases · TMS black pedals · Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · APEX 75mm Studs · Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL · ZHP "712" rack · Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 05:54:15 PM   #6
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Also, did you go with a reinforcement plate in addition to this? If so, which one?
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 06:00:12 PM   #7
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Thanks for the feedback! These to me are the perfect blend of race tech for the street like Ian said anything that's not a full blown track car where NVH no longer is an issue these are perfect for, heck even on a track car they aren't a bad option!

The gasket is part of revision 2 (the version we're currently stocking), the install photos are actual of prototypes of the originals, so a few minor changes between those old install shots and the current stock.

Quote:
Also, did you go with a reinforcement plate in addition to this? If so, which one?
We have packages with our reinforcement plates, I'm clearly biased so I'll suggest those to anyone that's listening.

-James

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Jump to top ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 06:08:19 PM   #8
Cha5en
Banned

United States

Thanks Ian! Looks like a new part just got added to my shopping cart, so glad ECS and Turner are still kicking ass in the R&D of these cars!
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 06:11:36 PM   #9
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

This looks like it's thick enough and has a big enough foot print to not need reinforcement plates no?

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" · SS V1 S pipes 2.5" · OE sect 2 · SCZA 2.5" sect 3 · Besian · RE pullies · fan/SAP/washer/fog delete · CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs · Hotchkis front sway (med) · rear strut bar · TMS camber & subframe plates · Eibach alu rear camber arms · RE trans mounts · AKG poly subf/diff 95a · SDW RTAB · OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk · Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases · TMS black pedals · Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · APEX 75mm Studs · Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL · ZHP "712" rack · Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-22-2017, 06:17:40 PM   #10
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Poly transmits more NVH in other suspension joints (FCAB, RTAB) - you sure it doesn't do so here?
The poly is only functioning as an isolater here, unlike FCABs/RTABs. That said, I'm sure it does make some degree more noise. But, I can't hear/feel it, at all-- and I'm pretty OCD about noises.

Quote:
I did. I already owned a set, so it was a no brainer. They all do the same thing, so I don't think it matters which you get. Were I buying a set now, I'd just do the add on set from ECS, likely.

That said, even though it's not an issue nearly as often on the e46, as an former e36 owner I'm too paranoid to not run them.
(e36s are prone to blowing out their shock towers, this style of place was the preventative fix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Thanks for the feedback! These to me are the perfect blend of race tech for the street like Ian said anything that's not a full blown track car where NVH no longer is an issue these are perfect for, heck even on a track car they aren't a bad option!
Yeah, that's why I said race car-- these still make sense on a track car, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
Thanks Ian! Looks like a new part just got added to my shopping cart, so glad ECS and Turner are still kicking ass in the R&D of these cars!
Agreed!

Crazy that it took 16 years for an RSM innovation .

But, yeah, this is the first time on the e36/e46 I've felt like I've had an RSM that isn't compromised in one way or another.

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Jun-22-2017 at 06:21:59 PM.