BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 04:51:40 PM   #1
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Default JRZ Install Help

RESOLVED: SEE POST #52

Hey fellas, pardon the newb-ish suspension question, but I can't seem to find too much info re. the 'actual' install of my JRZ RS1's front c/o's. (The supplied directions are frankly, terrible-IMO.) I'm posting this just for future posterity, in case someone has had a similar issue...or maybe we'll find out that I'm just an idiot!? A little back story first...I just recently purchased these from a forum member who I believe ordered these through Apex., all components appear to be there. The rears went in no problem, but when I attempted to install the fronts over the weekend (even w/the adj collars all the way down), it sits up like a 4x4 in the front-lol. I installed them w/the helper springs because they came w/them, and I just assumed that they were necessary? I'm also attempting to install the GC street camber plates vs. the Race plates that came w/it...which are also taller. If I removed the helper springs from the equation, would that reduce the 'stack' height sufficiently...or is that crazy talk and not an option? Sorry, I'm a little lost w/this one fellas. Here's a pic below of the kit how I received it:

Last edited by stash1; Thu, Aug-15-2019 at 01:57:24 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 05:12:11 PM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: JRZ Install Help

How tall are front springs? They look pretty short so helpers probably do fit. In the pic, the adjuster collar is pretty high, but you moved it down while installing?

I would also look at any hardware (spacers) that are getting sandwiched between the shoulder of the strut shaft and the bottom of the plate's bushing. Anything extra or unnecessary in there will raise the car (stack height).

And then lastly, even though it should be simple, I've seen people not 100% make sure the strut body was all the way down into the hub/knuckle collar. It should physically bottom out - I make sure the collar is all the way open by using a bit of leverage in the split, like with a flathead, and pry it open a hair. Then I rotate the strut back and forth to make sure it's fully seated. I also prepare the surfaces with a scotch pad so it's smooth.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer/fog delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker

Last edited by TboneM3; Tue, Aug-13-2019 at 05:17:02 PM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 05:34:03 PM   #3
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
How tall are front springs? They look pretty short so helpers probably do fit. In the pic, the adjuster collar is pretty high, but you moved it down while installing?

I would also look at any hardware (spacers) that are getting sandwiched between the shoulder of the strut shaft and the bottom of the plate's bushing. Anything extra or unnecessary in there will raise the car (stack height).

And then lastly, even though it should be simple, I've seen people not 100% make sure the strut body was all the way down into the hub/knuckle collar. It should physically bottom out - I make sure the collar is all the way open by using a bit of leverage in the split, like with a flathead, and pry it open a hair. Then I rotate the strut back and forth to make sure it's fully seated. I also prepare the surfaces with a scotch pad so it's smooth.
All very solid advice and the exact same thing that I would say to someone else w/a similar issue-lol. I removed all of the included spacers, and made sure that the strut body was fully seated in the knuckle. I'm not sure about spring length, but I can easily measure that...thanx for chiming in brother!
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 05:55:10 PM   #4
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

No worries! What about the adjuster collar, was it all the way up like in those pics or had you moved it downwards significantly? If you moved it all the way down, and there was nothing artificially raising the stack height, I don't know how the car would sit so high (4x4 style). Not only do those springs look pretty short, but I believe JRZs bodies are shortened as well. Plus those helps have to be a very low spring rate, they must pretty much completely collapse once the cars on the ground right? Were you able to see?

I like to get a jack under the kingpin and compress the strut before putting the wheel back on to make sure everything's playing nicely.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer/fog delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 06:26:55 PM   #5
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

From what I remember. Apex sold these with too short of a spring (5 inches i believe) so there would be a lot of droop and would require the helper spring. I run a 7 inch spring and do not require a helper spring for the front. However I do use one for the rear (rear coilover).

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
G-LOC Brakes
IG: marcdavid.m3

Last edited by mdavidm3; Tue, Aug-13-2019 at 06:34:19 PM.
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 06:29:32 PM   #6
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
All very solid advice and the exact same thing that I would say to someone else w/a similar issue-lol. I removed all of the included spacers, and made sure that the strut body was fully seated in the knuckle. I'm not sure about spring length, but I can easily measure that...thanx for chiming in brother!
springs should be stamped. for example 700.225.750 7 inch spring 2.25" diameter 750 lbs

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
G-LOC Brakes
IG: marcdavid.m3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 06:38:52 PM   #7
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
No worries! What about the adjuster collar, was it all the way up like in those pics or had you moved it downwards significantly? If you moved it all the way down, and there was nothing artificially raising the stack height, I don't know how the car would sit so high (4x4 style). Not only do those springs look pretty short, but I believe JRZs bodies are shortened as well. Plus those helps have to be a very low spring rate, they must pretty much completely collapse once the cars on the ground right? Were you able to see?

I like to get a jack under the kingpin and compress the strut before putting the wheel back on to make sure everything's playing nicely.
The adj collar was within 1/2" of being fully seated at the bottom of the strut body...and there was still like a 2" wheel gap-lol. Think the front spring rate is around 600ish, according to the FS ad. Granted it was around 2AM when I was installing these, and I prolly wasn't the most focused, but I was like damn...this shit shouldn’t be that hard-lol. Yes, I raised the LCA up before lowering the vehicle just to get an idea of where I need to be—wheel gap wise. Ima gonna attempt to install again, and triple check everything this time!

Last edited by stash1; Tue, Aug-13-2019 at 07:07:38 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 06:40:01 PM   #8
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
From what I remember. Apex sold these with too short of a spring (5 inches i believe) so there would be a lot of droop and would require the helper spring. I run a 7 inch spring and do not require a helper spring for the front. However I do use one for the rear (rear coilover).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
springs should be stamped. for example 700.225.750 7 inch spring 2.25" diameter 750 lbs
Thanx for the info, I'll look into all of that!
Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 06:59:29 PM   #9
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Ya 600lb is 4 x stock rate, so it won't compress much. Might need to take the helpers out then. I'm surprised you'd have so much height, even with 600lb rate, because that spring looks so short, like 5.5" as MDavid suggests. But maybe the stiffness plus the helpers are just pushing it all up too much.

Old Tue, Aug-13-2019, 07:13:19 PM   #10
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Ya 600lb is 4 x stock rate, so it won't compress much. Might need to take the helpers out then. I'm surprised you'd have so much height, even with 600lb rate, because that spring looks so short, like 5.5" as MDavid suggests. But maybe the stiffness plus the helpers are just pushing it all up too much.
Yeah, I think it may ultimately wind up being a little too stiff for my needs, and I might eventually end up going w/lower rates...but I wanted to install first as is just to gauge how stiff it would actually feel on the street.