BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > General BMW > General BMW Discussion
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

General BMW Discussion Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News

Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 08:37:25 PM   #511
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Should I sell my e46 for M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
Have I test drove a car that I have no intention of purchasing? No, I have not. I would caution you against holding any sort of opinion on the car as a whole until you've driven one. I wanted to hate the car....Truly. But yet I have a burning desire to own one ever since driving it (unfortunately I am poor lol).

I'm not a millennial, I want a proper gear box in my car. Is the M2c a sweet car? Certainly, but new retail is absurd to pay IMO. Let's leave the "millennial" remarks out of this forum -- Totally meaningless to the topic at hand. That being said, you can buy an M2C with a traditional manual. I have only driven the DCT, so I can't comment on how good the traditional manual option is. I'm sure if it's rubbery like the stock 46M manual transmissions, there will be aftermarket options to fix this like there are for our platform.

If my heart were set on that car I would wait a couple years for it to depreciate and save 5 figures for being owner #2. Yea I agree. That is how I would buy any car at this point in my life. Buy when it's at it's lowest. It will be interesting to see how these cars fair in terms of reliability and out of warranty maintenance. I admit, one of the appeals with this car is that it is so damn good right out of the box. It doesn't need $10-20k worth of mods to be excellent. I have no doubt though, they are going to be MONSTERS with the aftermarket.

The "best" car I've had a test drive in is an Aston V8 Vantage(It was only $40K at 40% MSRP). Sadly I felt like the e46 M3 is more fun although the Aston's sounds were intoxicating. Not surprised the 46M is more fun to drive. Very different cars -- Although Aston's DO produce some of the best exhaust notes around.

Since this is a BMW forum I figured there would be more people telling you to go for it. I'm actually pretty surprised. But hey, it's your money. If you need that car in your life right now then YOLO. You don't seem to care about the money. Even if you don't plan to ever buy one -- Go drive one. At least have that experience in your recollection. I can't imagine you won't have fun. Especially if you enjoy the stock e46 M3 vert experience. The M2C is quite a step up IMHO.
Red. =)

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
For Sale: BNIB OE CSL Wheels
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Jun-19-2019 at 08:40:42 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 10:31:19 PM   #512
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
You realize there are plenty of Millenials that are almost 40 years old.. some of which likely bought a manual e46 brand new?
I actually had an old man meme in my mind when typing out that message.

The technical definition of millennial has become way too broad. The millennials that fit all the horrible stereotypes are in their mid to late 20's.

If they didn't grow up with the internet and social media and played Oregon Trail then they're not really fitting into that slot.

Old Wed, Jun-19-2019, 11:17:49 PM   #513
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMak View Post
I actually had an old man meme in my mind when typing out that message.

The technical definition of millennial has become way too broad. The millennials that fit all the horrible stereotypes are in their mid to late 20's.

If they didn't grow up with the internet and social media and played Oregon Trail then they're not really fitting into that slot.
That's a good ad -I like that all of the people they found are even stereotypical millenials

Honestly, I'd say most people think "millennial" and imagine someone who's ~19.. rather than someone born in 1981. I imagine anyone who is a millennial or older (most everyone on this forum) probably has a hard time thinking of 1980 as almost 40 years ago.

In reality, every new generation is going to look at things differently, and younger people are going to resist "putting their time in", while older people are going to feel like the world owes them and no one listens to their wisdom.. that's just how it is. Unfortunately, millennials are the largest living generation, so not only is their socioeconomic impact larger, but people have been bitching about their impact long enough for them to grow up somewhere between "curmudgeon" and "entitled brat".. really it's just "adults under 40"

It *is* interesting how millennials get blamed for auto-blip, flappy paddles, and general prevalence of technology in cars, when the real decline happened around 1950 (source:NPR)

I wonder what would happen if cars younger (GenZ/ early-Millennial) buyers could *afford* had stick-shifts.. and were fun to drive. Unfortunately there are so many automatics that manual isn't even the "cheaper option".
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 12:28:59 AM   #514
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
That's a good ad -I like that all of the people they found are even stereotypical millenials

Honestly, I'd say most people think "millennial" and imagine someone who's ~19.. rather than someone born in 1981. I imagine anyone who is a millennial or older (most everyone on this forum) probably has a hard time thinking of 1980 as almost 40 years ago.

In reality, every new generation is going to look at things differently, and younger people are going to resist "putting their time in", while older people are going to feel like the world owes them and no one listens to their wisdom.. that's just how it is. Unfortunately, millennials are the largest living generation, so not only is their socioeconomic impact larger, but people have been bitching about their impact long enough for them to grow up somewhere between "curmudgeon" and "entitled brat".. really it's just "adults under 40"

It *is* interesting how millennials get blamed for auto-blip, flappy paddles, and general prevalence of technology in cars, when the real decline happened around 1950 (source:NPR)

I wonder what would happen if cars younger (GenZ/ early-Millennial) buyers could *afford* had stick-shifts.. and were fun to drive. Unfortunately there are so many automatics that manual isn't even the "cheaper option".
I'm aware that you can't blame millennials for cars being automatics. Cars are automatics because of the age segment which buys the most cars new. No manufacturer cares about used car sales. That segment is in their 50's and 60's. Those are the people buying the most new cars and so are dictating what gets manufactured.

Older people are not that into shifting and want to be comfortable. If they started demanding manuals then you bet your ass every manufacturer would suddenly start producing manuals.

Millennials can't drive stick because there aren't any around for them to learn on anymore. My first car was a manual, I learned on a manual and every car I have owned has been manual. If I was never exposed to a manual at an early age I'm sure I would not want learn to drive one destroying a car's transmission on my own dime.

Millennials are not the cause, they are the by product in this case. Very sad collateral damage.

Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 12:45:39 AM   #515
808elise

United States

Quote:
Mmhm, that's what all old Millennials say

Back to the subject of the M2.. maybe BMW will take a hint from Porsche and realize they need an NA 6 cylinder with a manual transmission in the mix?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-specs-price/

I certainly hope not and highly doubt it.

Not sure why so many people enjoy such linear power bands. 400hp great. 300tq? Come on. Much of the aftermarket for s55 is making all their power by just over 5.5k rpm and hits like a brick to the chest. Easily tuned to over 600whp on pump for $5k if you do install on your own. Who cares if it flatlines after that 5.5 with 7 short gears that shift razor sharp and lock hard with gts tune. Im starting burn outs from 40-45mph with stg2 tune. Cant wait to put the turbo upgrade in and hit burnouts from fourth if i feel like it. Imagine that, reliability, plug and play tunes (actually doing them wirelessly now), and actual daily drivability in a comfortable four seater. Bmw has enabled me to drive monster Ms ever since the birth of my son bc their coupes are roomy and comfortable. I had a 3 door turbo veloster to get me through my deployment cycle and the m2c actually has more room for him and is a far more comfortable daily. Porsche has never produced a 2+2 to actually fit anyone in the back or i would have pulled the trigger in 2007 and nearly did.

This is by far the most capable all around four seater i have driven under the 90-100k mark for a new car. The after market has finally caught up too. S55s are producing over 800 hp on stock engines with kratos turbos. The tune is simply emailed and uploaded through my 600$ software upgrade. Some guys here drop 5k on carbon intake and full exhaust...

The only 4 door car i may consider adding is the new M5. But just cant see myself ever getting a four door. The new m5s are crazy fast and handle surprisingly well, especially the m5c. Alot of guys seem to be selling their m3/4s for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 12:45:41 AM   #516
lapoune

United States

This is the better version

Jump to top lapoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 01:25:35 AM   #517
CraigMak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
The only 4 door car i may consider adding is the new M5. But just cant see myself ever getting a four door. The new m5s are crazy fast and handle surprisingly well, especially the m5c. Alot of guys seem to be selling their m3/4s for them.

The Alfa Romeo Giula Quadrifoglio is a pretty sweet 4 door. Sadly no manual though. It got better marks than the M3 from most reviewers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa11.jpg (299.6 KB, 10 views)

Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 01:28:59 AM   #518
M3_#67

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post

Not sure why so many people enjoy such linear power bands. 400hp great. 300tq? Come on. Much of the aftermarket for s55 is making all their power by just over 5.5k rpm and hits like a brick to the chest. Easily tuned to over 600whp on pump for $5k if you do install on your own. Who cares if it flatlines after that 5.5 with 7 short gears that shift razor sharp and lock hard with gts tune. Im starting burn outs from 40-45mph with stg2 tune. Cant wait to put the turbo upgrade in and hit burnouts from fourth if i feel like it. Imagine that, reliability, plug and play tunes (actually doing them wirelessly now), and actual daily drivability in a comfortable four seater. Bmw has enabled me to drive monster Ms ever since the birth of my son bc their coupes are roomy and comfortable. I had a 3 door turbo veloster to get me through my deployment cycle and the m2c actually has more room for him and is a far more comfortable daily. Porsche has never produced a 2+2 to actually fit anyone in the back or i would have pulled the trigger in 2007 and nearly did.

This is by far the most capable all around four seater i have driven under the 90-100k mark for a new car. The after market has finally caught up too. S55s are producing over 800 hp on stock engines with kratos turbos. The tune is simply emailed and uploaded through my 600$ software upgrade. Some guys here drop 5k on carbon intake and full exhaust...

If you're planning that much power, you better look into (if you haven't already) an upgraded crank hub so the S55 doesn't grenade.
Jump to top M3_#67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 01:48:44 AM   #519
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

It makes me happy how positively the market is responding to Porsche’s Na powerplants after 808elise’s post reminded how much I dislike modern BMW engines. Too bad there’s no longer a 4 seat alternative

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Jun-20-2019 at 01:51:50 AM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-20-2019, 02:39:55 AM   #520
808elise

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
It makes me happy how positively the market is responding to Porsche’s Na powerplants after 808elise’s post reminded how much I dislike modern BMW engines. Too bad there’s no longer a 4 seat alternative

That’s understandable. Not everyone wants a fast sports car.

Maybe its not disillusionment.

Some of us may enjoy the badge or savoring every last ounce of power and could not really handle the torque of a modern car anyhow. But for the rest, behold the benefits of modern engineering and forced induction on stable and corner carving platforms.