BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Mar-01-2010, 09:54:24 AM   #31
henry333

United States

And bmw say adding after market parts will void whatever they are offering is BS. If adding some springs will crack the frame, then that frame is not strong enough. They should just have a recall for all m3, because this is not safe and why should each of us go fight them one at a time?
Jump to top henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-01-2010, 12:53:40 PM   #32
dsm918

India

Did the Indy shop have to drop the subframe to find the crack or were they able to do it with everything bolted up?
03.5 CB/Black M3
00 GSXR 600 (Track Star)
90 Nissan 300ZXTT
92 Eclipse GSX - 11.841 @ 117.11
Jump to top dsm918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-01-2010, 02:03:11 PM   #33
pourfood

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
38k miles on my car, 100% stock, never raced and it has subframe cracks also.

I can't believe all these guys on here that think subframe cracking is just a myth and it will never happen to them, lol.

I have seen several threads with people saying"Subframe reinforcement is a waste of time". Dumb SH**S. You are all in denial if you think itt wont happen to your car! Why do you think BMW lost in a court of law, was not because of people abusing their cars, its because they where found liable in a lawsuit that lasted for years.

If you all think your smarter then all the engineers and techs that testified in a court of law and all the evidence that was shown its a design flaw then your one smart mofo!
You do realize that there are other M3s with much more mileage than your car without subframe issues, right?
Jump to top pourfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-01-2010, 03:00:08 PM   #34
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post
By both, you mean both front and back points? So both sets? I heard the back drivers side, and front passenger side are the most common spots. But you have cracks at all four corners?
Sorry. If you are standing at the back of the car looking toward it, the passenger side fracture is toward the side closest to the rear of the car. The driver side fracture is closest to the front of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry333 View Post
And bmw say adding after market parts will void whatever they are offering is BS. If adding some springs will crack the frame, then that frame is not strong enough. They should just have a recall for all m3, because this is not safe and why should each of us go fight them one at a time?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Did the Indy shop have to drop the subframe to find the crack or were they able to do it with everything bolted up?
They did not have to drop my frame as you can see in the video. They just put it on the lift, and they knew exactly where to look, and the fractures were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourfood View Post
You do realize that there are other M3s with much more mileage than your car without subframe issues, right?
This may be the case. But whats not to say that these m3's won't get fractures later on? It is probably the case that these cars were "babied" or not driven very hard, thus not causing much stress in the subframe mount area. But for a performance car, such as ours, most people drive it like it is meant to be driven (and I don't mean that they abuse it here).

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-02-2010, 02:52:40 AM   #35
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

"Sorry. If you are standing at the back of the car looking toward it, the passenger side fracture is toward the side closest to the rear of the car. The driver side fracture is closest to the front of the car."

So you're saying that (thinking of the car as a 4 sided box) that when standing at the rear of the car (box) facing forward, the front crack (on the front axle mount) is on the driver's side (top left of the box), and the rear crack (on the rear axle) is on the passenger side (bottom right of the box)?

That's the complete opposite of what I'd heard as most common. Usually cracks appear on the back left side (rear axle) and the front right side (front axle). I guess that just happens to be how the engine torque twist the frame and stresses the mounts, most commonly. Now I might be wrong, but I've done a fair bit of reading, and to have your cracks appear on the opposite side in reverse (front to back), without any cracks appearing in the common spots, seems strange.

Now if I haven't completely confused you guys, can anyone comment or correct me? Unless of course your car is right hand drive?

Ok now re-watching your video, you walk to the front of the car and than turn around and come back, I thought you were pointing at cracks on the front end. So really it's just the rear of the car with cracks, that makes more sense, although cracks at the front mounts is not unheard of.

Last edited by Wengy; Tue, Mar-02-2010 at 02:57:26 AM.
Jump to top Wengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-02-2010, 03:15:30 AM   #36
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post
"Sorry. If you are standing at the back of the car looking toward it, the passenger side fracture is toward the side closest to the rear of the car. The driver side fracture is closest to the front of the car."

So you're saying that (thinking of the car as a 4 sided box) that when standing at the rear of the car (box) facing forward, the front crack (on the front axle mount) is on the driver's side (top left of the box), and the rear crack (on the rear axle) is on the passenger side (bottom right of the box)?

That's the complete opposite of what I'd heard as most common. Usually cracks appear on the back left side (rear axle) and the front right side (front axle). I guess that just happens to be how the engine torque twist the frame and stresses the mounts, most commonly. Now I might be wrong, but I've done a fair bit of reading, and to have your cracks appear on the opposite side in reverse (front to back), without any cracks appearing in the common spots, seems strange.

Now if I haven't completely confused you guys, can anyone comment or correct me? Unless of course your car is right hand drive?

Ok now re-watching your video, you walk to the front of the car and than turn around and come back, I thought you were pointing at cracks on the front end. So really it's just the rear of the car with cracks, that makes more sense, although cracks at the front mounts is not unheard of.
Fractures are only on the rear mounts, not the front. I'm just walking around talking to myself in that part .

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 02:06:21 AM   #37
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Update: Took my car to dealer just to see if they would find any issues with the subframe mount area, but they didn't find any problems. Go figure. I will be getting the TMS subframe kit installed at a local trusted indy shop within a couple of weeks.

Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 02:09:49 AM   #38
daver408

United States

which shop have you decided on?
Jump to top daver408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 02:35:51 AM   #39
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Default Body Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver408 View Post
which shop have you decided on?
Sent you a PM.

Old Wed, Mar-03-2010, 04:31:16 AM   #40
mickaphely

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaja23 View Post
Update: Took my car to dealer just to see if they would find any issues with the subframe mount area, but they didn't find any problems. Go figure. I will be getting the TMS subframe kit installed at a local trusted indy shop within a couple of weeks.
DEALERSHIP = FAIL !
you should have showed them the pictures you took, even better, you should have pointed it out to them.