BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 02:37:20 AM   #1151
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

This is what Karbonius looks like inside currently:

Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 02:44:49 AM   #1152
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
This is what Karbonius looks like inside currently:
Yep, like I said in the caption...Mine looked just like the pictures I posted of the OE Airbox (like what you posted), nice and smooth without wrinkles. I was very careful with my wording, as I didn't want to misrepresent Karbonius' current offerings compared to their past. They make great products (as you all are aware). Thanks for sharing the picture, as I wasn't successful finding the pictures I took of my airbox. The inside of my local friend's Evolve Airbox looked like the pictures that were posted of Karbonius's earlier work.

Have you got around to installing yours yet? Reason I ask, I am wondering if Karbonius still has the "whistling issue" that many experience with their airbox for some reason. I am not sure if Karbonius ever ultimately fixed this. I know the common approach to fixing it was installing a small PVC T-pipe, which eliminates the annoying whistle. The previous owner of my airbox installed it on my Karb box, as he said the whistle got pretty obnoxious to listen to amidst the induction sounds. Honestly, not a huge fan that that was ever necessary to begin with....Even though it's hidden behind the filter, it "ain't" pretty.

You can hear the *whistle* that I am referring to pretty clearly in this recording, since the mic was next to the airbox (hence also why the induction is so loud, CSL induction noise is not this loud in the cabin.):
DISCLAIMER: The airbox in the video is an Evolve airbox. I am only referencing this video to illustrate the sound I am referring to when I use the term "Whistle". It is purely for demonstrative purposes, for those that have no idea what I am talking about. I apologize if that was not clear.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Jul-20-2018 at 07:44:46 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 03:44:16 AM   #1153
L0ADED

United States

The t-shaped thing is not necessary and would be the last thing to do to get rid of the whistle noise. All one needs to do is take the edge off (round off) the port inside the airbox. That way the air can transition smoothly into the port. That is how the original airbox has it.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 03:48:36 AM   #1154
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
The t-shaped thing is not necessary and would be the last thing to do to get rid of the whistle noise. All one needs to do is take the edge off (round off) the port inside the airbox. That way the air can transition smoothly into the port. That is how the original airbox has it.
Good to know. Previous owner of this airbox added the T-shaped PVC. Looking back on past Karb GBs on here and on M3cutters, it appears the T-shaped thing was a common solution. Wonder if I can remove the one on mine without damaging it. It works...but frankly, it's ghetto. An airbox of this caliber and price shouldn't ever need something like this added in the first place.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 04:11:11 AM   #1155
CheckABS
Volks or bust!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
You can hear that *whistle* pretty clearly in this recording, since the mic was next to the airbox (hence also why the induction is so loud, CSL induction noise is not this loud in the cabin.):
Car sounds pretty mean!

For Sale:
Volk TE37SL 18x9.5 +35 squared
Volk CE28N 19s
Jump to top CheckABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 04:34:03 AM   #1156
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckABS View Post
Car sounds pretty mean!
Yea, no doubt. Not my car (if that wasn't clear). Random youtube video to point out the whistle I was referring to. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have known what I was referring to. That car does sound mean though...keep in mind, the mic is literally next to the airbox under the hood and thus a lot louder than what you hear in the cabin. Pretty nuts though.

Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 12:10:39 PM   #1157
S54 Madness

In the garage:

United States

does that GB price include the flap? Is that part completed yet - I realized there are no pictures of it...
01 E46 M3 Evolve Carbon Air Box / Evolve Alpha N-tune / American Racing Headers 6-1 Catted / Borla Sport Exhaust /Rouge engineering Race Pullies / Mishimoto Radiator, Oil Cooler & Fan / Ground Control Coilover Kit, Street/School / StopTech Pads & Rotors / Apex Arc-8 / Dunlop Direzza ZII 265 Square Setup / 3,192lbs

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=234906&dateline=15265  73579
Jump to top S54 Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 01:39:06 PM   #1158

In the garage:

United States

Any updates or hints when the group buy will open up? Definitely want to be in on the first batch.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, ARP studs, Epic Motorsports Tune, AFE intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, mason clutch pedal.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, UUC sway bars, PFC direct drive rotors, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Coming soon: Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons, Carrillo rods, Karbonius CSL airbox, Supersprint V1 stepped headers & section 1, TMS Power Pullies, 36lb injectors, Cobra Nogaro seats.

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 01:59:43 PM   #1159
rockstar93

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54 Madness View Post
does that GB price include the flap? Is that part completed yet - I realized there are no pictures of it...
Just the airbox - no front snorkel piece yet. Should be compatible with the OE or Karb snorkels though...at least I hope so should any company ever come up with a Z4M-compatible snorkel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
Any updates or hints when the group buy will open up? Definitely want to be in on the first batch.
My thoughts are that it will be delayed. The pre-orders were delayed by a couple weeks and I would think the group buy would be open for at least the first few reviews once pre-orderers get product in hand.
E90 M3 6MT Jerez Black/Fox Red GONE
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red
Jump to top rockstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 02:30:00 PM   #1160
Kyle90

United States

Have they ever tested the air box on a car? Given their track record I’m shocked anyone is willing to throw money at them without some actual real world testing. I have yet to even see a picture of the box mounted in a car...
Jump to top Kyle90 is online now   Reply With Quote