BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-20-2011, 03:38:09 AM   #1
rj0815

United States

Default Wheels: what is too wide?

Hello everyone, I may need help on this one!

So I was trying to order some new shoes for the e46 M3 (it's blue topaz if you care) and I decided on VMR's VB3's in hyperblack. I ordered 8.5x19" (ET 40) front and 10x19" (ET 25) rear. HOWEVER...

Called the guys at EAS, "hey where's my wheels?" "uh, those are out of stock sir, would you like 9.5x19" for the front?"

Did not see that coming...I told him I'd call him back...

Has anyone ever heard of this setup? I'm not spending money on wheels + tires that rub in the wheel well. This just seems very wide in the front. If anyone has some experience with this I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!!!!
Jump to top rj0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 03:40:36 AM   #2
achilles3000
Banned

United States

Default Re: Wheels: what is too wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj0815 View Post
Hello everyone, I may need help on this one!

So I was trying to order some new shoes for the e46 M3 (it's blue topaz if you care) and I decided on VMR's VB3's in hyperblack. I ordered 8.5x19" (ET 40) front and 10x19" (ET 25) rear. HOWEVER...

Called the guys at EAS, "hey where's my wheels?" "uh, those are out of stock sir, would you like 9.5x19" for the front?"

Did not see that coming...I told him I'd call him back...

Has anyone ever heard of this setup? I'm not spending money on wheels + tires that rub in the wheel well. This just seems very wide in the front. If anyone has some experience with this I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!!!!
I would do the first setup..U can go 8.5 front and 11.5 in the rear for a aggressive stance..This way you might have to roll the fenders also depends on how low you go if you just kill the gaps then your golden.
Jump to top achilles3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 03:40:37 AM   #3
MhauS

In the garage:

Canada

mhm pedends what you want to do to make it fit and finally what size tire you would run...youll need some camber thats for sure.9.5\'

edit: whats the offset of the 9.5" wheel

Wayward: 8 years or however fuck long we've had to put up with your bitchass whiny Jersey guido ego - and you still don't understand this forum. You see, I think therein lies the problem why everyone really thinks you're a douchebag and they know I'm not - because you just don't get it, and you never will. When we come to joke around, you get serious. When we get serious, you become a one-upper. And when we become one-uppers like you, then you threaten to 'punch someone's teeth' in. You'll always be the resident moron because unlike maditalian who acts like an equal douche but actually gets it - we all just fukk around here - you simply don't get it, and never will. Hence spending Saturday night in a menstrual pool of butthurt because someone jokingly flipped you off.

Honestly, as many times as I've tried to like you, your red car with 4 doors, your incredible watches that become obsolete once they're on your arm because your amazon of fukking arm hair covers them anyway -
Jump to top MhauS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 04:09:17 AM   #4
bimmermilan
///M > AMG

In the garage:

Serbia

i think 9.5 in the front will be too much
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 04:52:40 AM   #5
rj0815

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles3000 View Post
I would do the first setup..U can go 8.5 front and 11.5 in the rear for a aggressive stance..This way you might have to roll the fenders also depends on how low you go if you just kill the gaps then your golden.
I don't know of any VMR VB3's that go to 11.5, I could do 10.5 or mabe even 11, but I've only been able to find 10" as the widest for the rear. And the 8.5 for the front...those were what I was after, but like I said out of stock. It's why I'm asking if anyone has 9.5" in the front and likes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MhauS View Post
mhm pedends what you want to do to make it fit and finally what size tire you would run...youll need some camber thats for sure.9.5\'

edit: whats the offset of the 9.5" wheel
I'm not sure what the offset is...the guy I was speaking with didn't seem like he knew a whole bunch. He only told me that EAS has done that on my car type before and it works. I imagine the offset is probably around 25mm because they offer that as a rear wheel option. He told me I might have to go with a spacer, and didn't tell me how big the spacer was. I should call back tomorrow and try to speak with one of their techs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermilan View Post
i think 9.5 in the front will be too much
I'm afraid you might be correct. But if the tires don't rub when I turn the stearing wheel, it should be better grip, right? What a mess...
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 04:55:50 AM   #6
MhauS

In the garage:

Canada

it is not too wide I ran a 9.5 up front with a 20mm offset just more camber although I rubbed the innner black plastic on full wheel lock thats all

Wayward: 8 years or however fuck long we've had to put up with your bitchass whiny Jersey guido ego - and you still don't understand this forum. You see, I think therein lies the problem why everyone really thinks you're a douchebag and they know I'm not - because you just don't get it, and you never will. When we come to joke around, you get serious. When we get serious, you become a one-upper. And when we become one-uppers like you, then you threaten to 'punch someone's teeth' in. You'll always be the resident moron because unlike maditalian who acts like an equal douche but actually gets it - we all just fukk around here - you simply don't get it, and never will. Hence spending Saturday night in a menstrual pool of butthurt because someone jokingly flipped you off.

Honestly, as many times as I've tried to like you, your red car with 4 doors, your incredible watches that become obsolete once they're on your arm because your amazon of fukking arm hair covers them anyway -
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 05:35:29 AM   #7
rj0815

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MhauS View Post
it is not too wide I ran a 9.5 up front with a 20mm offset just more camber although I rubbed the innner black plastic on full wheel lock thats all
A lower offset (like 20mm) would make for a greater camber, if I'm understanding you correctly. Can I ask you about how that looked? With a low offset like that, it should put more wheel away from the axel. With it coming outwards of the car, how noticeable was it? How far out of the wheel well was it sticking? What did you have on the rear, and did you have spacers on them to make it match?

I think if my tires are sticking out from the fenders too much it will look silly.
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 05:40:52 AM   #8
MhauS

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj0815 View Post
A lower offset (like 20mm) would make for a greater camber, if I'm understanding you correctly. Can I ask you about how that looked? With a low offset like that, it should put more wheel away from the axel. With it coming outwards of the car, how noticeable was it? How far out of the wheel well was it sticking? What did you have on the rear, and did you have spacers on them to make it match?

I think if my tires are sticking out from the fenders too much it will look silly.
you will not need spacers which such aggresive offsets and widths

camber is adjusted the offset of the wheel has nothing to do with it , it would look like this

thats running 19x9.5 +22 and 19x10.5 +22

Old Fri, May-20-2011, 05:51:49 AM   #9
sebringjetta

United States

loving my 10" up front and 11.5 rear ccw's....not for everyone though....
Old Fri, May-20-2011, 06:25:14 AM   #10
rj0815

United States

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm gonna have to give this some thought.