BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 08:10:42 PM   #11
ethan

United States

Default Re: e46 m3 ball and spring check gone wronnnng

Haha no worries - that box has done me right since, and now I know how to get 'em apart!
Jump to top ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 05:25:59 AM   #12
pouyak

United States

sorry for the confusion ...
[quote=mrgizmo04;1067890819]I am a bit lost where that is on the tranny with 5 equal diameter holes...

Some of those pins with springs I recognize and they go on the rear passenger top side of the tranny (#17-20 in this link). So that takes up 3 middle holes. The 2 outer holes are supposed to have the bolts that secure the plastic plate.
100 percent correct. holes "1,3,5" would be what you are referring to (17-20)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=23_0887

Where did the 2 balls and the other 2 pins come from?
holes "2 and 4" are what houses the ball and pin

And is your tranny taken apart as much as in the last pic you said you found?
no, sorry i posted that to hopefully be helpful as a reference. My transmission is out on the ground and i'm just trying to replace what i can

I'm not quite understanding the difficulty you are having and what is getting in the way of what.
So i'm replacing the clutch and i have 168000 miles with no real issues just felt i should while i was where i was at ,attacking the subframe bushings. Before all this i was told after switching back and forth from reverse to first in a panic during a u-turn(idk why, previous owner's story) and ever since the trans has trouble engaging first from neutral but other than that it can "pop/clunk" into gear with a slight clutch release with rolling but sometimes just ends into full grind but every other gear is just fine.

Can you share pics of the state YOUR tranny is in, rather than pics you find on internet? Is your bell housing off?
sure i'll post the video, all are mine except the one with the bell housing off

Your 2nd and 3rd pic really trip me up, I'm not sure where that is on the tranny. Is your tranny 420g from E46 M3?
yes it is a 420g from an e46 m3 manual and you had guessed correctly (#17-20)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by pouyak; Wed, Nov-14-2018 at 05:40:53 AM.
Jump to top pouyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 05:27:34 AM   #13
pouyak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
Yeah, this is a 420g. Those are the cover locking bits. Part 17 on this diagram. Edit: You knew that - my misreading. The other pins are unlisted and come out when you disarm the cover.

They basically booby trapped the trans cover, so it's not fun getting it apart or back together. It can be done though - I found some info on m5board after a bunch of googling which was enough for me to do it. I'll do some digging and get back to you guys.

wow ... you guys are really amazing, i was trying to give a quick briefing of what was going on but obviously terrible but i'm going to include the vids as well next
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 05:31:49 AM   #14
pouyak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
OK - went through my photos and found some stuff that might help. This is what's going on underneath the cover. You can see there are 4 notches between the 3 shift shafts in which the two balls sit. Then if you look closely, you can see the two pins poking out of the left sides of the right two shift rods. Lastly there's the long pin which comes in from the side of the transmission past the reverse shift rod (out of focus on the right).

Good archive of photos I found on m5board a while back. Here's another look at those shift rods. And the long pin which comes in from the side.

Someone else's technique for getting the small crosswise pins into the shift rods. Pretty sure I just dropped them in the locking mechanism holes and moved them around with picks.

Don't forget to put your drain magnet back in unless you're swapping to a magnetic drain plug.

Glhf.
This is more than i could've asked for this is perfect...you have no idea how much i've been trying to imagine wtf i did wrong and i hope i can use your answer to be my solution. i'll let you know in a day or so.
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 05:34:46 AM   #15
pouyak

United States

thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Oh, so you took it apart apart, haha. May i ask why? There isn't much rebuildable from parts available, from what I know. Normally you just do the seals and all detents/springs, which can all be accessed without popping the housing open.

sure, i was revamping the subframe with new bits and pieces and decided to to the trans clutch as well... prior to all this i was having first gear engagement issues (scroll back for excuse) so wanted to do what i could

Yeah, that pic from ecs with repair kit I know, and I recognize the 3 pins with 3 springs. The other pins with the balls I didnt in your previous pics.
check the video , they're next to them, i'm guessing one is not supposed to mess with them lol

I havent delved that deeply inside the tranny on the rear end of it to help you where those pins and balls sits, sorry.

i appreciate all the help

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Nov-14-2018, 05:36:48 AM   #16
pouyak

United States

Here's the quick edit i made to show the essentials ... lmk what you think

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lu9TwWQxr4TbfL5e6

that seal is leaking a little too so that'll be replaced