BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-12-2019, 02:40:39 PM   #1
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

Exclamation One Last Call For Help-Konductivgeber

Anger: 11
Technical Skill: 8
Confusion: 11

I apologize for popping up multiple times recently asking for help but I am in the process of completing Obioban's 100k "revival/keep the car driving like new" and I have ran into an issue that is burning a hole in my brain. The car is not a daily so time is not of the essence but hey, I'd like to drive my car. Things I did may have been dumb or unadvised so be easy on me...

Sequence of Events:
Part 1
1. Cleaned engine bay. Attempted to use water sparingly and dried all visible water
2.Waited 2 days
3. Started car, let it idle to come up to temp (checking for oil and coolant leaks after oil change and as a matter of routine) and car shuts off suddenly.
4. Attempted to start vehicle, cranked multiple times, started, then died.
5. Attempted to start vehicle again, cranked but no start.
ERROR CODE
INPA: 16 kw Inductivgeber
BMW Scanner: Crankshaft Signal Sensor or Crankshaft Sensor Signal, the wording of the scanner is evading me.
6. Found https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1072023 and purchased and installed https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-12147830789 (Note:This is an OEM part not the OE sensor, which is currently sitting in my cart)
6. Turned vehicle to on position (At this point I cannot start vehicle because I am waiting on delivery of silicone hoses and hoses are removed, therefore no coolant)
7. Scanned codes. No more 16 kw-konductivgeber or crankshaft signal sensor errors. Great.

Part 2
8. Degreased portions of the vehicle exposed by removal of parts necessary to reach crankshaft position sensor. Water used sparingly but may have contacted crankshaft position sensor housing
9. Installed hoses and filled coolant. Walked to turn the vehicle on for its glorious return to life.
10. Turned ignition. Cranked but did not start.
Codes: 16 kw-konductivgeber
BMW Scanner Errors: Crankshaft signal sensor or Crankshaft sensor signal (see above)
11. Grabbed multiple adult beverages and stared wistfully into space.
12. Attempted to start vehicle again and got machine gun ticking and no attempt to crank (others have advised this is the battery, which makes sense to me)

Plan: 1. Install new battery. My INPA does not have registration capabilities so I plan to use Tool32. Don't quite know how to do this process but I am sure I can find it somewhere on the forums.

Questions:
1. Should I order OE sensor and attempt and install new sensor with corresponding o-ring? This seems like an obvious start as a new battery likely will not fix a sensor error...
2. Should I order new alternator as well? My OE is Valeo and FCP sells a Valeo alternator for the vehicle.
3. Any other ideas or anything I am missing? I literally checked my AAA card last night to make sure it was up to date but I refuse to give this car up (at this point...) because, well, damnit, if I can do it myself I am going to.

Note: After cranking and unsuccessful start Battery Warning Light is red, followed by Red Oil Level indicator (oil level is fine). Service Engine Soon Light is on as well.

If I can get this thing working I'll send you some Christmas cookies, and that's not a joke.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-12-2019, 02:55:54 PM   #2
TTKlaus

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: One Last Call For Help-Konductivgeber

Seems obvious to me. Water is causing the issue and it leads to the sensor, or wiring/plug related to the sensor. The battery likely drained down too much from all the cranking. A simple charge might remedy this. I would not get a alternator at this time.

replace sensor, charge battery, start car. when it's running check with a volt meter to see if the alternator is charging properly, if not, replace alternator.

TTKlaus
Jump to top TTKlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-12-2019, 03:03:32 PM   #3
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Part 2, verse 12 is correct - either charge or replace your battery. You do not need to register the battery since it's not an e9x.

Don't replace the alternator unless you have data (lights, voltage, etc.) saying it's bad - you cranked it a bunch without ever charging the battery, so the alternator hasn't had a chance to work.

After the car cranks a few times, see if it starts liking the new crank sensor. Otherwise, reset adaptations and give that a shot. Before buying a new sensor, be sure to trace the wiring back and make sure you don't also have a small rodent problem or something.

In the future, if you wash your engine, start it up immediately after and let it come up to operating temp to dry it. When you're working on the car, use parts cleaner/ brake cleaner to degrease, not water. Parts cleaner is really effective with grime and dries instantly without leaving residue.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-12-2019, 03:34:37 PM   #4
Arith2

In the garage:

United States

Everything is going to be ok... No need to overstress about this. Much worse things could happen. Bmw's will not start with a faulty crank sensor... unlike Audi which is know for timing issues. You can start your engine without your cooling system also. Just make sure your belt is off and you have a jump box or something to help the battery. Just don't run it for more than like 15 seconds just to be safe.

Cleetus Mcfarland set the GM stick shift quarter mile record with a blown head gasket and no coolant.

Buildjournal Tune | CSL Trans Software | Megan Racing Headers | Turner Power Pulleys | GruppeM Ti muffler | K&N Filter | ECS Silicone Intake Boot | SMG(Conversion coming one day) | Stainless Steel Vanos line | Dinan Strut Reinforcement bars F&R | OEM Sec 1 and 2 Exhaust | OEM Intake | Pioneer Radio | CSL Trunk | Headliner that isn't Saggy | Poorly Wrapped Steering Wheel by Previous Owner | OEM Suspension | Aftermarket Driver Holes in engine block for better airflow(Flintstone powered)
Jump to top Arith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-12-2019, 11:31:53 PM   #5
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

Thanks everybody. The water was kind of my fear, and it sounds like the issue. I am going to:

Check wiring for continuity or rodent damage.

Replace battery. No need to code.

Attempt startup. If no start, reset adaptations and try again. If still no start

Install another new sensor. Hope to god it starts up. If not, reset adaptations and try again.

Thanks again everybody. Sometimes you just need the advice to keep plowing. As a side note, I cut the f%&k out of my hand (possible surgery needed) putting together a bike for charity for Christmas. No good deed goes unpunished haha. Luckily itís my non-dominant hand so once the wife leaves I may or may not be under the car turning on that damn hex screw with a smile on face. Iíll let yíall know what happens.
Old Fri, Dec-13-2019, 03:10:19 AM   #6
Kurty

United States

That's funny I changed my crank position sensor as it was throwing a code but no light. Still comes on. Car has intermittent start up hiccups or longer cranks but nothing so far it's been 4 years
Jump to top Kurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-13-2019, 04:25:53 AM   #7
Arith2

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurty View Post
That's funny I changed my crank position sensor as it was throwing a code but no light. Still comes on. Car has intermittent start up hiccups or longer cranks but nothing so far it's been 4 years
I think these create their own signal so it could be something interfering with the AC signal rather than the sensor itself. It also could be the wheel for whatever reason(highly unlikely). Check to see if the plastic crap fell off and the wire rubbed against something at one point. "Noise" can definitely be a problem with an exposed wire.

Buildjournal Tune | CSL Trans Software | Megan Racing Headers | Turner Power Pulleys | GruppeM Ti muffler | K&N Filter | ECS Silicone Intake Boot | SMG(Conversion coming one day) | Stainless Steel Vanos line | Dinan Strut Reinforcement bars F&R | OEM Sec 1 and 2 Exhaust | OEM Intake | Pioneer Radio | CSL Trunk | Headliner that isn't Saggy | Poorly Wrapped Steering Wheel by Previous Owner | OEM Suspension | Aftermarket Driver Holes in engine block for better airflow(Flintstone powered)
Jump to top Arith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-13-2019, 05:28:13 AM   #8
Kurty

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith2 View Post
I think these create their own signal so it could be something interfering with the AC signal rather than the sensor itself. It also could be the wheel for whatever reason(highly unlikely). Check to see if the plastic crap fell off and the wire rubbed against something at one point. "Noise" can definitely be a problem with an exposed wire.
Proper way to do it is removing the intake manifold. Its pretty tight in there with it on. It would be great when i solve it one day.
Jump to top Kurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-13-2019, 05:33:57 PM   #9
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

Current status:

Followed the lines, vehicle is rodent free.
Installed new battery
Crank but no start.
Reset Adaptations
Crank but no start.

New sensor on the way. BTW I haven't utilized FCP's warranty but seems like a damn good deal for paying a little extra over the ECS's of the world. No disrespect to ECS.

Question-Does anyone know what size loom the electronic wires in this area have off the top of their head? I'm looking to protect the sensor cable with some high temp split loom and Amazon is calling my name.

Thanks Guys!
Old Mon, Dec-16-2019, 01:45:58 AM   #10
Fresh1179

In the garage:

United States

New sensor. Started up and stabler idle. Nice.