BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 10:21:16 PM   #1
RedOctober330

United States

Default TTFS CSL Tune vs 6spd swap

Iím trying to decide which makes more sense; do the TTFS CSL tune for my SMG or swap it to the 6spd. I just picked up a 2004 with 71k on it, and the SMG system doesnít have any issues with it.....yet. Iíve been reading good things about the TTFS SMG tune and given the cost of doing the swap ($3,000 - $5,000, no Iím not doing it myself), and folks say the tune fixes a lot of the problems the SMG has.

I will eventually be tracking the car and so I know what the tune does for downshifts and such. Iíve always been a manual guy, and love the 6spd in my other M3 (I have a Ď02 M3 as well), but given the prices Iíve been quoted, Iím wondering if it makes sense to at least see what the tune is like before I shell out the money for the swap. I also DD the car in the summer sometimes. I really donít want the SMG to blow up on me on the track or driving it and be totally out, but wondering if I should at least see what the $180 tune is like before spending the cash on the swap.

Thoughts? $180 vs $3,000...
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 10:30:52 PM   #2
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Default Re: TTFS CSL Tune vs 6spd swap

I thought the same too! I just got my 04 coupe in smg from my manuals. It does take a few weeks to get used to it but it does get better! I have the CSL software as well. Do the smg relocation kit Leighton is making currently and I think you should be good! Do the csl software 100%
Jump to top SeanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 10:44:01 PM   #3
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

As someone who just did a proper swap (kept the original transmission), it cost me closer to $4,000 with a new clutch, throw-out bearing and very fare labor rates from Matt Coyne.

Unless you have someone local that can do it correctly, I would just go with a CSL flash. I'd try the EcuWorx software first.

Honestly, I kinda miss the SMG. I never thought I'd say that.
Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 11:25:11 PM   #4
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

Just remember to flash both pieces of the csl software (ie engine and trans) if you are going to go that route.

Last edited by neopolymath; Thu, Dec-13-2018 at 03:44:26 AM.
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 11:26:19 PM   #5
Texaz3

United States

Pardon my ignorance - do you install SMG software yourself, or is this a service that can be provided by somebody remotely?
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 12:30:02 AM   #6
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330 View Post
I’m trying to decide which makes more sense; do the TTFS CSL tune for my SMG or swap it to the 6spd. I just picked up a 2004 with 71k on it, and the SMG system doesn’t have any issues with it.....yet. I’ve been reading good things about the TTFS SMG tune and given the cost of doing the swap ($3,000 - $5,000, no I’m not doing it myself), and folks say the tune fixes a lot of the problems the SMG has.

I will eventually be tracking the car and so I know what the tune does for downshifts and such. I’ve always been a manual guy, and love the 6spd in my other M3 (I have a ‘02 M3 as well), but given the prices I’ve been quoted, I’m wondering if it makes sense to at least see what the tune is like before I shell out the money for the swap. I also DD the car in the summer sometimes. I really don’t want the SMG to blow up on me on the track or driving it and be totally out, but wondering if I should at least see what the $180 tune is like before spending the cash on the swap.

Thoughts? $180 vs $3,000...
Neither. Use ECUworx and do the CSL SMG tune yourself. It cost around $25 for a license. Same exact thing as what TTFS charges you $200 for and just as easy/dummy proof to do.

Follow these instructions:
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/

Then, for free, add in the second portion of the tune (the part that flashes on to the SMG DME), the CSL '255' software'. The TTFS tune does NOT include this, they only provide the portion that flashes onto the engine DME. I recommend having both, as both halves of the SMG tune work with each other...plus its free and easy to do.
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/upd...-255-software/
The Daten files referenced in the guide above that you will need for the '255' flash can be found here: https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g

WinkFP which is the free program you use with the daten files for the '255' flash can be found here (also has the daten files here as well): https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

If you need addtional help/support, checkout the coding/tuning section of the forum, here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

If you want to completely bullet proof your SMG, I'd recommend relocating it away from the engine block and reinstalling it in the open passenger side bin, if you end up liking the new CSL software. This gets it away from the hot engine block, which kills the SMG pump overtime, prevents it from overheating in hot, slow-moving conditions, and makes it as simple to work on and exchange parts as changing the oil filter. More info can be found here (shameless plug, because every SMG owner should look into this).
Page 28, post 274 is a good place to start reading: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=274
Source thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...590914&page=28

If you end up interested in the relocation kit after you find out if you like the CSL SMG tune and want to keep SMG (or not), feel free to leave a post in the source thread above. A good place to start is to flash the tune on yourself though. It's easy to do yourself and only around $25 bucks + the cost of a cable if you don't already own one (another $25 bucks) so a very low cost of entry before deciding to swap your transmission or not.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Dec-13-2018 at 12:33:45 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 12:32:24 AM   #7
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

EDIT: Leighton beat me to it....

The CSL SMG Tune totally transforms the SMG! For under $30 you can get the CSL SMG Shift / Rev matching + Inertia fix plus the added features below.

MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=508807

For those that still are not sure what this does, here's the full list of features:

- 155MPH Limiter removal
- SMG Style Shift lights on 6 Speed Manual cars
- Sport memory
- Dyno limit removal
- Increase rev limiter
- CSL SMG Shift / Rev matching + Inertia fix
- Disable secondary air pump
- Enable burble and pop on over run / lift off (Childish but some love it)
- Disable fault code / check engine light for physical removal of the secondary air pump
- Disable fault codes / check engine light for cat deletes
- EWS delete
- Comfort throttle map adjustment
- Sport throttle map adjustment
- Warm up light changes
- Transmission Swap (Manual to SMG and visa versa)
- SMG Final Drive Swap (Fixes auto mode for those with a different differential)
- CSL Intake Flap Delete
- Cruise control enable (CSL / CSL Clone only)
- IAT Temp Sensor swap/re-scale
- MAP Sensor Swap/re-scale
- Checksum correction

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 12:36:43 AM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

+1 for not wasting money on TTFS.
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 02:09:47 AM   #9
RedOctober330

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Neither. Use ECUworx and do the CSL SMG tune yourself. It cost around $25 for a license. Same exact thing as what TTFS charges you $200 for and just as easy/dummy proof to do.

Follow these instructions:
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/

Then, for free, add in the second portion of the tune (the part that flashes on to the SMG DME), the CSL '255' software'. The TTFS tune does NOT include this, they only provide the portion that flashes onto the engine DME. I recommend having both, as both halves of the SMG tune work with each other...plus its free and easy to do.
https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/upd...-255-software/
The Daten files referenced in the guide above that you will need for the '255' flash can be found here: https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g

WinkFP which is the free program you use with the daten files for the '255' flash can be found here (also has the daten files here as well): https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

If you need addtional help/support, checkout the coding/tuning section of the forum, here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

If you want to completely bullet proof your SMG, I'd recommend relocating it away from the engine block and reinstalling it in the open passenger side bin, if you end up liking the new CSL software. This gets it away from the hot engine block, which kills the SMG pump overtime, prevents it from overheating in hot, slow-moving conditions, and makes it as simple to work on and exchange parts as changing the oil filter. More info can be found here (shameless plug, because every SMG owner should look into this).
Page 28, post 274 is a good place to start reading: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=274
Source thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...590914&page=28

If you end up interested in the relocation kit after you find out if you like the CSL SMG tune and want to keep SMG (or not), feel free to leave a post in the source thread above. A good place to start is to flash the tune on yourself though. It's easy to do yourself and only around $25 bucks + the cost of a cable if you don't already own one (another $25 bucks) so a very low cost of entry before deciding to swap your transmission or not.

Phew!!!! This is a HUGE amount of information and really really helpful. I am tempted to try this (reflash) and get the CSL tune first before spending big money on the swap. Iíve always been a 6spd guy but itís a lot of money to spend and since the car will be tracked I know it may be helpful to have SMG vs manual. Iíll also admit it looks intimidating; Iím computer savvy (played around with PASoft a bit), but what youíve described is well above my comfort level. I think Iíll have to read through it more.

I also like the SMG pump relocation; seems like a basic thing BMW should have done to begin with.
Jump to top RedOctober330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 02:50:13 AM   #10
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Read through it. I'm not super computer savvy and did both myself in under an hour. It's very simple. As easy as following the instructions like a recipe. If you get overwhelmed or stuck, just post up your issue and any one of us can walk you through it. Its as simple as clicking some check boxes and having your car plugged up to your laptop.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote