BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 04:25:44 AM   #1
ajhan888

In the garage:

United States

Default Headlight Washer Removal

I have a 2002 E46 M3 coupe with headlight washer feature.

My question is, has anyone completely removed the windshield washer fluid system (tank, nozzles, etc) say for a dedicated track car?

Or has anyone swapped out the tank for just one with one pump for the windshield and bought the headlight trim pieces without the washer nozzle?

Im looking to remove the headlight washer feature as I have no use for it. Thanks
Jump to top ajhan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 04:47:08 AM   #2
lmtfi

United States

Default Re: Headlight Washer Removal

The empty plastic tank weighs almost nothing. The pump motor is tiny and weighs almost nothing.

You can pull the tank easily through the passenger side wheel well.

The weight is negligible compared to the gains from stripping the interior, sunroof cassette, battery replacement etc.
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 04:47:27 AM   #3
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Easiest way is to just pull out the headlight washers and block off the washer pump at the pump. Also disconnect the electrical connector at the pump. Then you can buy new pieces with not washer feature and paint to match.
If you are doing this for a track car you will have saved approx 8 oz in weight.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 02:38:08 PM   #4
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I nixed mine.

Lots of small changes add up, and this is all weight on the nose of the car (best place to lose it).

I think people are also ignoring the weight of the rubber hosing the moves the fluid, which is heavier than the pump.

I got a set of non headlight washer trim bits on here from a guy selling a set.

My winter plan is to relocate my battery (only 8 lbs, lithium ion) into the drug bin, and put a e39 high intensity washer tank in there with it (tiny), which I'll fill with the high intensity fluid. The battery cable running to the trunk is 8 lbs, which is the weight of my entire battery

If you want to make your car lighter, without gutting the interior/ruining it as a street car, these are the exact sort of projects to do. It's a much more slow/tedious process then making the car suck for anything other than track work. But, it's exactly what BMW did with the CSL, which was 3050 lbs with SMG... so my target is sub 3000 without SMG with full interior/back seat and a quiet muffler

... and I'm looking to be there next spring.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 03:44:50 PM   #5
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

^ Why are you moving the battery to the front?

I wanted to do this before as well - no need, another pump to break, not as clean looking - but people said they had washer lights on the dashboard and could not figure out the fuse to remove that. Not an issue for a track car, but not what I wanted. This was some years ago so maybe now there's a workaround.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 03:48:02 PM   #6
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post
To get rid of the 8lb battery cable that runs all the way to the trunk.
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 04:07:33 PM   #7
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post

I wanted to do this before as well - no need, another pump to break, not as clean looking - but people said they had washer lights on the dashboard and could not figure out the fuse to remove that. Not an issue for a track car, but not what I wanted. This was some years ago so maybe now there's a workaround.
There is no washer light on the cluster to ignite.

There is the fluid level light, but that won't be tripped by pulling the headlight washers. You can disable that by shorting it or opening it (whatever the default full position is)-- no specific resistor needed.

And, yeah, moving the battery to the front to get rid of the 8 lbs cable.

Which is part of a larger project-- I'm going to replace the head unit with an android one with an internal amp, and remove the entire stereo/accessory harness from the trunk, the brackets, the modules, etc. I'm thinking with the battery cable delete, MKIV, bluetooth, BM53, amp, intravee, KCA420i, trunk stereo wiring (the functionality of which is all included inaisw a modern head unit), and the brackets that hold it all together/in place, I should be able to get ~30-40 lbs out of the car (the battery cable alone being a known 8 lbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by youinreverse View Post
To get rid of the 8lb battery cable that runs all the way to the trunk.

BMW even made a bracket and wiring for it, used in the 4 cylinder e46 compacts:

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 04:33:10 PM   #8
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
There is no washer light on the cluster to ignite.

There is the fluid level light, but that won't be tripped by pulling the headlight washers. You can disable that by shorting it or opening it (whatever the default full position is)-- no specific resistor needed.

And, yeah, moving the battery to the front to get rid of the 8 lbs cable.

Which is part of a larger project-- I'm going to replace the head unit with an android one with an internal amp, and remove the entire stereo/accessory harness from the trunk, the brackets, the modules, etc. I'm thinking with the battery cable delete, MKIV, bluetooth, BM53, amp, intravee, KCA420i, trunk stereo wiring (the functionality of which is all included inaisw a modern head unit), and the brackets that hold it all together/in place, I should be able to get ~30-40 lbs out of the car (the battery cable alone being a known 8 lbs).

BMW even made a bracket and wiring for it, used in the 4 cylinder e46 compacts:

I believe I shorted mine, no light. Frees up weight from the very front of the car, makes room for brake ducting, and is one less thing I hardly ever used.

That's really fascinating about the 4 cyl...

Last edited by Drewster; Wed, Jul-19-2017 at 04:42:56 PM.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-20-2017, 01:26:27 PM   #9
///M3 MD

In the garage:

United States

I know a few people have alluded to the general process. Just figured I would chime in with a brief "DIY sequence" since no one really "spelled it out." I just did this over the weekend and honestly it was one of the easier projects I've taken on since I've removed my headlights multiple times before.

1) Remove the headlights and unscrew the washer units from the bracket beneath the headlight.
2) Remove the hosing running to the washer units, you won't be able to remove the hose that runs to the driverside headlight without removing the clutch fan, it appears that it runs right in front of the radiator, so I just left it.
3) Track the hosing back to the washer tank and remove the motor at the washer tank, have a bucket ready to drain the tank if you have any washer fluid left. (To get to the washer tank you have to access through the passenger side wheel well. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right, you should be able to access enough of the screws/clips to pull down the fender liner without having to remove the wheel.)
4) Once you remove the washer motor at the pump you can plug it with a rubber plug from the hardware store and seal it with silicone. Let the silicone cure overnight prior to refilling the washer tank. (Plug is roughly 1/2", about the diameter of your small/pinky finger)

There is no need to "code out" an idiot light, there is no light tied to the washer units. (at least this was the case in my 2002 (build date 9/01).

2002 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT ///M3
Euro Headers, Dinan Section 3
Autosolutions 30% SSK - Poly RTABs, FCABs, Diff and Trans bushings
CMP Stage 2.5 Rear Subframe Kit w/ Plates & AKG aluminum subframe bushings
BMW Motorsport 4.10 R&P w/ E39 M5 rebuilt LSD
DSS 1000hp Rear Axles
Dinan 'Stage 1' Suspension

Jump to top ///M3 MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-17-2018, 10:25:00 PM   #10
empty

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
put a e39 high intensity washer tank in there with it (tiny), which I'll fill with the high intensity fluid.
Tell us more about this please.

Any ideas about the wiring?

Thx
Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote