BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 05:00:14 AM   #1
ViperZ

In the garage:

Canada

Default ViperZ's 2006 Carbon Black M3

New parts!

2013-06-04 Took the M3 out Auto X for the first time, what a blast!

Summary of Mods:

Engine
  • AFE Super Stock Intake
  • Evolve-R Tune

Exteriour
  • CSL Full Carbon Diffuser
  • EuroSPort 3" Exhaust Tips

Lighting
  • Orion V4 6000K Angel Eyes
  • Lightwerkz FX-45 Projector Upgrade
  • D2S Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI HID Capsules
  • HID 5000k Fog Lamps
  • Depo 9 Array LED Amber Corners
  • Weisslicht Smoked LED Side Markers
  • Weisslicht LED Licence Plate Lamps
  • Cree 9 Watt LED Reverse Lamps
  • Smoked Bumper Reflectors

Interior
  • Storm Motorwerks V3 SMG Stainless Steel Shift Knob and Gaiter Ring
  • Carbon SMG Shifter Paddles
  • Dynavin D99+ Nav/MP3 Head Unit
  • LED Interior lighting Replacement
  • Aluminum M Engraved Pedal Set

Rolling
  • Forgestar F14 Wheels 19x8.5 Front ET 26 - 19x10 Rear ET -19
  • Continental Extremecontact DW Tires 245/35/19 F - 275/30/19 R
  • BMW Center Caps
  • BMW Valve Stems & Caps

Suspension
  • Eibach Prokit Springs
  • Bilstein HD Dampers

Brakes
  • Stoptech ST-40 355x32 BBK Front and Back

Original Start of Journal
================================================== ====

Hello All,

This is my 2006 E46 M3 that I picked up in Aug 8, 2012. It is a Canadian car originally from Vancouver, I'm the third owner of the car. It had 58,000 km (36,039 miles), when I bought it. It now has just a tick over 60,000 km before I parked it for winter. The fellow I bought it from seldom drove the car, thus decided to sell it. He had bought it from a person that moved out to Saskatoon from Vancouver, and owned it for 3 years.

The car is Carbon Black with a Black leather interior, SMG transmission, Sunroof, Cold weather package 18 inch wheels with the original Continental Sport Contact tires. They have just barely a season left in them. I was not really particular to SMG or 6MT, however I guess I did want a SMG car, for I feel this makes the car special. I have owned and driven many manual transmission cars in my life, and still own and drive my 1992 E36 325i with 5 speed manual.

The car was bone stock when I picked it up, and you can tell it was looked after pretty well, I think. All services and inspections were performed at the local BMW dealer, and a sales inspection showed the car needed nothing except tires once the season was over.

In my mind I was planning on leaving it pretty much stock, however I knew in my heart I would have to do a few things to it... Seeing all the great cars here is just inspiring to me, and although I know I could never invest the same time, money of effort into my car as some of the others here, I'll certainly try and see where the car ends up. Feel free to tell me at anytime if the car has gone too far, or if I've just gone and done something silly.

I have to say I'm a hobby photographer, and I love taking pictures, but for some reason I'm very self conscious about taking pictures of my car(s). Maybe this will change over time, but I apologize for my lack of overall or quality pictures, at times I just quickly snap the shot and hope nobody notices me doing it

Just after I bought the car I took it to the car wash, I have always felt this a good chance to get intimate with the car and really start to get to know it.

After leaving the carwash I looked for some place to grab some shots

Here are some daytime shots of the car

The first mod I performed was installation of Weisslicht 6000K Angel Eyes that I ordered at Bimmian.com. Installation was pretty straight forward, and I love the looks of them. When I rolled into my BMW dealer one day checking out cars, the sales man came out and started chatting me up about my car, saying how much he liked the look of my AE's. He also praised me on the condition of my car.

Those were before I had the daytime running lights disabled. I purchased a BMW scanner for $45 and disabled the DRL as I like the look of it without

The next item were the orange reflectors on the bumper. Rather than go with a painted blank, I thought it may look better if it was still something like a smoked reflector. I like the way it looks, I suppose dark cars can get away with this as at a distance, it just looks like a blank anyway

It wasn't long before I knew I had to do something about the OEM R2-D2 SMG shifter. I have always liked the Integra Type R aluminum shifter, so did a Google search for Aluminum E46 M3 SMG shifter. One of the first hits was the Storm Motorwerks on out of England. They showed what was exactly what I was looking for fully engraved to show the SMG shift pattern. An email to Bilal at SMW had him also offering to me a new gaiter ring not show on their site to match the shifter knob. He said I would be the first in Left hand drive car and in NA to have this. I said ship them Bilal! I was not disappointed, as this felt so much better, and looked so much better to me. I have always disliked the OEM SMG shifter.

The R2 D2

The Storm Motorwerks V3 with Matching Ring

Next up was the OEM SMG paddles. While I didn't dislike these, I often felt they were limited in hand positions for shifting. A quick read around the forums showed the hot ticket was the elongated paddles that allowed shift from the 7 and 4 OClock positions, as well as a higher 11 and 2 position. I went with carbon levers rather than aluminum as they felt they would not look as stark and big as the aluminum ones I seen, I'm glad I did as I di like the feel of carbon levers against my fingers. It reminds me so much of my Campagnolo Record 10 shift levers on my road bike.

Here you can see the shortcomings of the OEM Paddles

Carbon levers installed

The car had 2 dents that I needed to have removed. I trip to the Dent clinic had it body all dent free.

Fixed

Next up was the Dynavin D99+ unit from J & T Distributing. Jeff was a great help in this as I was pondering what to do. I bought the backup camera, but decided against installing it. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the OEM Business CD player. The Parrot Blue Tooth works well, and overall it makes the car feel much newer than a 2006.

I wanted to convert the car to full LED, so I purchased the Depo LED corners and the Wiesslicht LED Side markers. I think they give the car a nice updated look, match well with the LED tails and the flash is instant on and brilliant!

OEM

Wiesslicht Amber Smoked

OEM

Depo 9 Array LED

I also added 7 watt Cree Reverse Projectors that are super bright, these things Kick!

Incandescent on the left, Cree LED on the right

That's about as far as I got before I parked it for the winter. I do have some other things in the works, but it will be late spring before I can get at them now.

I received the Tires for my new wheels yet to come. I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW 245/35/19 Front & 275/30/19 Back

I Love the Low Profile!

Just this past weekend I removed the headlight buckets to be shipped off to Caesar at Lightwerkz for the FX-45/TSRX projector upgrade. I had read a lot of good things around the forum regarding this mod, and had to have it. I have retro fitted E65 Bi-Xenon's to my E36, which work very well. I would have liked to performed this mod myself, however my project bench is pretty full for the winter, and I hear Caesar does outstanding work, so I let it to the experts.

My overcrowded workbench

So that's the end of the photos and my first entry into the journal. 4 months condensed into one post

I have purchased a set of Eibach Pro-Kit Springs to lower the car slightly. I will also be getting the Koni dampers to go with this set-up. I was planning on the KW V2 coil overs, but after reading quite a few posts, I was scared of the harsher and possible stiffer ride. I thought I would try this path first and see how it works out. I plan to track my car a few times next summer, but really wanted it more for street and touring use.

Also ordered is a set of Forgestar F14 wheels in 8.5x19 Front, and 10x19 Super Deep Concave Rear, as well as a Full set of Stoptech ST-40 355mm BBK. Jurrian of Modbargains,com just presented me a Black Friday deal I could not refuse...

Stay Tuned!

2006 Carbon Black/Black - M3 Journal

Last edited by ViperZ; Sat, Jul-20-2013 at 01:55:44 AM.
Jump to top ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 05:32:14 AM   #2
Nofar

United States

Default Re: ViperZ's 2006 Carbon Black M3

Congrats on the car, and the journal looks great. Keep it clean and "OEM plus" in my opinion, and you can't go wrong. I've done some minor modifications/nothing major and I'm so happy with what I've done.

I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my car. If you need pictures let me know. I love the way they look and the drop was perfect.

2006 M3 ZCP. Interlagos Blue on Dove Grey. 6 speed manual.
Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni externally adjustable F&R shocks / DDM Aluminum Pedals / BMW Performance Short Shift Kit / Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) removed / Painted reflectors / Stealth bulbs / Turner 15mm/10mm front/rear spacers.
Jump to top Nofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 05:46:22 AM   #3
ViperZ

In the garage:

Canada

Thanks Christopher! Yes, I'll try to keep it OEM Plus..

I would love to see some pictures of your car with the springs! good to hear it workd well for you.

Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 05:50:37 AM   #4
Dustyice
Poor College Student

In the garage:

United States

Wow beautiful ride!! looks absolutely mint!! great mods so far

looking forward to updates
Jump to top Dustyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 07:03:03 AM   #5
Nofar

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Thanks Christopher! Yes, I'll try to keep it OEM Plus..

I would love to see some pictures of your car with the springs! good to hear it workd well for you.
I have a thread with my minor modifications (Eibach springs, color matched reflectors, stealth bulbs, spacers, etc): http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=417281

I have tons of other pictures of my car with the Eibach setup both with the OEM 19 inch ZCP wheels and now with my 18 inch OEM wheels (like yours). If you want more pictures let me know and I can email them to you.

2006 M3 ZCP. Interlagos Blue on Dove Grey. 6 speed manual.
Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni externally adjustable F&R shocks / DDM Aluminum Pedals / BMW Performance Short Shift Kit / Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) removed / Painted reflectors / Stealth bulbs / Turner 15mm/10mm front/rear spacers.
Jump to top Nofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 11:48:23 AM   #6
ViperZ

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyice View Post
Wow beautiful ride!! looks absolutely mint!! great mods so far

looking forward to updates
Thanks! She needs a few more minor things, but it's been really fun just owning this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofar View Post
I have a thread with my minor modifications (Eibach springs, color matched reflectors, stealth bulbs, spacers, etc): http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=417281

I have tons of other pictures of my car with the Eibach setup both with the OEM 19 inch ZCP wheels and now with my 18 inch OEM wheels (like yours). If you want more pictures let me know and I can email them to you.
I had a look, your car is beautiful, so clean looking, Well done,, thanks!

Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 12:01:06 PM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Great looking ride.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 02:45:00 PM   #8
Jonzny

In the garage:

United States

Only thing missing are some ZCP rims. Car looks amazing!

Catless Headers | 8.2k Redline | ST Coilovers | Powerflex RTABS & FCABS
Jump to top Jonzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 08:01:03 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Congrats on the new car! You are going to love to the Lightwerkz headlights!

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-28-2012, 08:25:50 PM   #10
ModBargains III
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Can't wait to see what's next,

Elliott Goodman | Modification Expert | Elliott@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8011
We Specialize In: BMW M3 Wheels | BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW M3 Parts | KW Coilovers |
HRE Flow Formed Wheels | StopTech Group buy #2!
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Check out the Blog! or add me on Facebook! for daily updates and discounts!
Jump to top ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote