BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:25:31 AM   #1
Tarmac_E36_M3
If it ain't lightweight, it ain't the right weight.

In the garage:

United States

Default Carbon Fiber driveshaft... where to find one? OH! It's on Tarmac's car!

Yes, you read right. I have installed the ACPT CF DS this week and it feels amazing! I wish I had more time and will update with more info, especially the more I drive it. Any questions, ask away!

Bottom line... you definitely feel a difference. Just regular street driving you can feel how smooth the trans shifts now, up and down. The loud M clunk... is basically gone. Feels smoooooth!

Once I get to drive around more I can say more, but for now... all I can say is that this CF DS is sweet.

Past fun:
69 Mustang
E46 M3 385 HP
GR STI 375 HP
GD STI 320 HP
E36 M3 250 HP
Jump to top Tarmac_E36_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:32:32 AM   #2
StevoTheHobo
Literally passes gas for a living

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Carbon Fiber driveshaft... where to find one? OH! It's on Tarmac's car!

Any info on how much weight is saved?

2003.5 TiAg ///M3 "Betsy," Black Nappa interior
Jump to top StevoTheHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:32:41 AM   #3
Tchleung

Canada

Default Re: Carbon Fiber driveshaft... where to find one? OH! It's on Tarmac's car!

PICS!!! Price? How long was the wait?

09 X54.4 - Parts Hauler/Daily

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
462whp/311wtq @ 9.5psi(SuperFlow)
Now at 11 PSI...
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Jump to top Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:35:14 AM   #4
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

How much doe the CF DS's go for and what's are the weight savings?
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:36:03 AM   #5
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Any potential downsides to doing this mod? Price? Installation difficulty?

I recall reading a thread a while back where a forum member installed one and had some fitment issues...

I also heard that for a street car and normal city driving that doing this mod is a waste of time and money...

Anyone care to chime in and help answering my questions? lol

TIA
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 01:47:38 AM   #6
04cbM3

United States

How hard was the install?
Did you have to replace the guibo or any other connecting parts?
Is there a noticeable difference in power, gas mileage, etc?
Lots of pics!

Also an off topic question for you. I saw a set of carbon fiber doors do you have any experience them?

Last edited by 04cbM3; Sat, Jul-28-2012 at 01:52:48 AM.
Jump to top 04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 02:06:17 AM   #7
Tarmac_E36_M3
If it ain't lightweight, it ain't the right weight.

In the garage:

United States

Wow... didn't expect this many posts so quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoTheHobo View Post
Any info on how much weight is saved?
I believe it's around 8 lbs. I'll weight the parts when I get them (forgot them at the shop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
PICS!!! Price? How long was the wait?
I'll ask the shop for the pics, they took some. I bought it from another member for 750; I believe retail is around 1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
How much doe the CF DS's go for and what's are the weight savings?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzeep View Post
Any potential downsides to doing this mod? Price? Installation difficulty?

I recall reading a thread a while back where a forum member installed one and had some fitment issues...

I also heard that for a street car and normal city driving that doing this mod is a waste of time and money...

Anyone care to chime in and help answering my questions? lol

TIA
Downside... it's not cheap unless you get a deal like me, lol.

Installation is easy. Since I had an insurance claim to help pay for labor, i had the shop do it. But no different then doing the flex disk and then the other end of the DS.

I read that too, about a member having an issue. But I also read one where a member loved it. Those are the only 2 I've heard of, before installing. So I took a chance... and it worked out fine.

Street car may be a waste of time and money.. but come'on man... you know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville View Post
How hard was the install?
Did you have to replace the guibo or any other connecting parts?
Is there a noticeable difference in power, gas mileage, etc?
Lots of pics!

Also an off topic question for you. I saw a set of carbon fiber doors do you have any experience them?
I did the flex disc at the same time, so the labor wasn't much different. actually, I did those 2 plus my SS V1 headers and section 1. So I saved a ton of time and money in the end.

Power, not sure. But it does respond a LOT better. I took off like I normally do, from a light, and chirped the tires twice. Unintentionally. So response is very nice; I'd compare it to a lightweight flywheel... without the chatter. shifting feels a lot smoother as well.

CF doors are bad ass.. but you basically lose all the capabilities of using your windows. Unless you can find someone that can some how reinforce the inside of the doors to hold the motor and then you probably should run a lexan side window, to keep wieght down on the door. End state: I think it's possible, but it will take a lot of money to make it work on a DD. Track car... easy, since you don't need all that window crap.

Past fun:
69 Mustang
E46 M3 385 HP
GR STI 375 HP
GD STI 320 HP
E36 M3 250 HP
Jump to top Tarmac_E36_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 02:09:03 AM   #8
J.J4ck0wsk1
4ut0strd4

United States

Basically what everyone else has already asked.. This may be a possibility in the not so near future for me once my driveshaft and components start to go. Only at 45k now though .

04 Imola Red E46 ///M3 Coupe M/T
Jump to top J.J4ck0wsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 02:19:30 AM   #9
04cbM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E36_M3 View Post

I did the flex disc at the same time, so the labor wasn't much different. actually, I did those 2 plus my SS V1 headers and section 1. So I saved a ton of time and money in the end.

Power, not sure. But it does respond a LOT better. I took off like I normally do, from a light, and chirped the tires twice. Unintentionally. So response is very nice; I'd compare it to a lightweight flywheel... without the chatter. shifting feels a lot smoother as well.

CF doors are bad ass.. but you basically lose all the capabilities of using your windows. Unless you can find someone that can some how reinforce the inside of the doors to hold the motor and then you probably should run a lexan side window, to keep wieght down on the door. End state: I think it's possible, but it will take a lot of money to make it work on a DD. Track car... easy, since you don't need all that window crap.
I bet your car hauls a$$. do you track it at all? I would really like to see how that drive shaft performs when really pushed especially paired with those mods.
Jump to top 04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 02:42:30 AM   #10
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

How do you plan to detach it from the diff if you need to do anything that requires the driveshaft to come out?

(that's why I refused to install it and sent it back-- seemed like the only way to remove it for work was to snap it in half).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote