BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 01:46:31 AM   #1
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist

In the garage:

United States

Default Megan Coilover issue.

So basically, I had the car up on the rack last week to try and figure out why my car pulls to the left. It got worse after my last track day.

You guys won't believe what we found lol.

Turns out, where the coilover meets the camber plate, there's a rubber bushing. Now this is fairly common with street coilovers, as you may already know.

The issue is this, when I crank the wheel far enough to make a say 90 degree turn, the coilovers turn inside that rubber bushing. BUT, when I return the wheels to strait, the coilover binds inside that bushing and stays turned to the left. It will return to center, or beyond center when I turn the car to the right, which is where it will remain until I turn the car again.

Anyone heard of this? I tried lubing the busing to no avail. Banging my head with this!
Jump to top qtrlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 03:52:49 AM   #2
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Re: Megan Coilover issue.

how much of your time these coilovers worth for you?
they are cheap imitations, you will always have some kind of issues with them.
get yourself a nice set of good coilovers.
putting ebay parts on car is just wrong...

most here have real coilovers and/or saving up for some.
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 04:08:59 AM   #3
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Damn! What kind of coilovers are these? I'm staying away...
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 05:41:31 AM   #4
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NNM View Post
putting ebay parts on car is just wrong...
I appreciate your useful insight, however I'm coming to the community to see if anyone else has had this issue. I did not buy this coilovers and have them installed, they came on the car when it was purchased. I'm planning on a different set of coilovers suited to my needs, but funding two race teams means I'm working on a budget for my street car, and I'd like to mend the problem at hand until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
Damn! What kind of coilovers are these? I'm staying away...
Megan
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 06:28:36 AM   #5
tbaker474

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMaroZ View Post
I appreciate your useful insight, however I'm coming to the community to see if anyone else has had this issue. I did not buy this coilovers and have them installed, they came on the car when it was purchased. I'm planning on a different set of coilovers suited to my needs, but funding two race teams means I'm working on a budget for my street car, and I'd like to mend the problem at hand until then.

Megan
I'd assume you're already paying some competent mechanics seeing as you're funding two race teams. They can't diagnose this issue for you?
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 06:39:40 AM   #6
Taunto

Canada

Wow I cant believe the Ignorant coments people reply with.

Do you have a rough idea what the mileage on these coilovers is? do they see hard frequent track days? It could be just that the bushing is worn out and starting to dry up. Hard to say for sure without being there and seeing the car first hand. Maybe you can buy replacement bushings...im not to sure on that. Hope you get the car fixed soon tho. Keep us posted on what it turns out to be.
Jump to top Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 05:22:04 PM   #7
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

If you are planning on different set, do so.
Megan racing is a knock off. They don't have spare parts, and they will fail regardless of mileage or track use.
Since they came on the car, you either rig it up somehow or get a different set.

You want useful input? Post pics! Maybe then we could help you rig it up until you get a good brand.
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 06:09:48 PM   #8
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaker474 View Post
I'd assume you're already paying some competent mechanics seeing as you're funding two race teams. They can't diagnose this issue for you?
Funding two teams means you get to be your own mechanics! Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Wow I cant believe the Ignorant coments people reply with.

Do you have a rough idea what the mileage on these coilovers is? do they see hard frequent track days? It could be just that the bushing is worn out and starting to dry up. Hard to say for sure without being there and seeing the car first hand. Maybe you can buy replacement bushings...im not to sure on that. Hope you get the car fixed soon tho. Keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

I think they have about 25k on them. They saw 1 track day under my foot. They felt stiff and the high speed damping left me lacking confidence in them. At the end of the day the spanner nuts came loose. So I tightened them up and went home after 3 runs(about 45 laps). I'll try contacting Megan this week and see what they have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NNM View Post
If you are planning on different set, do so.
Megan racing is a knock off. They don't have spare parts, and they will fail regardless of mileage or track use.
Since they came on the car, you either rig it up somehow or get a different set.

You want useful input? Post pics! Maybe then we could help you rig it up until you get a good brand.
I'll try and make some time to take some photos to better explain whats going on. Just need a fix so I can continue to drive to work to make the money required to pay for these new coilovers! My friend works at JIC Magic Suspension, and being that the car will be converted to mostly track car over the next few years, I might just go with one of their setups. Might be able to get a little discount if I slap a few stickers on the car when it sees track duty.
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 06:48:58 PM   #9
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist

In the garage:

United States

Here's a 5 photo sequence showing the top of the coilover going from left, to center, to right, to center, to left. In total it turns about 60-80 degrees. The issue is that it doesn't turn free. It binds in the rubber bushing below it. I'll get these over to Megan too.

Full left

To center

To right

To center

To left
Old Sun, Feb-19-2012, 06:55:25 PM   #10
CLAWHAMM3R
BELOW M3

United States

You probably need new camber plates/pillow balls.