BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Wed, May-25-2011, 09:01:55 PM   #1
rfowlerm3

Default 2008 E92 M3 Brake Rotors Warping

Here's my situation:

I purchased a 2008 E92 M3 in early 2009. After about 8K miles the steering wheel would shake while lightly applying the brakes at 70+mph. So I took the car into the dealership and they said the rotors are warped. They replaced them with new pads and rotors. Everything was back to normal. However after another 6k miles I got the same problem happening again. So I took it back in and they replaced them a 2nd time. Keep in mind I had only gone through 10% of my pads from the first time they replaced the rotors to the 2nd time so it's not like I as doing any excessive braking. Then what happens? After another 6k miles the same warping again. So they replace it one more time and tell me this is the last time. Of course they warp again after another 6k miles after the 3rd time and BMW refuses to replace them anymore telling me that the reason this is happening is because I am abusing the vehicle. Now I've owned an E36, E46 and E92 M3 the past 12 years. I have NEVER had any problems with any of them until this one. I have only tracked the current M3 one time at a BMW sponsored event before any rotors were replaced.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problem with their E90/E92 M3 in that the brake rotors are warping under normal driving?
Jump to top rfowlerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-28-2011, 08:00:07 AM   #2
JIO

Default Re: 2008 E92 M3 Brake Rotors Warping

Are they/you really sure they are warped and not just pad buildup? If only 10% of the pads are worn, how can they possibly claim you are abusing the brakes. The stock BMW pads are so soft as to keep them from squealing that one track day on stock pads will totally wear them out. I'm wondering if the calipers are sticking and causing a lot of heat on the rotors. When i tracked my E46 M3 regularly, I came in off the track and my front rotors were reading over 900 (that's as high as my temp gun went). I never warped a rotor, although I did get pad buildup which caused the rotors to vibrate for about a week. It did finally go away.
Jump to top JIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-28-2011, 03:01:35 PM   #3
MJMM3

United States

No problems in 36K miles including 4-5 track days. Still on original pads. Any chance the techs are over-torquing the lug nuts? When my car came back from the dealer after a brake fluid flush, I noticed the lugs were torqued at 200+. My torque wrench only went to 200 so who knows what it really was? I had to get a long hollow tube to slip over the torque wrench to break the lugs loose. This mite have an effect on the rotors after a while.
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-28-2011, 08:13:12 PM   #4
ClutchKickChris

United States

It's likely inconsistent pad deposit buildups across the rotors surface. You'd probably be best off trying an aftermarket higher temperature brake pad.

Jump to top ClutchKickChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-17-2012, 05:49:30 AM   #5
drhodds

United States

I have recently experienced problems with my 2011 m3's brake as well. I experienced similar pulsating feel from the steering wheel after a day of track driving. My driving style was not too different from driving the Porsche. I also experienced frequent fading in the brake response during the 20-30 min session. I replaced the front rotors and pads as dealer wouldn't replace them under warranty. After a month with the new rotors and pads I took it to the track again. Driving more carefully and not slamming on the brake as hard as before. The pulsation in steering wheel returned again! Instead of returning to the dealer I took the car to a private shop to find a solution. The mechanic showed me the overheated pads and marks they left on the rotors. I was also told other owners have experienced similar problems due to over heated pads.

I am in the process of upgrading to a set of after market solid rotors and track pads. Will report back when I get more time on them.
Jump to top drhodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-19-2012, 05:27:37 PM   #6
av2

United States

Pull the handbrake when the rotors are hot will cause warping as well. Make sure to let your rotors cool down after some hot laps before pulling the HB.

E92 M3 DCT
Ferrari F430 F1
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Jump to top av2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-11-2013, 08:37:18 PM   #7
jpuzas

United States

One possible answer is Disc Thickness Variation or (DTV).

If your hub or rotor has excess runout it will cause the rotor to contact the pads every time the wheel goes through a rotation (even when the brakes are not applied). After 6K miles you can do the math to see how many times the rotor will contact the pad (in the millions) and slightly wear the rotor. After many brushes past the pads, the rotor wears and causes a condition where one part of the rotor is thinner than the rest causing the pistons to move out and then when the pads get to the thicker part of the rotor feeling like they are "warped". My guess is that you have this problem. Read the following article for a complete explanation. Take this article to your dealer and ask them to do the measurements.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...omplaints.aspx

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Jump to top jpuzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-12-2013, 03:47:41 AM   #8
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuzas View Post
One possible answer is Disc Thickness Variation or (DTV).

If your hub or rotor has excess runout it will cause the rotor to contact the pads every time the wheel goes through a rotation (even when the brakes are not applied). After 6K miles you can do the math to see how many times the rotor will contact the pad (in the millions) and slightly wear the rotor. After many brushes past the pads, the rotor wears and causes a condition where one part of the rotor is thinner than the rest causing the pistons to move out and then when the pads get to the thicker part of the rotor feeling like they are "warped". My guess is that you have this problem. Read the following article for a complete explanation. Take this article to your dealer and ask them to do the measurements.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...omplaints.aspx

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...
Jump to top MMME30W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-14-2013, 12:30:14 PM   #9
chuglobal

In the garage:

United States

Interesting ... wouldn't this be a design issue?
Jump to top chuglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-14-2013, 04:22:43 PM   #10
blackmist27
Shake and Bake!

In the garage:

United States

weird...i got nothing

Instagram: Blackmist27
2011 E82 1M BSM 642 of 740 (Current)
2011 E92 M3 AW Comp (SOLD)
2004 E46 M3 TIAG (SOLD)