BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-18-2013, 08:03:08 AM   #11
ednatetu

United States

Default Re: Cam position sensor error code: P0340 sensor A. Exhaust or Intake?

I will surely update the results once i'm done fixing it. Hopefully it'll help others like this article helped me
Jump to top ednatetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-03-2015, 01:38:52 PM   #12
grawhybmw323ci

United Kingdom

Hi guys I have the same error code. My engine started to lose power a couple of times while driving then stopped all together. It won't start at the moment. The P0340 code showed as well as P1397 and codes P0301, P0304, P0305 and P0306. These are all misfire codes. Would these misfires be caused by the cam sensor failing? Sorry I'm not really mechanically minded.
Jump to top grawhybmw323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-04-2015, 02:07:33 PM   #13
Pnick

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawhybmw323ci View Post
Hi guys I have the same error code. My engine started to lose power a couple of times while driving then stopped all together. It won't start at the moment. The P0340 code showed as well as P1397 and codes P0301, P0304, P0305 and P0306. These are all misfire codes. Would these misfires be caused by the cam sensor failing? Sorry I'm not really mechanically minded.
When a camshaft position sensor goes out, the crankshaft position sensor is used for the purpose of maintaining emergency operation.

Camshaft position sensor A is the intake sensor if I'm not mistaken.
There's a 20A fuse (F3) in the electronics box that feeds both camshaft sensors, You might want to check that also.

Check the ground connections X6462 also. They might visually look ok but I would disconnect and clean them and the chassis part they connect to. And come to think of it, the crankshaft position sensor is fed off the same ground X6462 via X6491 connector.

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!

Last edited by Pnick; Fri, May-15-2015 at 02:54:51 AM.
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-04-2015, 05:49:19 PM   #14
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Your intake sensor is going faulty. Check my thread out OP but some useful bits.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=486386

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
So a few weeks ago I was driving my M3 around and the "service engine soon" light illuminated on my dash. The car still drove fine. No loss in power or changes in idle or strange noises. I arrived at my office, whipped out my OBD-II Bluetooth adapter, plugged it in, and pulled up the Torque app on my phone. The app pulled codes P0365 - Powertrain (camshaft position sensor B circuit bank 1) and P0017 - Powertrain. Just to confirm I ventured on over to my local Advance Auto Parts store to use one of their code readers. I pulled the codes P0365 (camshaft position sensor B circuit bank 1) and P0017 (crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor B). I reset the codes to see if they would reappear. After all, I wasn't having any noticeable issues while driving.

A week later the SES light illuminated again on my dash. I was driving around, again without issue. As I slowed down and approached a stoplight, the car begin to feel a little shaky, almost like a more subtle vibration that is experienced with a bad coil. There was no drop in idle, but the exhaust tone changed. It would rise, then fall, rise, then fall. I proceeded through the light and the car drove like normal. A day later, the light went away.

I had read threads where other M3 owners had went hundreds, if not thousands of issues without changing out the sensor and their cars continue to be driveable.

Now another downside I noticed driving around with this sensor being faulty and intermittently failing is that my fuel consumption increased/mpg dropped. I was going to the gas station more often than what I was accustomed to and when I finally checked the onboard computer for the average mpg, it was much lower than what I have recorded historically.

So aside from the few symptoms I had, which none of them hindered the car from being operable, the car drove and accelerated like normal.

You're probably wondering what exactly do the codes really mean though. Well to start, the wording camshaft sensor means exactly that, camshaft sensor. Seeing that the S54 has 2 camshafts, bank 1 is the passenger side of the engine while bank 2 is the driver side of the engine. Sensor A is the intake side of the engine while sensor B is the exhaust side of the engine.

Okay so now you're probably wondering how these sensors operate and what exactly are their purpose. Camshaft position sensors do what their name imply; measure the positioning of the camshaft. They are magnetic pulse generators that create their own voltage when the toothed camshaft sprocket rotates next to the magnet in the sensor. The DME notes the voltage to monitor where the camshaft is in rotation. The calculations are used for fuel injection timing and to know when each valve is opening. The DME is then able to make precise and minute adjustments to fuel injection timing. Engine performance, fuel efficiency, and emissions are the main factors affected by the precise timing the sensors help provide.

Here is a picture of the location of the exhaust position camshaft sensor on the S54. It is on the exhaust side of the engine to the rear, just before rounding the corner to the backside of the engine.

Here is a picture of the clip. It is on the bottom side of the sensor. To release, squeeze the clip tight so that it opens, and pull firmly at the head of the wire harness just where it mates with the sensor. Be careful not to pull too much, or you may risk tearing the wire.

Here is a picture of the screw that holds the sensor in place. It is a 5mm hex.

Here is a picture of the old exhaust camshaft position sensor still installed. I have the valve cover removed and you can actually see the magnetic portion of the sensor on the inner side of the engine. The intake camshaft position sensor mirrors the exact same location on the intake camshaft.

Tips...

The install took about ~30 minutes. I was already doing a valve clearance check so I decided to replace the old sensor while the valve cover was removed. At the minimum the strut tower brace and microfilter housing should be removed to provide adequate room to replace the sensor. I found that the space was so tight on the backside of the engine, that I was only able to use a 5mm hex key and had to make incremental turns. The screw threads had blue Loctite on them, so be sure to dab a little bit back on the screw threads when you install the new sensor.

The part number is 13627796054. However I saw that part number 13622249320 is the same part, fits our cars, and is slightly cheaper on some websites.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-07-2015, 06:05:33 AM   #15
grawhybmw323ci

United Kingdom

Thanks guys. I'll replace both sensors and see if that solves the problem.
Jump to top grawhybmw323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-19-2015, 04:56:32 AM   #16
kürzcoupé46

In the garage:

United States

Pretty much the Same issue/symptoms as you guys. Car has a slight shake at rest. Exhaust is deeper and kind of puffs in unison with the shake. I originally thought it was my vanos seals, so I did the beisen refresh. Bought a new solenoid coil pack. Unfortunately, I just found this thread. hopefully this'll do the trick.
Jump to top kürzcoupé46 is offline   Reply With Quote