BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sun, Jun-13-2010, 12:07:11 AM   #1
maca

In the garage:

United States

Default who is running a stock e90/92 m3 at the track?

i am considering ordering an e90 m3 to replace my e46 (with lots of track mods), the idea being that it will be a solid daily driver, and a competent track car with a set of wheels and pads. otherwise i would keep it stock.

the build would be:
6mt
comp package (feedback on edc appreciated)
cloth seats
bluetooth
no sunroof (head room)
no idrive/nav (not a fan of the second dashboard hump)

i average 10 track days a year. i am not great, but i don't suck either.

i am looking for specific feedback from drivers who have a good number of track days under their belt, and have run an e90/92 platform on the track after an e46 or another competent platform. does it work well out of the box, or is it another money pit whereas you end up longing for adjustable dampers, better brakes, etc?

alternatively, i am going to keep dumping more $$$ into my e46
thx in advance.

> *SOLD* 2006 M3 | interlagos blue
ZCP; CCW C14; AST 5200; TC KLEIN lower control arms; HYPERCO springs; GC rtabs + fcabs; TMS sway bars + links; MASON ENGINEERING front + rear braces + 6mt clutch pedal; AUTOSOLUTIONS ssk; PFC pads; CASTROL SRF brake fluid; BMW GROUP N engine mounts; BIMMERWORLD tranny mounts; etc.

Last edited by maca; Sun, Jun-13-2010 at 09:04:02 PM.
Jump to top maca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-13-2010, 12:17:56 AM   #2
DOCTOR 3VIL

Armenia

...........sorry I thought you were talking about the wheels....never mind

Last edited by DOCTOR 3VIL; Mon, Jun-14-2010 at 06:22:17 AM.
Jump to top DOCTOR 3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-13-2010, 12:42:49 AM   #3
maca

In the garage:

United States

i am running ccw c14's at the track

ZCP; CCW C14; AST 5200; TC KLEIN lower control arms; HYPERCO springs; GC rtabs + fcabs; TMS sway bars + links; MASON ENGINEERING front + rear braces + 6mt clutch pedal; AUTOSOLUTIONS ssk; PFC pads; CASTROL SRF brake fluid; BMW GROUP N engine mounts; BIMMERWORLD tranny mounts; etc.
Old Sun, Jun-13-2010, 07:16:24 PM   #4
MJMM3

United States

I have done 3 track days in my e92, DCT, standard suspension, tires etc. When I told my dealer what I was up to they added upgraded brake fluid (higher boiling point). I have 23K miles on it and the brake pads are about 1/2 gone and the rotors are like new.

I have had zero problems with it at the track or on the street. My last outing was Mid Ohio and I had some concerns with possible brake fade, but they were rock solid. I found the stability management to be excessively intrusive on 2 corners but never had the guts to turn it off.

As far as the street goes, it is a pussycat-quiet, comfortable, a bit firm. The car's capacity is so high that there really is no place to safely explore its limits on the street.

Other than cars that arrive on trailers, so far, no ones been faster at the track. I have limited "skill" so the car gets the credit.

Mike
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-13-2010, 08:45:43 PM   #5
maca

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
I have done 3 track days in my e92, DCT, standard suspension, tires etc. When I told my dealer what I was up to they added upgraded brake fluid (higher boiling point). I have 23K miles on it and the brake pads are about 1/2 gone and the rotors are like new.

I have had zero problems with it at the track or on the street. My last outing was Mid Ohio and I had some concerns with possible brake fade, but they were rock solid. I found the stability management to be excessively intrusive on 2 corners but never had the guts to turn it off.

As far as the street goes, it is a pussycat-quiet, comfortable, a bit firm. The car's capacity is so high that there really is no place to safely explore its limits on the street.

Other than cars that arrive on trailers, so far, no ones been faster at the track. I have limited "skill" so the car gets the credit.

Mike
standard suspension meaning no edc?

are you on street tires? if yes, track tires change suspension and brake behavior considerably, so while a car may feel adequate on street tires, once you go to rcomps, it will be a whole other animal, especially as far as brakes are concerned.

Old Mon, Jun-14-2010, 12:24:07 AM   #6
jrf m3
Goggles Pythono

Canada

my friend had nothing but problems with the brakes and he did try ferodos and then pagids with cooling ducts placed by a race shop in seattle

he has only run the ps2s

he has now bought a bbk (alcon)

the car is very fast (but heavy) and just like the e46 it needs substantial brake upgrades if you have any aspirations of fastest guy at hpde etc. haha

Raven Performance Bar, Sparcos, Schroths, 4.1 Diff, JB LTW flywheel/clutch, Bimmerworld Motor Mounts, Agency Power Headers, Random Tech High Flow Cats, Borla muffler, Streamline panel filter, Bimmerworld Intake Elbow, DA Street Underdrive Pulleys, DA Race Software, ST40s w 355mm slotted x4, BBS CH 19s, TR Motorsport MT1s 18s, OEM 18s (winter), Ground Control School 600/650, TMS sways, TMS Delrin FCABs/RTABs, TCK rear camber arms, 'Nixons' subframe reinforcement, UUC Evo III SSK, Mini Cooper S battery, RE Tranny Mounts, Dave Z's CDV, Traqmate
Jump to top jrf m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-14-2010, 12:48:45 AM   #7
UTM3

United States

The stock brakes are completely inadequate for track use if you are experienced and trying to actually turn fast times. I had the stock pads that were in near new condition in crumbles in 3 hard sessions at VIR and the rotors warped by the end of the day.

That said, if you just want to run it at 7-8 tenths and intentionally take it easy on the brakes you should be fine. Otherwise it was an amazing track car, BBK and you're set.

BTW this was an E92 M3 DCT on Yoko AD08's with ATE fluid.

EDC works great, running it on the sportiest setting felt very planted with stock suspension and the ride is great on the soft setting.

Last edited by UTM3; Mon, Jun-14-2010 at 12:53:09 AM.
Jump to top UTM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-14-2010, 04:20:22 AM   #8
ShakeNbake
Texas 2 step

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca View Post
i am considering ordering an e90 m3 to replace my e46 (with lots of track mods), the idea being that it will be a solid daily driver, and a competent track car with a set of wheels and pads. otherwise i would keep it stock.

the build would be:
6mt
comp package (feedback on edc appreciated)
cloth seats
bluetooth
no sunroof (head room)
no idrive/nav (not a fan of the second dashboard hump)

i average 10 track days a year. i am not great, but i don't suck either.

i am looking for specific feedback from drivers who have a good number of track days under their belt, and have run an e90/92 platform on the track after an e46 or another competent platform. does it work well out of the box, or is it another money pit whereas you end up longing for adjustable dampers, better brakes, etc?

alternatively, i am going to keep dumping more $$$ into my e46
thx in advance.
I have about 30 track days on my DCT E90, and overall 6 years of track rat-dom with a little racing mixed in. Pretty happy with it, it's about 2-3 seconds off the pace of my old gutted and pimped out E46 (motons, BBK, headers, software, hoosiers, exhaust, intake, etc..) at TWS, all while carrying a baby seat in the back. It's definitely a softer more livable car. The E46 was basically a race car without a cage and completely uncomfortable as a daily driver. You will need to throw 15-20K at the E46 to out pace a stock E90 with the same tires on it, and then sh1t will start to break once you get fast enough. I think I changed everything but the motor - no joke. Perhaps the same thing will happen on my E90 too, but so far it's holding together (though the dear diff may give up soon).

If you want to keep it in stock form to avoid BS from the dealer, then the comp package is the way to go. The E90 chassis has very little understeer and virtually zero camber issue out of the box; all you'll need are nice light wheels, rcomps, PFC01s, and SRF. I have not tried the comp package yet, but it should be a big upgrade over the standard EDC. The sport mode on the standard EDC is not reactive, it locks at 75% to make the car feel sporty on the street. At the track, the "normal" mode works best, because it's fully reactive - keeps the car flat in the corners, lets the car dive a little more while braking, helps keeps the rear stable while transitioning onto power - the problem is that it can float a little, and it takes a moment to figure out you are actually trying to turn while going 100mph. The comp package EDC is refined and supposedly has a new fully reactive sport mode that assumes you are on the track.

As to the brakes, I think they are fine with track pads and fluid in a typical 20-30min HPDE scenario with an advanced student at the wheel. Could it benefit from a BBK? Yes, a BBK is designed to shed heat at a higher rate and to also more gracefully operate while at very high temps. I would not go to a open track day and expect to drive a stock weight car for hours on end without destroying the stock brake system.

For me the E46 was a money pit and a nightmare at the dealer, and something you better have deep pockets for if it's out of warranty. So far the E90 has only cost me tires, pads, studs, and a front clip clear bra (old E46 track wheels fit with 12mm spacers). I expect my optimism will change in 50K more miles, but I plan to hold firm and not mod it.

09 E90 M3 DCT | Turner Studs | RedNeck cutouts | Britax Seat | Diaper survival kit | Bassified

Last edited by ShakeNbake; Mon, Jun-14-2010 at 04:24:28 AM.
Jump to top ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-14-2010, 01:29:22 PM   #9
MJMM3

United States

No edc on my car. I wasn't babying it around the track. I have over 50 track days total, tho just 3 in this car, so I have no problem getting on it.

At Mid-O I was topping out at 135 mph on the straight and braking to maybe 55-65 mph for the esses- just an estimate tho, I was too busy driving to look.

Tire wear is significant, the brakes less so.

I wanted a car that I didn't have to "improve", or carry track tires to events, etc. Been there. I am not worried about being fastest, I am happy just to catch the guy ahead of me.

My dealer has said it will replace brake pads/fluid/rotors during the warranty period even if I do track days:"That's what it was designed to do".
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-14-2010, 03:46:46 PM   #10
maca

In the garage:

United States

thanks for the feedback...very helpful. exactly what i was looking for.