BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Apr-01-2010, 07:43:49 PM   #1
MJMM3

United States

Default Brake pad/fluid recomendations for e92?

Based on comments on another thread I am toying with a modest upgrade to deal with possible brake fade for my upcoming track day at Mid-Ohio. My car is primarily used for commuting and an aggressive, noisy pad that generates lots of paint destroying dust is not on my wish list.

I had Porterfield racing pads on my Miata and they screeched and moaned every time I touched the brake and the dust destroyed the paint. So are there any track friendly pads that will do the job but are less harsh?

And I assume that going to any pad other than stock voids the 4 year warranty on the discs, no? The dealer has assured me that they will replace the brakes, no matter how many times I trash them at the track, if kept stock. (I admit to be skeptical here but who knows?)

I have used Motul 600 brake fluid in my Evo with success. Any reason not to on the M3. What effect, if any, on the warranty there?

Mike
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-01-2010, 08:05:30 PM   #2
jrf m3
Goggles Pythono

Canada

my buddy destroyed pagid yellows and ferodo 2500s with his e90 sedan at Pacific Raceways (main straight 220 kph)

not sure that pads alone are the answer on this car but hopefully jacy will contribute as he tracks his e90

Raven Performance Bar, Sparcos, Schroths, 4.1 Diff, JB LTW flywheel/clutch, Bimmerworld Motor Mounts, Agency Power Headers, Random Tech High Flow Cats, Borla muffler, Streamline panel filter, Bimmerworld Intake Elbow, DA Street Underdrive Pulleys, DA Race Software, ST40s w 355mm slotted x4, BBS CH 19s, TR Motorsport MT1s 18s, OEM 18s (winter), Ground Control School 600/650, TMS sways, TMS Delrin FCABs/RTABs, TCK rear camber arms, 'Nixons' subframe reinforcement, UUC Evo III SSK, Mini Cooper S battery, RE Tranny Mounts, Dave Z's CDV, Traqmate
Jump to top jrf m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-01-2010, 10:47:32 PM   #3
Mvez
RS-aholic

United States

Porterfield R4's are actually a very rotor and wheel finish friendly track pad.

I'm using them up front, and Pagid Yellows in the rear with good results.
'12 Cayenne
'09 Ford F350 DRW - tow rig
Jump to top Mvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-01-2010, 11:40:27 PM   #4
elh0102

United States

I don't think you can avoid noise and dust with a good track pad, although the properties of the dust can vary a lot. I've had good luck with the Pagid 29s on the GT3. Weight plus speed = lots of heat, so you may need to alter your driving style a bit to accommodate the braking capacity. But the good news, the prize money is the same regardless of lap time, so don't make yourself crazy trying to get every last foot of brake zone under full throttle. It's a very competent car and should be a lot of fun!
Jump to top elh0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-07-2010, 03:57:50 PM   #5
cmargosi

United States

Default Brake Upgrade for Track

I had decent success with my E93 last year and the following upgrades:

Ferodo DS2500 pads
Stoptech SS Lines
Motul RBF 600 Fluid

I still had mild deposits after one very hot day at Blackhawk Farms, but generally this setup works fine for street and track.

I do have some noise now from the front pads, but it will be time to change them out soon. I will be going back to stock as I have moved to a dedicated track car.

The stock pads are in no way sufficient, EVERYONE I know that took their car out with stock pads (including me) deposited rotors beyond the point of repair.

2009 Carrera S Cabriolet

1999 E36 (Track) GTS 4 / CM

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8 Silver, B Woody 4" Intake, Jet Thermostat, NGK Spark Plugs, Thermalator HEMI spacers, Magnaflow Exhuast, Diablosport Mini Tuned
Jump to top cmargosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-08-2010, 10:41:06 PM   #6
ModBargains II
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
Based on comments on another thread I am toying with a modest upgrade to deal with possible brake fade for my upcoming track day at Mid-Ohio. My car is primarily used for commuting and an aggressive, noisy pad that generates lots of paint destroying dust is not on my wish list.

I had Porterfield racing pads on my Miata and they screeched and moaned every time I touched the brake and the dust destroyed the paint. So are there any track friendly pads that will do the job but are less harsh?

And I assume that going to any pad other than stock voids the 4 year warranty on the discs, no? The dealer has assured me that they will replace the brakes, no matter how many times I trash them at the track, if kept stock. (I admit to be skeptical here but who knows?)

I have used Motul 600 brake fluid in my Evo with success. Any reason not to on the M3. What effect, if any, on the warranty there?

Mike

Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid should be fine for your M3. I have used it on my personal E46 M3 with great success. Just remember that the higher-end brake fluids like Motul, ATE, Castrol SRF, and etc are all hydroscopic. They WANT to absorp moisture every chance it gets. Fluid put in today and that same fluid three months down the line will be different. The dry boiling point will be significantly reduced from this phenomenon. Hence, the real important number when looking at brake fluid specs is the wet boiling point figure!

But no warranty issue - so go for it!

As for the pads, I've used Carbotech pads with great success as well (in a BMW and in a SCCA CSP Miata). Non-corrosive dust, but it'll squeal like hell for street use. But I've found them to be great on the track with an insane amount of modulation feedback - great for those trail braking situations.

We Specialize In: BMW M3 Parts | BMW E36 M3 Parts | BMW E46 M3 Parts | BMW E90 M3 Parts/BMW E92 M3 Parts | BMW Angel Eyes | BMW Lighting
Sales | Jason@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330 ext. 8005
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Jump to top ModBargains II is offline   Reply With Quote