BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, May-01-2009, 02:51:58 AM   #61
GTFrank
Track Jack

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber View Post
As Dan said, I think they will all be canceled. They are that far behind. I haven't been up to help out since 4/18 but they still had plenty of items still to do:

(1) Top coat
(2) Drainage problems in two-three places on track
(3) Guard rails
(4) Pit wall
(5) Bolting tires and positioning them around track
(6) Paddock/pit area
(7) Entrance road -- steep grade and gravel/dirt. Took a long time to get my M3 up it. Forget about it when it rains because it will turn into a mud pit. Won't be paved until all the other construction is done and they get the construction equipment out.

Problems I foresee:

(1) They won't be able to put down the top coat until they get the drainage problems figured out and they are waiting for approval from the Corp of Engineers. I do not believe they installed any drainage systems beneath the track but I could be wrong (I hope I am) so even if they get the land fixed around the problematic areas they will still be left with massive water on the track whenever it rains instead of water + mud which they currently have. They'll need to figure out what to do with the *water* at that point.

(2) Tire wall building in currently done a volunteer basis. They are working some weeknights (5 - dark) and 9 - 4 on Saturday/Sundays, but the truth in the matter is that this is *volunteer* work and there is no guarantee to how many people will be able to work on any given day. In other words, some days are much more productive than others. If they want to get this stuff rolling they need to pay guys to go work on weekdays (read: when everyone else is working).

(3) The track map on their website also shows an extra chicane at the end of the front straight that is currently not there. I have no idea if they intend to add that this season or not. This was obviously added to slow the cars at the end of the high speed straight which, um, heads straight for I-71 (and it's not that far away).

(4) No place to park a truck/trailer. The construction equipment sits untouched where they are proposing to build the paddock. They are going to need to fill the area with more than just dirt -- they'll need to get huge boulders, etc. to fill the VAST open space. Not only that, but they'll have to find a place to *get* the dirt. Aerial photos simply do not show how large of a valley this area really is.

I know that several groups have dropped out because they have said that there wasn't going to be a pit wall up for at least the first couple of events. Maybe this has changed since I heard that. I hate to say it but right now it is a pipe dream to have this track operational in the next couple of months. It ultimately boils down (IMO) to a lack of funds for the project. If they had the funds they would be up there working around the clock to get it open for everyone. Get the money making part of the facility done and then start worrying about everything else. Why else would they be paying volunteers in Bluegrass Bucks to exchange for free track time? Not saying this is a bad idea to get track nuts out there to help but it should hint at some clues.

Anyways, that's my rant. I've driven the car in my M3 and it does look like a promising facility but I have tried to not get too excited.

Will
Thanks Will,I was afraid of that, when our club first appoached the track looking for a date for A DE we were one of the first and had options of april through the year, we decided to take the October 16-18 date because we were fearful this could happen, kind of like what happened at Putnam, the track opened but it needed lots of work. So as you say even when it opens stuff will need to be worked out. I was hoping to get a few track days in down there so i hope it happens soon.
1999 Spec Miata #35
997 GT3 lost at sea
996 TT sold
Boxter sold
Jump to top GTFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-09-2009, 05:48:46 AM   #62
mmmpowr

United States

Looks like Bluegrass won't be ready in June either Got this message from Bluegrass BMWCCA today.

"We were informed by Bluegrass Motorsports Park yesterday that they are cancelling all June events and attempting to reschedule at a later date."

Hopefully the Buckeye BMWCCA scheduled event in July doesn't get cancelled too.

David

2001 ///M3

OEM: 6-Speed | Titanium Silver Metallic | Imola Nappa Leather | Power Seat Package | Cold Weather Package | Width adj. front seat with lumbar | Xenon | Moonroof | In-dash CD | HK | BMW alarm | Univeral transceiver

Mods: OEM Strut brace | OEM 19" wheels (street) | RAC RS110 9.5"(f)/10"(r) wheels (track) | Brembo 355(f)/345(r) BBK | Motul RBF600brake fluid | ACS rear shock tower brace | D/A Race software | SS Stepped Headers/S-pipe/X-pipe w/resonator/Race muffler | RE pullies | aFe CAI stg1 | Bimmerworld intake elbow | Bimmerworld CF brake ducts | BMW Motorsport thermostat | TCK D/A coilovers w/#600(f)/#700(r) | GC camber/castor Race plate | Powerflex FCAB | GC front sway bar links | h-Sport sway bars | RE Tranny mounts | TCK RTAB | GC RLCA| TCK shock mounts | V-CSL CF trunk | V-CSL CF diffuser | McMahan 4pt rollbar | TMS oil cooler | RE Octane SSK
Jump to top mmmpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-09-2009, 01:34:23 PM   #63
Feffman
Grand Poobah

United States

This could very well up end Bluegrass. If they can't get any rentals for 2009, they have little or no revenue. I hate to see that happen because we (www.MVPTrackTime.com) really want to get there for an annual track event.

Feff
Old Sat, May-09-2009, 05:19:58 PM   #64
Mvez
RS-aholic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
This could very well up end Bluegrass. If they can't get any rentals for 2009, they have little or no revenue. I hate to see that happen because we (www.MVPTrackTime.com) really want to get there for an annual track event.

Feff
If that does end up being the case, don't worry, somebody will scoop it up and open it. It's too close to being completed and generating revenue for another party to not be interested.

I know a group in Louisville that actually may be waiting for this opportunity.....
'12 Cayenne
'09 Ford F350 DRW - tow rig
Jump to top Mvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-10-2009, 02:12:57 AM   #65
GTFrank
Track Jack

United States

I understand the NASA canceled its June event. I wonder if it will open.
1999 Spec Miata #35
997 GT3 lost at sea
996 TT sold
Boxter sold
Old Sun, May-10-2009, 05:58:51 PM   #66
MJMM3

United States

And what happens to the folks who shelled out mega bucks for memberships if it goes thru bankruptcy and is bought at a fire-sale price and then finished?
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-13-2009, 07:53:52 PM   #67
TitSprinksMcGee

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpowr View Post
Looks like Bluegrass won't be ready in June either Got this message from Bluegrass BMWCCA today.

"We were informed by Bluegrass Motorsports Park yesterday that they are cancelling all June events and attempting to reschedule at a later date."

Hopefully the Buckeye BMWCCA scheduled event in July doesn't get cancelled too.
So the June 26th-28th event is out? I wonder why I never got a message as I'm in this chapter as well
any word if they are rescheduling the event, or moving the venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
And what happens to the folks who shelled out mega bucks for memberships if it goes thru bankruptcy and is bought at a fire-sale price and then finished?
That would depend entirely on how they structure a bankruptcy or sale (in the event either happens).
If it's sold, they'll most likely be ok. When you buy a company, you assume the liabilities along with the assets so...yeah. In the event of a bankruptcy and then a sale, it gets more interesting.

I'd say their odds are about the same as GMAC bondholders lol. If you're one of them, keep your fingers crossed and knock on some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALaw View Post
OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Coming soon to a post near you.

Last edited by TitSprinksMcGee; Wed, May-13-2009 at 08:04:19 PM.
Jump to top TitSprinksMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-13-2009, 08:59:05 PM   #68
mmmpowr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmillerm3 View Post
So the June 26th-28th event is out? I wonder why I never got a message as I'm in this chapter as well
any word if they are rescheduling the event, or moving the venue?
You would have got the message from Kurt Resenner thru Motorsportreg if you had signed up already for it. No word yet on the rescheduling.

David

2001 ///M3

OEM: 6-Speed | Titanium Silver Metallic | Imola Nappa Leather | Power Seat Package | Cold Weather Package | Width adj. front seat with lumbar | Xenon | Moonroof | In-dash CD | HK | BMW alarm | Univeral transceiver

Mods: OEM Strut brace | OEM 19" wheels (street) | RAC RS110 9.5"(f)/10"(r) wheels (track) | Brembo 355(f)/345(r) BBK | Motul RBF600brake fluid | ACS rear shock tower brace | D/A Race software | SS Stepped Headers/S-pipe/X-pipe w/resonator/Race muffler | RE pullies | aFe CAI stg1 | Bimmerworld intake elbow | Bimmerworld CF brake ducts | BMW Motorsport thermostat | TCK D/A coilovers w/#600(f)/#700(r) | GC camber/castor Race plate | Powerflex FCAB | GC front sway bar links | h-Sport sway bars | RE Tranny mounts | TCK RTAB | GC RLCA| TCK shock mounts | V-CSL CF trunk | V-CSL CF diffuser | McMahan 4pt rollbar | TMS oil cooler | RE Octane SSK
Jump to top mmmpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-13-2009, 09:25:08 PM   #69
TitSprinksMcGee

In the garage:

United States

Yeah, that's probably why. I hadn't officially registered for it yet. I'll just call Kurt and find out the latest news. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALaw View Post
OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Coming soon to a post near you.
Jump to top TitSprinksMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-14-2009, 01:26:11 AM   #70
GTFrank
Track Jack

United States

This is putting clubs in a bit of a spot. My buddies at CIRPCA put a bunch of money and time into organization of the April date they had since it was one of the first no real indication that things were not coming together. So they held out, had all kinds of shirts printed money spent. Its painful. Now that we see month after month going away, you have to wonder if that will not hurt registration if it does open at least till the word gets out.
Our event is 10/16 We should start working on the event the end of July, I hope we get some good news by then.
1999 Spec Miata #35
997 GT3 lost at sea
996 TT sold
Boxter sold