BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Closed Thread

Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 02:23:22 PM   #31
jickel180
Fair Enough

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: PSA: know what you're getting into before buying a CSL style intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
Weird, mine is loud AF

You running the snorkel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, OEM Snorkel with the flap removed.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 02:23:48 PM   #32
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
For the Turner?

Otherwise it should be roughly accurate. I did need to order some extra wiring bits and fuel pump relay, but other bits on the list ended up being unnecessary. I also had zero tolerance for Chinese replicas of the Bosch/other wiring parts, so that probably added cost. Also, some of these items have gone up or are NLA.

I had a couple, disregard. The Turner is less than that, no snorkel, etc with that design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 02:48:56 PM   #33
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
The CSL software is very sensitive to airflow. I had the CPI stepped headers and they were fine on my car before the CSL intake. After I installed the intake, I was constantly chasing a 3k rpm hesitation...tried everything with the VANOS (which showed excess leak, but good response), replaced it twice...as well as accumulator, pressure relief valve, solenoid, solenoid valve body (3 of those)...EVERYTHING. One day I ditch the CPI headers and go to the SSV1 and the hesitation completely resolved.

I have heard others say the same thing about fuel injectors, coils and the VANOS, everything has to be tip top, or it starts to act funny. You sort of need to be ahead of the maintenance curve to keep it running perfectly.

Or you can be like my buddy.... Have a full MAP sensor ready to go...but throw the CSL intake on the car, discover it runs pretty good on the AlphaN CSL software tune, and then never install the MAP sensor (which makes a major difference IMO). Everyone has their own sensitivity to what they will put up with and what they wont.
You're pretty much seeing the differences between MAF based operation, Alpha-N, and speed density
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 03:35:58 PM   #34
KS Golfer

United States

I've had the evolve for a year sitting in a box because as previously mentioned....it's not super straightforward, and the airbox itself is going to be about half of the total cost in my case. I'm perfectly capable of doing the install, but I just don't have the time anymore so I'm paying to have the install done along with some other things I need done at the same time.

I do have the HP DME, converting to MAP, and getting a basic tune at the same time. I think the airbox was $2k on sale, there's $1k worth of additional parts by the time you do all the conversions, tunes, and buy all new OE hoses and clamps and other misc bits. Add on roughly 6 hours of shop time and you've doubled the price of the airbox itself.

I've bought about 7 cars over my life that cost less than this airbox install. I don't anticipate regretting it one bit. Unfortunately it's snowing so when I get the car back next week it may just sit around for a while.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 05:49:36 PM   #35
Race M3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

In the garage:

United States

just use the money towards a blower for the same price and actually have a fast car that runs properly.

/thread.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 05:53:32 PM   #36
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race M3 View Post
just use the money towards a blower for the same price and actually have a fast car that runs properly.

/thread.
Faster... sure. Runs properly is a stretch.

I'd rather just get an M2C at that point.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 06:07:13 PM   #37
Race M3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Faster... sure. Runs properly is a stretch.

I'd rather just get an M2C at that point.
let me correct my statement.

if you have no idea what you are doing and how to wrench on your own car/modify parts to make it work and run right and have to pay others to do it for you. cost is roughly the same maybe a bit less than a base sc kit that will yield much higher gains.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 06:11:46 PM   #38
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
let me correct my statement.

if you have no idea what you are doing and how to wrench on your own car/modify parts to make it work and run right and have to pay others to do it for you. cost is roughly the same maybe a bit less than a base sc kit that will yield much higher gains.
If you have no idea what you're doing and how to wrench your own car, this car is borderline unownable in the first place.

What supercharger kit can you get for this car for $3k (roughly cost of the turner airbox + accessories + labor)? Cheapest I'm seeing is around $6k, and you still have to pay to get those installed too.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 06:29:27 PM   #39
KS Golfer

United States

Quote:

/thread.
this is just complete bull feathers.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 09:34:22 PM   #40
NZ_M3

It’s honestly perplexing why so many have issues doing this conversion, I have done 99.9% of all the CSL airbox conversions here in New Zealand for people (either free of charge or at most cost of chipsets) - dme side - and none of the car have ever reported hesitation issues, drivability issues or any issues in fact. The only time I have ever been able to mimic the hesitations that I read on forums is via Alpha N tunes.

Also it’s not rocket science to do the conversion either, I can pull and install an airbox in and out in 30 minutes (if you have the right clamp tools and the car isn’t hot lol) the wiring side depends on how neat and tidy you want it to look but even that isn’t rocket science.

The knowledge base for the conversions have gotten to a stage now that it is almost DIY if you have been working on cars for a while.

It’s simply a matter of finding the correct source of information and following some previously written instructions.
Closed Thread