BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:24:09 AM   #11
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: likely blown head gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas16 View Post
lol that got me. real gutted if it is a rod. Sad part is I have a blackstone oil kit and a fresh set of oil since i was going to check on this soon. Was only waiting on some parts from ecs tuning to realign front bumper cover at the same time which arrive Monday. Life can be cruel sometimes
Better than finding a rod sticking out of the block!
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 01:20:06 AM   #12
haas16

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Better than finding a rod sticking out of the block!
haha true.

though I'm afraid it will be functionally a similar outcome. If its this loud crank probably has damage. maybe the block too?

Gotta figure out what my likely options are.
Jump to top haas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 01:26:38 AM   #13
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
haha true.

though I'm afraid it will be functionally a similar outcome. If its this loud crank probably has damage. maybe the block too?

That's the thing - you might have crank damage, but there's no way it damaged the block
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 01:36:57 AM   #14
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
haha true.

I just went through this myself man, swapped a new motor in. No easy way out I'm afraid and I feel your pain. I hope the crank is not cooked but I would count on it depending how long you drove with the knock.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 02:03:47 AM   #15
haas16

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
That's the thing - you might have crank damage, but there's no way it damaged the block
Ah ok, that's a silver lining at least. And part of me was prepared to changethe head gasket myself so maybe this will be easier . Gotta look around for machine shops in the Norfolk area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
I just went through this myself man, swapped a new motor in. No easy way out I'm afraid and I feel your pain. I hope the crank is not cooked but I would count on it depending how long you drove with the knock.
Yea drove less than a mile with this noise. Though this feels like the progression of an earlier noise which I had for a while. happy that your car lived on with a swapped engine. What led you to go with the swap vs opening it up and machining the crank?
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 02:29:47 AM   #16
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Ah ok, that's a silver lining at least. And part of me was prepared to changethe head gasket myself so maybe this will be easier . Gotta look around for machine shops in the Norfolk area.

Yea drove less than a mile with this noise. Though this feels like the progression of an earlier noise which I had for a while. happy that your car lived on with a swapped engine. What led you to go with the swap vs opening it up and machining the crank?
Quicker. A crank job would be a full tear down i didnt have time or desire for, hot tanking the head and block, crank polish and reassemble at a minimum. If I'm ever that deep in an engine it would Also be very unfortunate to not do a proper build at the same time so more cost and time. Now I have a spare engine I can build with no pressure and swap into something else or plain sell when its done.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 04:53:59 AM   #17
haas16

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Quicker. A crank job would be a full tear down i didnt have time or desire for, hot tanking the head and block, crank polish and reassemble at a minimum. If I'm ever that deep in an engine it would Also be very unfortunate to not do a proper build at the same time so more cost and time. Now I have a spare engine I can build with no pressure and swap into something else or plain sell when its done.

Makes sense. Just to clarify the full rebuild would be a good thing to do but not required right? It would be possible to drop the pan, pull out the cam to get refinished/replaced and then close it all up again?
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 05:10:13 AM   #18
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Makes sense. Just to clarify the full rebuild would be a good thing to do but not required right? It would be possible to drop the pan, pull out the cam to get refinished/replaced and then close it all up again?
Head has to come off. Reason being is the timing cover comes off and the headgasket extends under the cover. When I looked it over it appears you could attempt it without replacing the head gasket, but you are asking to do the job twice.
Add the possibility that without hot tanking you risk metal floating around in there and destroying your new bearings and well, it just wasnt worth it to half ass it (nothing ever is).
The other thing to consider is, does the crank need to be ground or polished depending on the damage. In my case a polish would be sufficient, I would never consider grinding this crank on this engine.
So, alot to think about. I hope it is not your only car. If it is for sure metal in the filter, open the bottom end and check the damage.
Shameful plug here but when mine was knocking I swore it wasnt rod knock since it idled silently and the knock was very faint at a specific rpm, so i drove it for a week and even hit redline in a moment of weakness. My damage to the crank was VERY minor even though the bearing was destroyed, I bet it would have looked perfect if I just stopped driving it within a day. IMO it says alot about how well the oil protected things in these conditions, I was on twin power turbo (shell) 10w60.
So pop it open and cross your fingers.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 05:12:32 AM   #19
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

And if you have any questions during the swap, if it comes to that, let me know. Its a pain but rather straight forward.

Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 05:49:20 AM   #20
haas16

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Head has to come off. Reason being is the timing cover comes off and the headgasket extends under the cover. When I looked it over it appears you could attempt it without replacing the head gasket, but you are asking to do the job twice.
Add the possibility that without hot tanking you risk metal floating around in there and destroying your new bearings and well, it just wasnt worth it to half ass it (nothing ever is).
So pop it open and cross your fingers.

Ah ok you were right, no easy way out of this. Not my only ride at the moment but will be in a couple months. Just a shock to the system; my only work on my car was supposed to be upgrading from the business cd to an android unit but now I have to find, ship, and install a new engine. Not to mention store/rebuild/part out the current engine.

Part of me wishes I could just sell as is and start over with something else but that feels like a big financial L and have had this car for so long.

Quote:
And if you have any questions during the swap, if it comes to that, let me know. Its a pain but rather straight forward.

Thanks man. Looking around for an engine now so hopefully something works out. Going to tow the car to a shop and get some experienced eyes on it before I really pull the trigger on anything. Though I feel like ill just be paying them to tell me what I've been told by you and others on this thread.