BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-04-2020, 02:40:52 AM   #1
RT-66

United States

Default Koni Yellows vs Ground Control

I'm looking for anyone with direct experience with Koni Yellows vs custom valved Ground Control Konis.

This is not for my M3 which has Ohlins R/T's. I'm building a track day car and the ONLY options for that platform are Konis, GC, Vikings and JRI

I'm not wild about the Vikings because they aren't monotube. JRI's are completely beyond the budget for the car.

The reason I'm asking in this forum is that the both Koni Yellow and GC are used on the E46 M3 platform. I have been on M3 Koni Yellows and I wasn't impressed with the performance at high shock velocities. I'm hoping for a direct comparison between the two with the assumption it will be a good analog.

Thanks!

Last edited by RT-66; Sat, Jan-04-2020 at 02:50:09 AM.
Jump to top RT-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-04-2020, 03:06:54 AM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Koni Yellows vs Ground Control

Why are those the only options? JRZ, AST, MCS, etc. are far more frequent for the (hardcore/ $$$) e46 track cars I've seen.

Ground Control uses Koni dampers. They may be "custom valved" but at the end of the day they're Koni's.

The reason you would go with a GC (or TCK - very similar) kit are the camber plates, standard (i.e. customizable down the road) springs, and height adjustability that you can't get from standard shocks.. so it's kinda odd that you're comparing Koni dampers against a full suspension kit.

[Edit] I've had a GC kit on my car for years now and it's been great - I'm just trying to understand what you're going for here[/edit]

Last edited by Drewster; Sat, Jan-04-2020 at 03:21:28 AM.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-04-2020, 04:45:44 AM   #3
RedM3/4

United States

You're losing me on "a track day car" and what you say is allowable.
I can't speak to the "entry" Koni setups including GC valved, please ensure if the solution lowers the car the dampers are built (lowered) as well. I know TCK does this.
I get money, but if you've Ohlins on your M3, ... most of what you cite will be disappointing i'd imagine. My own experience is Dinan springs with koni single adjustable (all used). I got used to the konis in rear but they seemed skaty at first and adjusting then is so much a PITA (I left them a couple clicks off soft) I'd never own them again. Now I have MCS 2 way with remotes (what a PITA getting the cannisters inside the trunk and engine bay but GREAT adjustability) as I truly wanted a street vesus track setup and after a lot of reading and dinking about I'm really happy with them.
But my gut on what you're after and price point would be billys and springs.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-05-2020, 03:23:58 AM   #4
RT-66

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Why are those the only options? JRZ, AST, MCS, etc. are far more frequent for the (hardcore/ $$$) e46 track cars I've seen.

Ground Control uses Koni dampers. They may be "custom valved" but at the end of the day they're Koni's.

The reason you would go with a GC (or TCK - very similar) kit are the camber plates, standard (i.e. customizable down the road) springs, and height adjustability that you can't get from standard shocks.. so it's kinda odd that you're comparing Koni dampers against a full suspension kit.

[Edit] I've had a GC kit on my car for years now and it's been great - I'm just trying to understand what you're going for here[/edit]

The car in question is not an E46 M3. My M3 has Ohlins. I'm asking about a direct comparison between Koni Yellows and GC which are, as you conrrectly stated, re-valved Konis.

Let me ask this a different way: Has anyone experienced both Koni Yellows AND Ground Control and if so, would you say there is an improvement?

Note: This is not a question specific to the M3, I'm asking in this forum because it a likely location to find people who have experience with both brands.
Old Sun, Jan-05-2020, 03:32:31 AM   #5
RT-66

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
You're losing me on "a track day car" and what you say is allowable.
I can't speak to the "entry" Koni setups including GC valved, please ensure if the solution lowers the car the dampers are built (lowered) as well. I know TCK does this.
I get money, but if you've Ohlins on your M3, ... most of what you cite will be disappointing i'd imagine. My own experience is Dinan springs with koni single adjustable (all used). I got used to the konis in rear but they seemed skaty at first and adjusting then is so much a PITA (I left them a couple clicks off soft) I'd never own them again. Now I have MCS 2 way with remotes (what a PITA getting the cannisters inside the trunk and engine bay but GREAT adjustability) as I truly wanted a street vesus track setup and after a lot of reading and dinking about I'm really happy with them.
But my gut on what you're after and price point would be billys and springs.

ADS
This is not an issue of what is allowed, its an issue of the ONLY shock brands manufactured for the platform.

I completely agree with your assessment of the Koni Yellows, I hated them. The question I have is: Does the Ground Control re-valve improve the performance?

Billys are not adjustable, so that's not the best option for my setup because I'm using VERY VERY not stock spring rates.
Old Sun, Jan-05-2020, 04:19:59 AM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-66 View Post
The car in question is not an E46 M3. My M3 has Ohlins. I'm asking about a direct comparison between Koni Yellows and GC which are, as you conrrectly stated, re-valved Konis.

Let me ask this a different way: Has anyone experienced both Koni Yellows AND Ground Control and if so, would you say there is an improvement?

Note: This is not a question specific to the M3, I'm asking in this forum because it a likely location to find people who have experience with both brands.
Okaaaay, so what's the platform?

GC Konis are fine for what they are - they do what dampers should do, but adjustment isn't anything dramatic
Old Sun, Jan-05-2020, 04:25:38 AM   #7
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Anecdotally I've always read that TCK's revalved Konis are better than Ground Control's.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-05-2020, 04:36:14 AM   #8
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Anecdotally I've always read that TCK's revalved Konis are better than Ground Control's.
I've always read (and agree) that Konis are universally "meh" regardless of valving

I love my GC stuff - it's beefy, has never given me issues after years of tracking.. but the dampers are just kinda "there". Comparing a damper to a suspension kit is still odd to me..
Old Mon, Jan-06-2020, 12:25:25 AM   #9
Altaran

Germany

Koni yellows in retail sale aren't really set up for track usage (with harder spring rates than street cars have).

So a revalved Koni, be it TCK or GC, should do the job better. Just make sure you get their track kit.

Besides that, get an Öhlins R&T revalved at one of their service centers for a track setup with harder linear springs and you will have a much better performing strut.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk
Jump to top Altaran is offline   Reply With Quote