BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 04:26:20 PM   #591
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

Default Re: FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet (bounce freqs, FRC, roll stiffn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Very happy. The downers are compression adjustments are a pain and rebound is kind of a pain. I donít adjustment them often so not a huge deal.

The other wish is a rear coil over option. Thatís a 5lb weight reduction Iíd love to get.

You do have to deal with the rear spring falling out when jacking up the car. That is fixed by bolting a WD40 cap to the top perch.

Other than that, they still perform well and are 7 years, 30k miles old. Iím sure they could use a rebuild though. Iíve set some pretty good lap times in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to Hear good feedback about TCK DA's , I actually sold my TCK SA which I really liked and I'm about to put in an order for TCK DA's I was contemplating between Ohlins and Tck DA's I think almost every setup for theses cars has some sort of drawbacks but in the end it's comes down to what given individual is comfortable with and makes sense for them. Ohlins are nice mono tubes but need much more sourced parts to make them work correctly and need to be rebuilt more frequently. TCK DA are twin tubes are good to go out of the box if you have camber plates, but are not designed to run anything over 700lb/in in the back which is fine with me, they last long time as many member have proven over the 14+ years they have been around for this car. I think they offer good balance of performance, reliability, and value.

Per FCM spread sheet, I'm going with;
350 front 700 rear which gives 1.08 flat ride 1.97 front 2.13 rear
Currently running Hotchkiss front and CSL rear
Hotchkiss front sway at full stiff and rear CSL will put me at 70.5% FRC
if that does not work well I can try
Hotchiss Front at full soft and disconnect no rear which will give me 73.4%
or 3rd option would be
Hotchkiss at full stiff and stock rear bar will land me in the middle at 71.5%

Will report back with findings
Mod list: TTFS Custom Tune, Headers Sec 1 AR20, M-Track Mode programmed, IAT relocated, Upadted cam bolts with S62 pressure springs and diaphragm, sub-frame reinforced Vince bar & plates, 996 Brembo brakes PFC 08 pads, CDV delete, F10 M5 shift knob, CSL diffuser, D/A pulleys, AVANT-II, Dinan CAI, SDW RTAB, 350F/750R Flat ride Ohlins Custom GC Weight Jacks, GC Street Camber Plates, Hotchkiss sway NO rear bar, Beisan Oil Pump Disk, ECS camber arms, N15 SPAL 2082 fan, Micro-blue rod bearings, ZHP .712 Yellow tag rack.
Jump to top Radekxpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 08:11:02 PM   #592
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

Default Re: FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet (bounce freqs, FRC, roll stiffn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Looks like ShaikhA is running 78% FRC, and I assume he has the car set up to be reasonably neutral. I'm going to nix the rear spring, make no other changes, and see how it feels next event at 75.7% FRC.

I do notice that gives me ~half the roll stiffness of his car
Yeah, when I punch in no rear sway and the front sway on full soft. My FRC is 75.9 but my roll stiffness drops 1200lbs! I do t know whatís the better trade off, curious to know how your car feels to you.

04' Carbon Black, ZCP Rack, Autosolutions 40% SSK,
Evolve carbon roof, Evolve CSL Air Box, CSL Base tune, 280/272 Cams, SS V1 Header, SS sec 1,2, & SS Street, 3.91 R&P, JRZ RS Pro
Jump to top FrankJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 09:26:28 PM   #593
gearhead55

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJones View Post
Obioban,
With my latest setup, 2.10/2.25. 7% flatride and 74.8% FRC, the car felt pretty damn amazing. Feeling the balance point with the throttle, mid corner, and then driving it out of the turns feels great.
I also did not want to run a stiff front but using the sway as a tool to chase numbers, put me in the stiffest setting on the TMS front bar to achieve the FRC I got.
Question,
How do you enter a ďno swaybarĒ option in the spreadsheet? When I try it, it says NA for the FRC
What bar set up were you using to get the 74.8% FRC?

I'm leaning towards using the stock front bar and removing the rear bar (73.3% FRC), but the shop I use (RaceWerkz) thinks i'm crazy. He thinks that its a "street" setup and I should run more bar and not disconnect the rear bar. He says a no-rear-bar setup will squat too much. He's so skeptical of the concept that its making me second guess the set up. My focus is track performance but I do want the car to be streetable. I daily it a lot but I am fine with a very aggressive street set up.

for reference (since there are a lot of set ups to keep track of in here) I'm planning on using:
448/840, either 27mm/stock bar (70.9%), or stock/no rear bar (73.3%), or 27mm/no rear bar (75.2%)
Jump to top gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 10:12:27 PM   #594
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
What bar set up were you using to get the 74.8% FRC?

I'm leaning towards using the stock front bar and removing the rear bar (73.3% FRC), but the shop I use (RaceWerkz) thinks i'm crazy. He thinks that its a "street" setup and I should run more bar and not disconnect the rear bar. He says a no-rear-bar setup will squat too much. He's so skeptical of the concept that its making me second guess the set up. My focus is track performance but I do want the car to be streetable. I daily it a lot but I am fine with a very aggressive street set up.

for reference (since there are a lot of set ups to keep track of in here) I'm planning on using:
448/840, either 27mm/stock bar (70.9%), or stock/no rear bar (73.3%), or 27mm/no rear bar (75.2%)
I am running the turner motorsports front sway. Has three positions. The stiffest position ie- the hole closest to the front of the car is what's giving me that higher FRC.

My track setup is 400/350 2.10/2.25 hz 1.07 74.8%FRC TMS bar -Full Stiff
Street setup is 250/250 1.66/1.9 hz 1.15 75.3% FRC TMS bar - Center hole

Evolve carbon roof, Evolve CSL Air Box, CSL Base tune, 280/272 Cams, SS V1 Header, SS sec 1,2, & SS Street, 3.91 R&P, JRZ RS Pro
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 10:53:28 PM   #595
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJones View Post
Yeah, when I punch in no rear sway and the front sway on full soft. My FRC is 75.9 but my roll stiffness drops 1200lbs! I do t know whatís the better trade off, curious to know how your car feels to you.
We'll find out!

I don't mind body roll, unless it it's too the point I've run out of suspension travel. I feel like that shouldn't be the case, as the NT01s aren't that much grippier than the PSC1s, and I have similar roll stiffness and more travel than the CSL...

It's gonna be interesting. I'm doing at least one event with no rear sway at all. If that under delivers, I'll stick the adjustable Eibach bars from the wagon on and get tweaking. Next event is April 12-14.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 11:01:36 PM   #596
empty

United States

Consider disconnecting one end of the rear bar and hitting some cloverleaf stocks see how it feels, donít need to remove it from the car to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-19-2019, 11:18:34 PM   #597
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
We'll find out!

I don't mind body roll, unless it it's too the point I've run out of suspension travel. I feel like that shouldn't be the case, as the NT01s aren't that much grippier than the PSC1s, and I have similar roll stiffness and more travel than the CSL...

It's gonna be interesting. I'm doing at least one event with no rear sway at all. If that under delivers, I'll stick the adjustable Eibach bars from the wagon on and get tweaking. Next event is April 12-14.
Yes tires! Im on street tires. Seems like if your suspension doesn't bottom before you lose grip, you have optimized the suspension travel. Im excited to hear the results of your tests! My next days are 4/6, 4/7.

Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 03:38:39 AM   #598
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Just drove with new spring rates and flat ride. The car is definitely more comfortable to drive around the streets. On harsher rodes (I drove within San Francisco everyday) with giant potholes, it feels somewhat similar (maybe it's a little better, but nothing too crazy). Where I notice it the most is when I catch some speed (45 MPH+) and I go over small bumps and whatnot.

The big test will be on track as I have two track days coming next month. Here are my specs:
392lb 7in swift springs
750lb 5in eibach springs
Turner front sway bar (medium)
stock rear sway bar

This puts me at 6% flat ride with 2.1Hz up front and 2.22Hz in the rear. FRC is at 73.2%
Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 05:28:05 AM   #599
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

^ sounds like a good setup!

Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 12:23:11 PM   #600
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Seems like most people aren't doing a very high % bounce ratio? E.g. at 2.2hz, 6% is actually "flat ride" at ~150mph.

Curious as to people's though processes there? I felt like I was low at 14%/2.09hz (which is flat ride at ~74mph).

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

FS: Intravee and various compatible AI Net components.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote