BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Feb-21-2019, 11:38:52 PM   #491
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet (bounce freqs, FRC, roll stiffn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
Where are you seeing a 1.5 freq ratio? Those rates should give me 1.02 freq ratio.

I chose those spring rates because I wanted a linear spring stiffer up front than my PSS9 spring, which Bilstein told me was 340 or 380, I don’t remember now. The bounce frequencies with 448/840 are close to GT3 frequencies, which is what I’m shooting for, ride quality/stiffness wise. I spent some time driving a 991 GT3 RS and would like to replicate that. They’re also close to Shaikh’s 330i, which by anecdotal accounts seems like a good balance of track stiffness and streetable ride quality.

The only aspect that I am not sure about is the front bar. Ideally I would like a 29mm bar, but couldn’t find one. I may end up switching to 30mm bar depending on how this set up behaves.

Are you using pss9 dampers for the FCM build?
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Jump to top eacmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-21-2019, 11:52:55 PM   #492
gearhead55

United States

Default Re: FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet (bounce freqs, FRC, roll stiffn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
Are you using pss9 dampers for the FCM build?
Yes PSS9 dampers, swift springs.
Jump to top gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 12:44:15 AM   #493
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Yes PSS9 dampers, swift springs.
Interested to hear your results.

I would urge you/FCM to err on the "sport" side of the sport/comfort scale. Essentially, have him just soften the rebound edge a pinch as I've found the Billy dampers to be pretty good out of the box. Just a very subtle tweak here and there and they'll be perfect. FCM's sport setting should handle extremely good and be a bit more plush on the street than would normally be expected.

I never went for the full KBO. Just the standard re-valve, custom reduced pressure, trimmmed front bumps and ripple reducer.

Current - 2017 F82 M4 ZCP DCT Blk/Blk Fully Loaded
Current - 2004 E46 M3 6MT SG/Black
Sold - 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/Black Cloth "stripper"
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 02:16:23 AM   #494
empty

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty View Post
Hmm, plugged those rates into the spreadsheet, will give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were right, I reset the page then re-entered.

I’m thinking about 500 f & 425 r, coil over rear, 1.06 flat ride, GC large front bar & stock rear, JRZ RS pros.

Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 03:08:28 PM   #495
gearhead55

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Interested to hear your results.

I would urge you/FCM to err on the "sport" side of the sport/comfort scale. Essentially, have him just soften the rebound edge a pinch as I've found the Billy dampers to be pretty good out of the box. Just a very subtle tweak here and there and they'll be perfect. FCM's sport setting should handle extremely good and be a bit more plush on the street than would normally be expected.

I never went for the full KBO. Just the standard re-valve, custom reduced pressure, trimmmed front bumps and ripple reducer.
Ok thanks for the tips! I’m going the same route, ripple reducer but no KBO.

Quote:
You were right, I reset the page then re-entered.

I’m thinking about 500 f & 425 r, coil over rear, 1.06 flat ride, GC large front bar & stock rear, JRZ RS pros.
That sounds like a good set up. How do you plan to use the car? And are the RS pros the double adjustable ones? I’m not sure if they’ve changed this, but I guess the 2-way JRZs are a dual-tube design and are inferior to the single adjustable monotube design. The 3-ways are monotube again though. This is just something I heard from the race shop I go to and I haven’t researched myself, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 06:27:18 PM   #496
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
but I guess the 2-way JRZs are a dual-tube design and are inferior to the single adjustable monotube design. The 3-ways are monotube again though. This is just something I heard from the race shop I go to and I haven’t researched myself, so take that with a grain of salt.
A twin tube isn't necessarily "inferior" to a monotube. Each type has their strengths and weaknesses.

Granted, generally speaking, a monotube is probably better suited for 100% track use, but IMO quality is much more important. I would rather have a quality twin tube than a crappy monotube.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 06:43:09 PM   #497
empty

United States

Quote:
Ok thanks for the tips! I’m going the same route, ripple reducer but no KBO.

That sounds like a good set up. How do you plan to use the car? And are the RS pros the double adjustable ones? I’m not sure if they’ve changed this, but I guess the 2-way JRZs are a dual-tube design and are inferior to the single adjustable monotube design. The 3-ways are monotube again though. This is just something I heard from the race shop I go to and I haven’t researched myself, so take that with a grain of salt.

Plan is for a streetable track car, only two seats and kids are HS & college, likely only me in the car 90% of the time.

RS pros are monotube 2-ways with remote reservoir.

Thx

Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 07:32:35 PM   #498
gearhead55

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
A twin tube isn't necessarily "inferior" to a monotube. Each type has their strengths and weaknesses.

Granted, generally speaking, a monotube is probably better suited for 100% track use, but IMO quality is much more important. I would rather have a quality twin tube than a crappy monotube.
Sure, but I’m comparing the twin-tube/monotube from the same manufacturer, ‘quality’ should be consistent. Supposedly the twin-tube JRZs ride noticeably worse than the monotubes.

Quote:
Plan is for a streetable track car, only two seats and kids are HS & college, likely only me in the car 90% of the time.

RS pros are monotube 2-ways with remote reservoir.

Thx
Sounds dope!
Old Fri, Feb-22-2019, 08:35:29 PM   #499
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Sure, but I’m comparing the twin-tube/monotube from the same manufacturer, ‘quality’ should be consistent. Supposedly the twin-tube JRZs ride noticeably worse than the monotubes.
Fair enough. When you said it was inferior, I thought you referring to twin tube as an inferior design.

But in this particular case, yes, that twin tube might be an inferior product. Generally speaking, the ride of a twin tube *should* be better than a monotube because of the lower gas pressure. In theory, anyway.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-23-2019, 12:43:36 AM   #500
RT-66

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RT4 View Post
OE plates and CSL king-pins do almost 2½° negative on their max setting .
I got my car aligned and easily got -2.0 with OEM plates and Dinan camber plates. I don't doubt an OEM, Dinan, CSL kingpin setup would get -3 or maybe a bit more.
Jump to top RT-66 is offline   Reply With Quote