BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 03:37:53 AM   #11
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: TTFS CSL Tune vs 6spd swap

I agree it does look intimidating. Just read thru Martyn’s threads and ask questions if you're lost like I was.
After flashing these SMG tweaks you will really enjoy driving a SMG!

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Thu, Dec-13-2018 at 04:30:03 AM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 03:02:41 PM   #12
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330 View Post
Phew!!!! This is a HUGE amount of information and really really helpful. I am tempted to try this (reflash) and get the CSL tune first before spending big money on the swap. Iíve always been a 6spd guy but itís a lot of money to spend and since the car will be tracked I know it may be helpful to have SMG vs manual. Iíll also admit it looks intimidating; Iím computer savvy (played around with PASoft a bit), but what youíve described is well above my comfort level. I think Iíll have to read through it more.

I also like the SMG pump relocation; seems like a basic thing BMW should have done to begin with.
It's not remotely challenging. I did it while I got my parts together for the trans swap so I could find SMG bearable.
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 03:59:12 PM   #13
burningchrome

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Then, for free, add in the second portion of the tune (the part that flashes on to the SMG DME), the CSL '255' software'. The TTFS tune does NOT include this, they only provide the portion that flashes onto the engine DME.
I bought a headers, tune, and SMG tune package from Active Auto. So there's an SMG DME flash I'm probably missing?
Jump to top burningchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 05:37:56 PM   #14
SeeBee

In the garage:

Canada

I have had the TTFS flash for a couple of years and made a significant difference. So there's an SMG DME flash I'm probably missing? Is the 255 compatible? Can I just add it?

Thanks in advance...
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 07:29:30 PM   #15
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
It's not remotely challenging. I did it while I got my parts together for the trans swap so I could find SMG bearable.
On a scale of 1–10, how bearable is it? I’m thinking about buying a nice SMG example and eventually convert to manual, but the stock SMG software is so terrible that I’m not sure about that.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 07:50:43 PM   #16
Texaz3

United States

Aside from Bimmergeeks $50 cable, is there any other cables that work? I see a lot of $15-25 cables on eBay and amazon which seem to do the same thing - any experience?
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 08:44:30 PM   #17
andrewrivera141

United States

I need this in my life.. I bought computer thinking I could do this and diagnose my 46, and went so cheap I don't even have enough memory to download sh#@. Thanks for the files

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top andrewrivera141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 08:51:25 PM   #18
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
On a scale of 1Ė10, how bearable is it? Iím thinking about buying a nice SMG example and eventually convert to manual, but the stock SMG software is so terrible that Iím not sure about that.
Trust me I HATED SMG when I drove a buddies when I had my 6spd. Now I love SMG. Just get the tune and and relocate the pump so no issues arise.
Jump to top SeanE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 08:58:38 PM   #19
empty

United States

Will the Vag-Com cable that I use with the Ross-Tech software to troubleshoot my Audi work for this task?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 10:03:14 PM   #20
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I have had the TTFS flash for a couple of years and made a significant difference. So there's an SMG DME flash I'm probably missing? Is the 255 compatible? Can I just add it?

Thanks in advance...
Yep, you should be able to add it by following the directions in the link I provided in my first post in this thread. From my understanding the "TTFS" SMG tune is not at all different from the standard CSL tune that you could flash on your own. Only difference (from my understanding) is the TTFS comes with it's own cable and software interface and a price tag that is about 10x more than doing the engine DME portion of the SMG tune yourself. The SMG DME portion ('255' software) as mentioned previously can be done by you for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
On a scale of 1–10, how bearable is it? I’m thinking about buying a nice SMG example and eventually convert to manual, but the stock SMG software is so terrible that I’m not sure about that.
How "bearable" is it, kind of sets the question up to suggest that the SMG isn't going to be good regardless. Honestly, assuming your pump is in good health, the tune is fantastic. Mind you, my car is a 2003.5 and had been updated by the dealership by the PO with the latest USA-spec SMG software, so I've never driven an SMG that I felt drove poorly, the CSL software just further improved and refined the SMG experience. If I had to put it on a scale, I'd say 9 out of 10. In terms of software, 10 out of 10. I rated it a 9 though, because even with the best software tune on it, if the SMG is still in the stock location, it's prone to overheating in hot summer climate conditions when stuck in traffic and throwing you into neutral. This can't be overcome with software and can only be fixed via relocating the pump. Once the pump is relocated and this is no longer an issue, I'd rate the experience (personally) 10 out of 10. It's really not much if any different from a traditional manual...only the clutch pedal is robotized. I can drive my car just as smooth and "jerkiness" free as any traditional manual. It adapts to your driving style on the fly, meaning when you are cruising lazily and light on the throttle pedal, the shifts are at the same pace. Some will call this a slow shift, but the reality is, it shifts in lazy driving conditions just as swift as you would shift using your right hand in a traditional manual when casually cruising. With a traditional manual, when you are just cruising, you're not banging your shifts as fast as you possibly can, you shift at a relaxed pace. The SMG does the same thing when you drive casually in it's lower-mid range drivelogic settings. BUT when you put your foot down and begin to drive the car like you'd expect an M car to be driven, it will adapt instantaneously and shift faster than you could with a traditional manual. It has the ability to shift just as fast at the e9x M3's DCT. ...but it feels more visceral and mechanical, like an analog traditional manual would feel like, vs the numb feeling you get with DCTs that shift so "seamless" that they feel like automatics. I really don't notice much of any difference between SMG and a traditional manual in terms of shifts, except the left foot actuation is robotized and the shifts have the ability to be much quicker. My car's SMG is fantastic and the shifts are always smooth, and like a traditional manual, smoothness is dependent on driver competence. It's very easy to drive a traditional manual "jerky" if you are not used to the clutch of that particular car too, but once your get some miles on a traditional manual, its easy to drive smooth as well. SMG when setup properly is the same way, but with a slightly lesser learning curve than learning to drive a traditional manual. Personally, I love it with the CSL software. The SMG is just as much apart of the driving experience of the 46M to me as the high-revving S54 is. Also, if not clear, it should be driven on manual mode. It's a manual transmission that has the extra-feature of trying to be an automatic. The CSL software improves the automatic mode, but once again, automatic mode is an afterthought. It is not an automatic transmission trying to be a manual. Unless your hands are tied up with your cellphone, there is really no reason to ever use auto-mode in my opinion (if anything, it's the auto-mode that the SMG shows it's age...but an SMG was designed and should be purchased for it's manual mode first and foremost, not the auto-mode feature).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Aside from Bimmergeeks $50 cable, is there any other cables that work? I see a lot of $15-25 cables on eBay and amazon which seem to do the same thing - any experience?
Yep I used a $15 eBay cable that came with a software bundle. It works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty View Post
Will the Vag-Com cable that I use with the Ross-Tech software to troubleshoot my Audi work for this task?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No idea on the specifics of your cable, but I'd imagine that it would work fine. At the end of the day it just needs to be a cable that can communicate through OBDII to your computer and then the software on the computer will do the rest. The only cable that is unique to the software, is PASoft using a specific cable, but that has nothing to do with SMG tuning.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Dec-13-2018 at 10:48:50 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote