BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Parts for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Parts for Sale/Wanted Post your Parts Wanted, and non commercial bmw related items for sale. We ask that companies selling goods become a Sponsor to advertise your goods.

Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 10:34:34 AM   #271
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Default Re: Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

The problem for some of is (01-02) that thereís going to be zero room for any fans in there. Still not sure how youíre going to fit the pump in there with the ABS unit.

Def need this kit, so willing to do some testing in Southern Californiaís desert winter. (Itís been in the 80ís all ****ing October...wtf) I do about 2-3 canyon runs a week
Jump to top M spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 02:23:00 PM   #272
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by idntknow2005 View Post
I think a small intercooler would be more useful than a fan. There's not a lot of room for the air to circulate since the hood seals off the drug bin. If you could cool the fluid, youd essentially be cooling the entire unit internally.

Ejaz posted some of his before and after temps earlier in this thread.
I feel there is really no need to over complicate this mod. My pump is the original pump and i was out driving around in our intense heat, 125f, and high humidity and hot winds and the car works perfectly. The relocation of the pump to the drug bin is enough, if anyone wants cool air to be directed to the pump just use a flexible cooling hose from the front of the car and cut a hole in the drug bin and it'll be even better. If the track was open in the summer here i would go take a lap or to to show that it works even better but unfortunately that is our off season.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 02:52:25 PM   #273
rjskalet

United States

Default Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

I can't imagine that the smg pump in the drug bin will create too much heat compared to the engine bay. My catch can and supercharger fluid reservoir are currently in there and it stays pretty much ambient in there when I drive it and my car heats up pretty quick. Now adding the pump will generate heat I do agree but there are locations for that heat to escape since it's not perfectly sealed where in the engine bay it's subjected to heat all the time and my bypass valves blow warm air directly on it. It may not be a completely permanent solution but I do believe it will significantly increase the longevity of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 01:00:43 AM   #274
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by idntknow2005 View Post
I think a small intercooler would be more useful than a fan. There's not a lot of room for the air to circulate since the hood seals off the drug bin. If you could cool the fluid, youd essentially be cooling the entire unit internally.

Ejaz posted some of his before and after temps earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
I feel there is really no need to over complicate this mod. My pump is the original pump and i was out driving around in our intense heat, 125f, and high humidity and hot winds and the car works perfectly. The relocation of the pump to the drug bin is enough, if anyone wants cool air to be directed to the pump just use a flexible cooling hose from the front of the car and cut a hole in the drug bin and it'll be even better. If the track was open in the summer here i would go take a lap or to to show that it works even better but unfortunately that is our off season.
I've long thought that a small intercooler (like the oil coolers for a S/C) would be a great option to keep the SMG further cooled...BUT as of now, I have to agree with Ejaz (0-60 Motorsports). I don't think there is any reason to over complicate this system. The beauty of the SMG system is its mechanically very simple. If Ejaz has had zero heat issues post-relocation, in the hot Middle-East climate, then I can't imagine additional cooling would be necessary. IF guy's are still having problems with their SMG after relocating, it would likely be down to 3 things, a worn electric motor, an accumulator that no longer is holding pressure, or a sensor is faulty. Our mounting bracket makes servicing all of these components super simple. The electric motor, the temperature sensor, and all the hydraulic sensors are easily accessible from the top. It's as simple as removing a few screws and replacing. Swapping any of those should be doable in minutes. If the accumulator is no longer holding pressure, it's as simple as depressurizing the accumulator (pulling the salmon relay and then shifting until pressure falls), then un mounting the SMG pump from the bracket (done in a minutes time), lifting it off and unscrewing the accumulator. It's as service friendly as it gets. When the hood is closed, the drug bin is completely sealed off from the engine bay, so heat should no longer be an issue....at least that has been the trend from everyone that has relocated their pumps that I am aware of; Ejaz being one of the guys that really subjects his to the extreme end of the temperature spectrum.

Update on progress:
We have decided to stick with the stand-alone OE CSL Fluid Reservoir to keep things as "factory" plug-and-play as possible rather than fabricating or sourcing a different reservoir. We should be able to offer these at a lower price than any other retailer/vender. We have 7 on order that are being sent to us and once received the fluid reservoir mounting bracket will be complete, which is the last piece of the puzzle. Due to the dynamic shape and dimensions of the CSL fluid reservoir, we need one on hand to properly make this bracket so we are waiting for our shipment to arrive, hopefully later this week from across the Atlantic.

I haven't had the chance to "professionally" photograph everything just quite yet, but I figure It would be a good time to post some pictures of all the different components along with a brief description.

SMG Mounting bracket: Version 1: For those that do NOT have the ABS unit in the drug bin.
*Patent Pending.
- The actual SMG surround is one solid piece, professionally bent to form without any welds.
- The 3 arm brackets that come off the portion that surrounds the SMG pump are fully TIG welded.
- Precision cut holes allow for some degrees of adjustability when mounting this.
- Extremely stiff and rigid design. Once mounted, your very expensive pump will not be wobbling or bouncing around.
- Can be installed in under a minute.
- Includes all the bolts and fasteners to install the mounting bracket and to mount the SMG pump.
- Orientation allows for the SMG electric motor, temperature sensor, and hydraulic sensors to easily be replaced if needing service without removing the SMG pump. All are fully accessible from the top and can be replaced in minutes.
- Comes powder-coated black with high heat resistant black powder coating. (Red powder coating in the images are for demonstration purposes only, although if you wanted it red, we can do that too). Custom color would be an additional cost.
- Plenty of room to spare for a catch-can, ect.
- Designed, made, and assembled in the USA.

We will be working on a Version 2, made for those that DO have the ABS unit in the drug-bin, but at this time that design is still in the works and not yet being offered.

SMG Bracket (patent pending) with standard silver with transparent coated hydraulic lines:
*Red Powder-Coating is for demonstrations purposes only. Production model comes powder-coated in black high-heat resistant powder coating.

Hydraulic lines:
- We have these custom made for this application.
- Each line is fully coated for added abrasion and corrosion resistance.
- Made in the USA.
- Standard silver hydraulic lines (transparent coated):

- We will be offering a few custom colored hydraulic line options:

Wiring Harness:
- OE BMW plugs are used on both ends.
- Wiring is professionally done with very high-heat resistant coated wires.
- Sheathed in very high heat woven heat shield.
- Plug and play, like the OE harness. Zero cutting, soldering, or splicing.
- Assembled in the USA.

OE CSL SMG Fluid Reservoir with reservoir mounting bracket:

Hope you guys like what you see. A LOT of time and money has gone into being able to offer this to the community.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Oct-31-2018 at 01:23:14 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 01:04:05 AM   #275
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Looks great! I know it's becoming a broken record, here, but could you please post a photo of how the kit looks on a 01-02 that has the ABS in that same bin?
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 01:12:20 AM   #276
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
Looks great! I know it's becoming a broken record, here, but could you please post a photo of how the kit looks on a 01-02 that has the ABS in that same bin?
The bracket above will not accommodate an 01-02 with the ABS unit in the drug-bin. While it was our intention to design one bracket to accommodate both styles, there was no way of eloquently doing so without sacrificing both serviceability and visual aesthetics.

We will be working on the design for a "Version 2" designed for those that have the ABS unit in the drug-bin at a future date, but due to the vast majority not falling under this category, we chose to complete the current bracket first. Once we make progress on the design for the few of you with 01-02s, I will post pictures up.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 01:24:18 AM   #277
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Cost?

2003 BMW 330i ZHP - 6MT - Imola Red II/Alcantara
2003 BMW M3 - SMG - Laguna Seca Blue - Track car, track stuff
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 01:43:02 AM   #278
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
The bracket above will not accommodate an 01-02 with the ABS unit in the drug-bin. While it was our intention to design one bracket to accommodate both styles, there was no way of eloquently doing so without sacrificing both serviceability and visual aesthetics.

We will be working on the design for a "Version 2" designed for those that have the ABS unit in the drug-bin at a future date, but due to the vast majority not falling under this category, we chose to complete the current bracket first. Once we make progress on the design for the few of you with 01-02s, I will post pictures up.

Would you be able to offer everything but the bracket and resivor (have a CSL resivor)?
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 02:01:58 AM   #279
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
Cost?
Will send you a PM shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
Would you be able to offer everything but the bracket and resivor (have a CSL resivor)?
Yep, that's no problem. =)

Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 02:32:34 AM   #280
empty

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Will send you a PM shortly.

Shoot that to me as well
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top empty is offline   Reply With Quote