BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-03-2012, 03:07:14 PM   #11
Alachua
E46 > *

United States

Default Re: Swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
GC sways, although nice, may be overkill for the street. If this is a street car, stick with the Turners/H&R.

Mr. Wolfe
+1... plus sways are fine tuning. "beefy" sways shouldn't be used to take the slack out of soft coilovers. Unless you're truly tracking the hell out of the car, you shouldn't need them anyway if you have the proper coilover kit set up.

--2005 e46 M3 Jet Black/Black Nappa ZCP 6SPD--
Supersprint Race|OEM CSL Bootlid|OEM CSL Console|Tekcarbon 1x1 Diffuser|TC Kline D/A with 500f/500r|Powerflex RTABs|Stud Conversion
Awaiting install: Karbonius CSL Airbox and all OEM pieces

--2018 f85 X5M Mineral White/Mugello Red Merino--
Dinan S1 | IND red start button
Jump to top Alachua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-03-2012, 03:26:26 PM   #12
vndkshn
Goin' crazy... wanna come?

United States

Quote:
GC sways, although nice, may be overkill for the street. If this is a street car, stick with the Turners/H&R.

Mr. Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alachua View Post
+1... plus sways are fine tuning. "beefy" sways shouldn't be used to take the slack out of soft coilovers. Unless you're truly tracking the hell out of the car, you shouldn't need them anyway if you have the proper coilover kit set up.
The voices of reason.

But hey, this forum is full of people who put race parts on their street driven cars... guess that makes them racecar drivers.....

because racecar.....
Performance Mods: D/A Race Software, D/A VAC Lightweight UnderDrive Pulleys, Streamline Panel, Ceramic Coated Stainless headers, Race-cats, B&B Tri-Flow, Motons, Vorshlag plates, GC Adj. Rear Camber Arms, GC Race Hybrid FCAB, Powerflex RTABs, H-Sport Sways, GC adjustable endlinks, GSP Clutch Pedal, 40% Autosolutions SSK, Rogue Trans Mounts, PFC WC/GAC front brake kit, PFC-01s for the track.

Click Here for nightmare ECS story. - LOL, it was deleted, guess it shows the sponsors can get away with anything here.
Jump to top vndkshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 04:19:55 AM   #13
AP3X_FTW
Visor Down For Business

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
The voices of reason.

But hey, this forum is full of people who put race parts on their street driven cars... guess that makes them racecar drivers.....

because racecar.....
Or some people just like to do things right the first time. Never did I state whether or not the OP was a capable driver, nor do I care. He asked for info in effort to make an educated purchase, I gave him the best of my knowledge. Now do I personally own the GC swaybar or any aftermarket bar at the moment for that matter, no. This is because I understand that this bar may be something I need to grow into. For now my AST's are plenty.

I would however prefer to buy the GC when I am infact ready for multiple reasons. As stated before the GC bar is light and fully adjustable. Furthermore not all bars come with endlinks, the GC does. Etc

OP, depending on what your currently running for suspension, an aggressive swaybar setting may be overkill and in turn damage/rip your mounts due to excessive stress (or so I have heard).

Goodluck and give us feedback once you make a purchase.

E92 M3
E70 X5 M Sport
i3 RE
Jump to top AP3X_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 06:12:23 AM   #14
SC_TR0JAN_M3

United States

just got my oem setup swapped out for the GC sways. amazing feeling with the upgrade. i cannot wait to truly test it out at the track in 2 weeks. the turn in so crisp now and the car responses so sharply with throttle inputs within a turn.

one thing i noticed with the oem setup was that it felt that the car would lag on settling in at turn in, even with my MCS setup and spring rates. now with the GC sways, there's just no waiting. it sets in, turns in, and asks for more in the next turn. i know i'll definitely hafta adjust to this new sensation when i get out to the track next.

can you achieve this with other bars? prolly you could. however my race shop that i go to for most of my suspension and track prep work likes to work with GC sways cuz of their infinite adjustments for the front bar and more options for the rear bar. having options is valuable and GC is the winner in this case.

the only thing to be aware of is that depending on the shock setup that you have, the rear bar may have super tight tolerances between the control arms and/or the subframe. so make sure you install it correctly or bring it to a competent shop.

New Hotness
2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Karbonius :: Radium :: CSF :: Supersprint :: Dinan :: UUC :: Vorsteiner :: Beisan :: MCS :: Ground Control :: PFC :: Bimmerworld ::
Gone But Not Forgotten
2004 Carbon Black E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Motion Control :: Performance Friction :: Autosolution :: Ground Control :: Mason :: APEX ::

IG: tiag.m3.grigio
Jump to top SC_TR0JAN_M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 06:17:29 AM   #15
IHatePosers
Long Live M3

United States

Quote:

Mr. Wolfe
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfurdm View Post
I will be going Turner. Pretty much maintenance free. The GC while very nice, require lubrication.
+1

one of the issues why i didn't do gc from the start was because i drove the car on the street. my car sees about 600-1000 miles a year, and they are highway and track miles, so i can handle the need for maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
The voices of reason.

because racecar.....
lawlz

2018 Dodge Durango GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official 2014 Formula 1 Game View Post
Ihateposers says,"ttylkthxbai"
Jump to top IHatePosers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 07:53:55 AM   #16
cookie_monster

United States

I would've gotten GC if I didn't get a good deal on my Hotchkis bars. The only reason for this is because the price difference between them wasn't big enough for me (~$40) to get anything else (Turner/H&R/Hotchkis). Then a deal came up and I grabbed them. Although most of the 3 adjustable don't come with end links you can use your current ones and if not you can buy adjustable front end links for $100.

How much you're going to need "Infinite adjustability?" Seriously...overkill for most.
Jump to top cookie_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 05:56:51 PM   #17
Taunto

Canada

has anyone tried the new Hotchiks sway bars? they are adjustable like GC, not to sure if they require lubrication tho. I know there a new brand in the BMW Market, I had these on old Ford lightning when i droped it and they worked great. I think when im in the market for swaybars for the M I think i might end up trying these out..anyone have experience with these bars yet?
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 06:05:51 PM   #18
AP3X_FTW
Visor Down For Business

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
has anyone tried the new Hotchiks sway bars? they are adjustable like GC, not to sure if they require lubrication tho. I know there a new brand in the BMW Market, I had these on old Ford lightning when i droped it and they worked great. I think when im in the market for swaybars for the M I think i might end up trying these out..anyone have experience with these bars yet?
I have been curious about the Hotchkis bar, it was a great bar for the 350z platform. Could be a good choice if it's not heavy and cheap enough to justify buying new end links ontop.

E92 M3
E70 X5 M Sport
i3 RE

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; Mon, May-07-2012 at 03:58:38 AM.
Jump to top AP3X_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 08:53:54 PM   #19
whips333

In the garage:

United States

i might go with a turner set just cause im mostly a street driver with a couple solo events a year.
Jump to top whips333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-06-2012, 10:19:44 PM   #20
jacclark

Canada

You only need front sways fyi.
| Angel Eyes | 6k D2S | HID Fog Lights | CSL Diffuser, Trunk and Splitters | Custom Alum Lightweight Rear Seat Delete |
Thanks to: Obioban and Dan Law at DER Motorsports
Modification Recommendations: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=314627
Jump to top jacclark is offline   Reply With Quote