BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Closed Thread

Old Thu, Apr-14-2011, 09:30:29 PM   #1
ilikecake

United States

Default Nitrous setup confusion, pods, gauges, etc...

Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I just got my car recently and am a total newb when it comes to nitrous. Well, I'm having some serious issues choosing the pieces to make up my nitrous setup. I have a 2002 M3 coupe and I'm looking to do somewhere in the neighborhood of a 100 shot. So far I have found the NX Complete Kit which includes pretty much everything short of a remote bottle opener and the gauges. Here is where it gets complicated: I've noticed that it is recommended to have 3 gauges with this setup: A/F ratio, fuel pressure, and nitrous pressure. Unfortunately I have only been able to find gauge pods that will hold 2 gauges for my car. It seems no one is making a 3 gauge pod. I would love to mount all three gauges on the pillar for aesthetics and function. So do I need to have one custom built? Would anyone know how much this might cost me? And here's the other thing... NX is making a controller (looks like a gauge) called the Octane Series Controller that supposedly covers all three of the readings of the 3 gauges I listed earlier. This would eliminate the need for the custom gauge pod in the pillar. So let me ask you guys, would it be smart to allow all these functions to be performed by this one controller or would you opt for having the three separate gauges right in front of you even though it stands to cost you quite a bit more for that option? I just want to be sure I get this setup right as it worries me enough to run nitrous in the first place, but I would really like to give this a shot given the proper equipment. Oh, and could I maybe get some suggestions on where I can get the switches I will need to activate all this stuff? And am I missing anything here? Any pieces I've left off my list that I am going to need? I appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-14-2011, 10:08:13 PM   #2
ch1townballa

United States

Default Re: Nitrous setup confusion, pods, gauges, etc...

I can't be too much help but check out the F/I Section, there is an entire nitrous FAQ there with a bunch of info and a lot of knowledgeable members.
Old Thu, Apr-14-2011, 10:25:00 PM   #3
Taunto

Canada

I can't help u on the pillar pods cause I'm not sure about that. U should be able to buy switches right from nx express. I'm running a 100 wet shot on my 2002 ford lightning. I would highly recommend you to run a fuel pressure safety switch and a air fuel safety switch. I got them on my lightning so if my truck runs to low of fuel pressure or too lean while I'm spraying it shuts down the selinoids right away to prevent any damage to my engine. And will u be running a wet shot or dry shot
Old Fri, Apr-15-2011, 03:23:12 PM   #4
ilikecake

United States

Thanks for your replies guys. This will definitely be a wet setup. I know the kit comes with a fuel pressure safety switch but I actually didn't know there was an air/fuel ratio safety switch. That's something I will be looking into. I want to be sure I get all the safeties on this thing that I possibly can. It seems much better to spend a few extra bux now as opposed to blowing up the engine. And you say I can get my switches (and by that I mean buttons for activation) from NX? I've looked around a bit but haven't been able to come up with anything. I did see a guy running what he called "BEER" switches, but I wasn't sure what that meant and he didn't explain further. Does anyone know anything about these?
Old Fri, Apr-15-2011, 09:02:26 PM   #5
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Are you doing a single port or direct port system?

If you are going single port you will need a K&N type 69 or equivilent.

There happens to be one on the FS forums, seller wants to trade with OEM intake...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=360933

Nitrous FAQ...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=208229

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Old Sat, Apr-16-2011, 04:41:31 AM   #6
6spd_legend

United States

zex wet > nx, just saying...

Old Sat, Apr-16-2011, 06:22:01 AM   #7
Taunto

Canada

What switches u looking for? the airming switch? or the engagment switch that actually starts the spraying? Arming switch energizes the selinoids and engagment switch is when the switch is closed....HOLD ON to ur panties
Old Sat, Apr-16-2011, 06:32:59 AM   #8
Taunto

Canada

My Selinoids
Selinoids.jpg
My FJO Controller
FJO Controller.jpg
The billet caps just for show
Billet_Caps_0171.jpg
And my Bottle Heater with custom made bottle bag
bottle heater.jpg

Just some quick shots of the set-up thats on my lightning

Oh and a quick pic of the truck at a local car show

Last edited by Taunto; Sat, Apr-16-2011 at 06:39:33 AM.
Old Sat, Apr-16-2011, 09:25:31 PM   #9
ilikecake

United States

I was planning to do a single port setup as I figured for a 100 shot the direct port route would be overkill. Am I maybe off the mark here? Seemed like direct port setups were seriously costly and possibly unnecessary from some of the other threads I've read. MPOWERD I wasn't aware that I would need an aftermarket intake to pull off a single port setup. Is this really true? I thought I had seen a couple of guys who had single ports done with the stock intake. 6spd legend, why do you prefer zex over nx? I am definitely open to suggestions if there are particular reasons you can site for me. And Taunto, that truck is sweet man! I really like the way you have had your nitrous done too. That looks really slick. I'm looking for the buttons for bottle opening, purge, heater, etc. I think I would like them to fit right into the ashtray like I've seen some people on here doing. I just can't seem to locate any switch panels like this...
Old Sat, Apr-16-2011, 11:00:29 PM   #10
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

I know that using the K&N intake will give you the best results for single spray. You can get a better spread of spray with it, the way it disperses it when you aim the nozzle towards the drivers side wall to bounce it off the intake wall.

DP on the other hand is a guaranteed even spray to every cylinder. Yes its more expensive and requires alot more modificiations, but its the best system for continuous results.

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Closed Thread