BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sun, Mar-13-2011, 11:23:13 PM   #11
SEXYBEAST

United States

Default Re: New clutch/transmission DCT

To the OP-- I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having- terrible stuff. I am considering ordering M-DCT when I trade in my '08 for a '12. But when I read posts like this, it makes me think about sticking with 6 MT. I know this is an odd question, but if you had to do it over again would you have gone manual? I've driven a M-DCT at the M Power event and was extremely impressed. But for every day driveability/liveability I'm not so sure now. If any of you other M-DCT owners would like to weigh in, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Jump to top SEXYBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-14-2011, 02:03:57 AM   #12
elh0102

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXYBEAST View Post
To the OP-- I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having- terrible stuff. I am considering ordering M-DCT when I trade in my '08 for a '12. But when I read posts like this, it makes me think about sticking with 6 MT. I know this is an odd question, but if you had to do it over again would you have gone manual? I've driven a M-DCT at the M Power event and was extremely impressed. But for every day driveability/liveability I'm not so sure now. If any of you other M-DCT owners would like to weigh in, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
I have an '11 E92 with DCT and have been very pleased with it. Frankly, I did not think I would ever buy one, but after several test drives, I changed my mind. I've only had one track weekend with it, but after about 7K street miles, it has been trouble free and a pleasure to drive. To be honest, my last street/track car was 996 GT3, and if BMW had a comparable clutch, shifter and transmission, I would have stayed with the conventional manual. There is no doubt that DCT is faster. Not only are the shifts faster, but it also allows total freedom for left foot braking. So, on track, I'm convinced that DCT is superior. But, since most of us buy M3's for the street, the DCT performance advantage is secondary to the overall driving experience. Proper control of the clutch and heel/toe shifting is a lot of fun, and you don't have that with DCT. Also, some folks are disappointed because the DCT, in D mode, does not really act like an automantic, because it is not. It does not have the same seamless operation as a good automatic, and some clunking and lagging is noticed at low speed maneuvers. This bothers some folks, so a good long test drive is highly recommended. I see no reason not to buy the DCT from a reliability perspective, it's just personal preference.

Last edited by elh0102; Mon, Mar-14-2011 at 03:21:41 AM.
Jump to top elh0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-14-2011, 02:52:33 AM   #13
M3cardenal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXYBEAST View Post
Short answer: NO. I LOVE the DCT (and the wife gets to drive it too). I would not hesitate, especially in a 2012 model year (4-5 years since it came out). Someone made a great point earlier about BMW moving the DCT into the rest of the line. That speaks volumes about what overall data they seem to have gathered over the years in reliability. I am not to concerned yet. Maybe if something happens again I will change my mind, but only for earlier model years like mine (2009).
PS, I really like the 2011 335i loaner, but i really miss my M3 (absence makes the heart grow fonder).
Jump to top M3cardenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-14-2011, 05:12:52 AM   #14
SEXYBEAST

United States

elh0102 and M3cardenal-- thanks very much for your thoughtful and candid comments-- very helpful and much appreciated! Although I love driving manual, I think it will be the M-DCT for my '12. I would also like my girlfriend and other family members to be able to drive my car when necessary. Most importantly, I was TOTALLY blown away when I got behind the wheel of an M-DCT at the M Power event. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by SEXYBEAST; Mon, Mar-14-2011 at 05:16:24 AM.
Jump to top SEXYBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-14-2011, 09:53:29 AM   #15
m3e46freak
M3 Freq

In the garage:

Germany

Great write-up Cleveland, you hit the nail on the nuts.
Rohanna
BC Coil
Carbon Package

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK
Jump to top m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-16-2011, 01:22:31 AM   #16
rantarM3

United States

I wonder if Mitsubishi's SST (twin clutch) transmission has any problems like BMW's DCT. I drove an Evo X MR and the tranny was quite excellent.
Jump to top rantarM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-16-2011, 04:19:32 AM   #17
MJMM3

United States

40K miles on my DCT-no probs. This includes 3-4 trackdays. I drove an 335i first and left disappointed. On the way out I saw a M3. Took a drive. Wow, where do I sign!
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-16-2011, 08:07:12 PM   #18
M3cardenal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMM3 View Post
40K miles on my DCT-no probs. This includes 3-4 trackdays. I drove an 335i first and left disappointed. On the way out I saw a M3. Took a drive. Wow, where do I sign!
What year was the 335?
I have been driving a 2011 loaner for about a week (nice, but not even close).
I was a little nervouse about the new power numbers from the updated engine. I thought I was going to regret the extra $$$$ for the M3. Its an apple and an orange.
Jump to top M3cardenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-18-2011, 04:02:36 AM   #19
MJMM3

United States

Both were '08's. So I bought the '08 M3. The 335 was no slouch-it felt like the Evo VIII I owned for a while. But the M3 was a huge step up.
Jump to top MJMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-21-2014, 12:26:15 AM   #20
marinm3

United States

Hi All,

Has anyone actually had this happen to them as well? It happened to me and I would love to know if it was the clutch or the whole transmission. My SA can not give me an answer.

Thanks!
Jump to top marinm3 is offline   Reply With Quote