BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 03:29:45 PM   #1
Dalves

In the garage:

United States

Default Smg to 6mt??? Hurt or increase?

Whats going on guys, do you think changing a smg to 6mt hurt or increase the value of our cars?
Jump to top Dalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 03:57:11 PM   #2
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Smg to 6mt??? Hurt or increase?

To a collector it probably hurts the value, so if you have a super low mileage SMG and are concerned with resale, I wouldn't do a swap.

But for a car that is going to be used as a driver, the market would probably appreciate a well-done 6MT swap over an SMG, slight value increase although it won't be worth as much as an equivalent car that came with 6MT from the factory.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 04:47:23 PM   #3
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

6 speeds are more desirable. However original is also more desirable. Lots of people don’t want a car that has undergone major surgery like that. Especially if it wasn’t done by a very credible shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 06:13:43 PM   #4
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Honestly, who cares unless you've a super low mile/high value example?

Just swap it and have fun.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 07:01:35 PM   #5
Paulo M

United States

Unless you have a low mileage mint condition smg m3 with desireable color combo then it shouldn’t matter much. There’s just too many legit desireable, original spec, 6spd m3’s out there for real collectors to choose from where they won’t be your potential buyers anyway regardless if you swap or not.
Old Wed, Jan-31-2018, 08:09:44 PM   #6
lmtfi

United States

It will be harder to sell. Most people don't want a car that has been through a major surgery - regardless of the improvement.
Old Sat, Feb-03-2018, 11:43:47 PM   #7
Ninohale

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
It will be harder to sell. Most people don't want a car that has been through a major surgery - regardless of the improvement.
I would disagree... Its all contingent on the buyer.

If you have documentation and the swap was done correctly it is highly more desireable to the enthusiast who understands the situation.

To the general population they dont know the difference and while you may disclose the swap all things point to a headache free gearbox.

I would safely say that maybe 25% at a max actually get it, the rest dont GAF.

The only upside to SMG is the vast majority of people can no longer operate a third pedal car and SMG is a lot easier to drive from a beginer standpoint.

If its already healthy as SMG leave it, sell it as is. No point in putting $2-3k into it to recoup at most $2k. Time is money.
Jump to top Ninohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-03-2018, 11:52:46 PM   #8
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post

Mine was converted. I wouldn’t of bought it if it was an smg. I know I wouldn’t of found mine in factory manual. And the conversion was done by kaiv and it was his personal car.
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 12:21:16 AM   #9
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninohale View Post
I would disagree... Its all contingent on the buyer.

If you have documentation and the swap was done correctly it is highly more desireable to the enthusiast who understands the situation.

To the general population they dont know the difference and while you may disclose the swap all things point to a headache free gearbox.

I would safely say that maybe 25% at a max actually get it, the rest dont GAF.

The only upside to SMG is the vast majority of people can no longer operate a third pedal car and SMG is a lot easier to drive from a beginer standpoint.

If its already healthy as SMG leave it, sell it as is. No point in putting $2-3k into it to recoup at most $2k. Time is money.
It’s pretty common knowledge that converting anything major on a car is a big deal. Your pool of buyers just go way down.

Say You finally save $100k to buy your dream used gallardo. Would you buy the Rwd converted one with manual swap done by a reputable forum member? Or buy one in similar condition that’s all original for same price?

Same deal goes with e46’s (but worse bcs there’s many to choose from)..except primary buyers are broke cheapsters so you know they’ll be extra stingy. Enthusiasts with $ will pay the extra fee for an all original car. If you are doing the swap do it for the enhanced driving experience not resale.

Last edited by Paulo M; Sun, Feb-04-2018 at 12:32:31 AM.
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 12:44:17 AM   #10
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
It’s pretty common knowledge that converting anything major on a car is a big deal. Your pool of buyers just go way down.

Say You finally save $100k to buy your dream used gallardo. Would you buy the Rwd converted one with manual swap done by a reputable forum member? Or buy one in similar condition that’s all original for same price?

Same deal goes with e46’s (but worse bcs there’s many to choose from)..except primary buyers are broke cheapsters so you know they’ll be extra stingy. Enthusiasts with $ will pay the extra fee for an all original car. If you are doing the swap do it for the enhanced driving experience not resale.
Seriously, these cars aren't lambos... And I think calling it major surgery is a stretch. It's not much worse than any of the normal maintenance an SMG may require.

There are certainly people who won't buy a swapped car. There are also people who would never buy a SMG car. I don't know which group is larger. I don't think it's worth doing for the sake of resale, but I think there are enough people willing to pay for a swapped car that it's worth doing if you're tired of SMG.