BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Cars for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Cars for Sale/Wanted Place to list your private cars for sale. ONLY BMW's.

Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 03:48:01 AM   #21
m3Boston

United States

Default Re: 2003 M3 LSB Slicktop 6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura_328Ci View Post
BUYER BEWARE!

I went to look at this car in person on Monday, and I was seriously disappointed. The car is in really rough shape and appears to have been beaten on and seriously neglected over the past 3 years by a college kid (and apparently smoked inside of regularly - the M-cloth interior reeks of cigarillos ). Really a bummer because it is such a rare car and could have so much potential. I normally wouldn't publicly post a negative review like this, but I feel the seller is being dishonest and shady; I don't want to see any other enthusiasts taken for a ride with this one.

Below are all of the issues I can remember off the top of my head. Since I wasn't able to put the car on a lift, there could be even more problems that I didn't notice. I also have the full CarFax available, should anyone be interested.

Damage from accident:
- Car was involved in a recent front end collision (minor), and it has not been repaired fully nor properly.
- Hood struggles to open/close due to collision.
- Front bumper is sagging and damaged from the accident. It needs to be repaired and repainted.
- Both corner light fixtures appear to have popped out and no longer sit flush with the fender. The gaps are really bad, and the fixtures are held in place with zip-ties.
- Kidney grilles fall out and have had screws tapped into them to hold them in place (terrible way to "fix" the problem; makes you wonder what other shortcuts were taken when making other "repairs").
- Plastic air dam in front of the radiator is damaged and has loose pieces hanging from it.
- Damage to various brackets and shields behind/beneath the front bumper.
- Missing large plastic splash guard beneath the engine.
- OEM strut brace is broken; the passenger mounting bracket snapped. I asked if this occurred as a result of a collision or jumping a curb, but the seller claimed neither instances occurred and that he just noticed it one day (I don't see what else could've caused that to happen, as those breaks are typically due to jumping a curb or hitting an enormous pothole at high speed).
- Metal undertray/belly pan is all mangled and chewed up on the front corner of the passenger side (which pretty much confirms my theory that the car hopped a curb and sustained significant trauma to the passenger front strut tower).
- Passenger strut tower shows damage in the spot that would've been beneath the OEM strut bar mounting bracket when it cracked; the paint is gouged down to the bare metal.

Leaks:
- Engine leaking a significant amount of oil. The underside of the block is covered and dripping in oil. The power steering reservoir and lines are coated in oil as well.
- Valve cover gasket has RTV sealant between the gasket and the head, all the way around (as opposed to the proper method of applying it only at the rounded corners and seams), but it is not leaking.
- Rear differential is leaking A LOT of fluid that appears to be coming from the front of the diff. It is all over the place and dripping, with big globs forming in spots.
- I noticed globs of RTV sealant around the drain plug on the diff (perhaps a sign that this car has been dealing with a stubborn leak for a while?).

Interior:
- The whole interior is pretty much beat to hell and smells like cigarillo smoke. Too much to get into all the details, but it's certain certainly not the clean set of M-cloth seats and door panels that one would hope for.
- Rearview mirror leaked and damaged the shifter trim. Neither pieces have been replaced.
- Passenger rear window motor doesn't work.
- Locking "tab" doesn't pop up through the hole in the top of the passenger door panel; must be stuck behind the door panel somewhere or broken off.
- Portions of the airbag warning stickers are torn off the sun visors with strips and pieces still remaining.
- A, B, and C pillars have peeling or missing fabric and all need to be replaced.
- The tint is an absolute mess; ripped, peeling, and glue residue everywhere.
- Aftermarket stereo has been installed to replace the OEM CD player.
- Some sort of control switch/dial has been mounted below the steering wheel, near the driver's knee, which is supposedly wired to control the volume of aftermarket subwoofers, should they be installed in the trunk.

Exterior:
- Lots of little dents and dings; I didn't keep track of how many and their locations, but I would say there must be close to a dozen on the car (with 3 or 4 on the trunk alone).
- Passenger mirror is deeply scraped and gouged, and the marks have been painted over but not filled or smoothed.
- Strange ~2" mark on the driver rear quarter panel behind the rear window. The paint is discolored and has a flat finish in this spot.
- A few large scratches on the side of the car (~4"+).
- Various small scratches, chips, etc.
- Lower rear window molding dry-rotting on both sides.
- Rear bumper sags.
- Passenger door makes a rattling sound when you close it.

Driving:
- Tire pressure light appears, even shortly after resetting it (perhaps due to issues with the diff?).
- Brakes need to be replaced (light is on dash).
- Suspension feels loose with noticeable body roll (not sure if it's due to the H&R springs, or if there are other issues as well).
- Lots of weird feelings/vibrations coming from the rear while driving (due to the leaking diff, perhaps?).

Important info:
- VANOS solenoid recently failed and was replaced, but a full Beisan VANOS overhaul was not performed.
- Seller believes one of the previous owners replaced the rod bearings, but can't confirm. Definitely no new bearings after 100k.
- Seller claims subframe is still fully intact (I couldn't get a good look to confirm), but has not been reinforced.
- Seller had two valve adjustments done during his 3 year/25k mile ownership (which is probably the only good thing about this car ).

As you can imagine, I was super excited to find an LSB slicktop local to me when this popped up; I was hoping to purchase it to replace my ZHP as my daily driver. I contacted the seller and agreed to submit a deposit to secure first dibs on the car (after he already raised the price $1,000 higher than what we had agreed upon earlier that day). I went to see the car in person a few days later and was incredibly disappointed by its condition. I told the seller I would have to think about it, and two days later I contacted him to tell him I would only consider purchasing it for several thousand less than his asking price. He declined, stating he is going to trade it for a 135i instead. I figured it was probably better to let the car go, so I asked if he could kindly refund my deposit. The seller refused. Not only is he not giving me back the deposit, but he was clearly making deals with other people while I still had a deposit on the car. That's a major red flag to me, so I feel any prospective buyers should be warned before they find themselves in a similar situation.
@ventura_328Ci the sellers refusal to return your deposit is b.s. for several reasons.

1 - It's illegal to take a non-refundable deposit on a car. Ask any dealer that's tried to keep a deposit. The attorney general for your state can be brought in really fast.

2 - It's just not cool. As like-minded enthusiasts, there has to be some sort of inherent code that says people sometimes back out of deals. Sounds like you had plenty of reasons to back out.

For what it's worth, I'd consider filing a small claim against the seller. You can file in your state (CT) and he would have to answer from PA. Chances are he would not show up and the clerk/judge would award a default judgement against him.

The next time he was in CT, he'd have a nice surprise waiting for him if he was pulled over. At the very least, the filing might knock some sense in to him.
Jump to top m3Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 04:53:18 AM   #22
solelybmw

In the garage:

United States

I finally got a hold of this stoner kid selling the LSB. After talking to him for a minute, that's exactly what he is. I would never buy a car from someone like him. He is deceitful and a liar. A guy like him shouldn't even be on the forum. I do give him credit for great pics. But I could tell that it was hit hard up front. Feel bad for the guy that actually gave him a deposit. To bad an LSB landed up in his hands and he just neglected what was once a fine m3.
Jump to top solelybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 12:10:16 PM   #23
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Yikes. What a nightmare. Moderators should maybe step in...
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:19:36 PM   #24
warpig12354

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaul View Post
This guy was expecting a $19,000 perfect unicorn. I told him it showed its age. He is upset that it was too good to be true. It has its issues, but that guy made it sound so much worse than it actually is.
You seemed to think it was a "unicorn" here...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=547258
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:43:35 PM   #25
02M3forMe

Dude, return his deposit.
Jump to top 02M3forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:43:42 PM   #26
G3ARHE4D

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpig12354 View Post
You seemed to think it was a "unicorn" here...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=547258

Jump to top G3ARHE4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 06:36:12 PM   #27
solelybmw

In the garage:

United States

Return his deposit
Jump to top solelybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 03:33:37 AM   #28
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3Boston View Post
@ventura_328Ci the sellers refusal to return your deposit is b.s. for several reasons.

1 - It's illegal to take a non-refundable deposit on a car. Ask any dealer that's tried to keep a deposit. The attorney general for your state can be brought in really fast.
THIS X a MILLION.

You cannot keep a deposit. It doesn't matter what your interpretation of a deposit is. The only time a seller can win this in court is if holding the deposit resulted in diminished value from time elapsed and no completion (ie; over the course of months/years waiting for full payment the item lost x amount of dollars in value). This is not the case here and no agreement to buy was made. (this is a very basic explanation, something Bill Handle has covered many times on his radio show. Someone more knowledgeable will surely elaborate more)
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 06:34:42 AM   #29
SeattleLSB

United States

Ventura328 aka Colin bought my slick top M3 several years ago without any issues. He's a stand up guy and would have paid if it was described as told.

Colin just dispute the charge on your credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote