BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 04:58:16 AM   #21
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Broken Vanos Tab

It's possible to have both tabs broken and the engine still runs properly. This happened to ronin1k. Here is his thread.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 01:09:15 PM   #22
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
Do it now while it's still pretty much new.

DIY maybe 200 and up depending on what you are replacing and what tools you already have. Pump disk is like $150 and bolts maybe $20 (I don't remember how much I paid for them exactly but it's not much), which is the bare minimum you must do. I opted to do the whole rattle procedure so that was an additional maybe $150 for the seals and specialized tool and $120 for diaphragm springs. And an alignment bridge which runs about $120.

If you want to do the TT hub that's like $700 additional but your VANOS is newish so you probably don't need that.
I'm not very mechanically savvy. So I would pay someone to do it for me. But it sounds like there's two methods to bullet proofing. One is replacing the entire unit from a source like Beisan or Dr Vanos. The other is to replace the parts in the current Vanos that is prone to failure if your Vanos is in good shape. Is this correct?

What should I expect to pay for either options if I were to pay an Indy to do it?
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 03:23:24 PM   #23
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
I'm not very mechanically savvy. So I would pay someone to do it for me. But it sounds like there's two methods to bullet proofing. One is replacing the entire unit from a source like Beisan or Dr Vanos. The other is to replace the parts in the current Vanos that is prone to failure if your Vanos is in good shape. Is this correct?

What should I expect to pay for either options if I were to pay an Indy to do it?
Pretty much but the "key" to bulletproofing is the get a redrilled disk (smaller tab holes). You can buy a new unit from BMW for $2k or whatever and will have done nothing to prevent future failure.

The problem is that the tabs on the exhaust hub break. That's what needs to be solved. This is solved by a modified disk. There are other failure points, sure, but only this one can be catastrophic.

Does that make sense?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 03:34:39 PM   #24
SeattleLSB

United States

When it doubt, lock it down!
Jump to top SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 04:20:13 PM   #25
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyChitMeng View Post
Oh man that's scary, I have 80k miles, unsure if its on the original hub or not. Now I really want to check.
I did mine at 98K and everything was fine, ran fine but my chain guide was broken. I did all the Beisan upgrades and the Lang Racing hub bolts. The car ran so much better afterwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3vos View Post
I need to inspect mine, but I wanted to know, if your tabs are intact, is all you need to do the Besian VANOS rebuild? If the stock exhaust cam tabs are there, is it safe to leave that alone?
Yes unless you want to go with the TurboToy hub and spend $800. You could have the stock cryo'd for $50 if it's ok. This makes it really strong.

I have a video of the difference between the stock oil disk and the Beisan redialed disk to show the issue why the tabs break. I will post it on YouTube and link it here.

Take a look at the "S54 Vanos Thread" in my SIG.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Sun, Feb-12-2017 at 04:49:08 PM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 04:32:38 PM   #26
bavarian track

In the garage:

United States

I had a broken tab and noticed no power loss. I replaced with turbotoy v3 in hopes of never worrying about it in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vorschlag Camber Plates
AKG Front Subframe Reinforcement, Stage II Shifter w/ DSSR, 75D Motor Mounts, e21 Trans Mounts, 90A FCAB, 90A Subframe bushings, 95A Differential bushings
OE RTAB w/ limiters
Redish Rear Subframe Reinforcement
ECS Adjustable Rear Control Arms
APEX Arc 8 18x9.5 et35 Hyper Black
Continental DW 265/35/18

04 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L/5sp

Past: 93 VW Corrado SLC, 02 MINI Cooper S, 06 Subaru STI, 95 Alpine White ///M3
Jump to top bavarian track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 06:18:59 PM   #27
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian track View Post
I had a broken tab and noticed no power loss. I replaced with turbotoy v3 in hopes of never worrying about it in the future.

Yeah. You only need 1 tab to spin vanos oil pump so you won't notice until both tabs break

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 06:32:39 PM   #28
HolyChitMeng
Alpine White Hoarder

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
This thread and the other (Vanos or not to Vanos) is making me super paranoid. Mines is at 136K miles. But the entire Vanos unit was replaced 23,000 miles ago. But you guys make it sound like it can implode anytime. I'll eventually want to bullet proof the VANOS. But how urgent is this preventative ticket item?

How much should one spend on this?
Same, looks like 2017 is gonna be an expensive year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
A separate but related question, there is no way to tell how fatigued the tabs are, is there? What I mean is the tabs themselves might not show cracking but they may be on the borderline of shearing even with a reseller disk?
Yup, theres no way to tell i'm assumming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
It's possible to have both tabs broken and the engine still runs properly. This happened to ronin1k. Here is his thread.
That's quite scary. During my next oil change I plan on checking it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
I did mine at 98K and everything was fine, ran fine but my chain guide was broken. I did all the Beisan upgrades and the Lang Racing hub bolts. The car ran so much better afterwards!

Yes unless you want to go with the TurboToy hub and spend $800. You could have the stock cryo'd for $50 if it's ok. This makes it really strong.

I have a video of the difference between the stock oil disk and the Beisan redialed disk to show the issue why the tabs break. I will post it on YouTube and link it here.

Take a look at the "S54 Vanos Thread" in my SIG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBNtYqHA74o
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian track View Post

Would you guys recommend the Turbotoy hub? Over the beisan hub and Dr. Vanos?

AW/BLK 09' 6MT ///M3: ESS VT2-650, BBS LM, Stoptech Trophy, Evolve, Full Supersprint Race, KW Sleeve Kit
TIAG/IR 04' 6MT ///M3: BBS CH, Eibach Pro-Street-S, Full SS Race, Eventuri, Evolve, AS 30% SSK, OE CSL Bootlid
AW/BLK 95' ///M3: 16k miles, LTW Strut Brace

Last edited by HolyChitMeng; Sun, Feb-12-2017 at 06:36:09 PM.
Jump to top HolyChitMeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 07:35:07 PM   #29
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default Broken Vanos Tab

Beisan doesn't have a exhaust hub and I believe Dr. Vanos has Cryo'd stock hubs. So if yours is intact get the complete Beisan Systems upgrades and the re drilled pump disk.

Here's the exhaust hub options:

1) Reuse stock Hub-$0
2) Cryo stock Hub-$50
3) Turbo Toy Hub-$800

Take a look and get yourself familiar with the Vanos system and upgrades.

http://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?shar...7&share_type=t

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 07:49:06 PM   #30
HolyChitMeng
Alpine White Hoarder

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Beisan doesn't have a exhaust hub and I believe Dr. Vanos has Cryo'd stock hubs. So if yours is intact get the complete Beisan Systems upgrades and the re drilled pump disk.

Here's the exhaust hub options:

1) Reuse stock Hub-$0
2) Cryo stock Hub-$50
3) Turbo Toy Hub-$800

Take a look and get yourself familiar with the Vanos system and upgrades.

http://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?shar...7&share_type=t
Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna do the Turbo Toy Hub, and do the Beisan Oil Pump disk if all goes well. I believe my solenoid was just recently replaced by the PO but i'm gonna do it anyway.

AW/BLK 09' 6MT ///M3: ESS VT2-650, BBS LM, Stoptech Trophy, Evolve, Full Supersprint Race, KW Sleeve Kit
TIAG/IR 04' 6MT ///M3: BBS CH, Eibach Pro-Street-S, Full SS Race, Eventuri, Evolve, AS 30% SSK, OE CSL Bootlid
AW/BLK 95' ///M3: 16k miles, LTW Strut Brace
Jump to top HolyChitMeng is offline   Reply With Quote