BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 01:54:57 AM   #1
shev123

Australia

Exclamation HELP: e36 m3 3.2 driveline "Clink" noise

Hi,
I have a 96 M3 e36 3.2 evo.It has a strange noise coming from my driveline. If the car is at a standstill and you slowly release the clutch in 1st, the driveline loads up and a "clink" noise occurs. If I roll to a standstill and release the clutch again, no noise. If I put it in reverse and release the clutch, same noise. You can repeat this over and over again, making the same noise every time.
The noise happens when you change direction from forward to reverse.

The noise sounds tinny like it is sheetmetal. Or something loose.
Definitely coming from the rear of the car.

Any ideas? U-joints? Diff mounts? CV's, bushes?

Thanks
Jump to top shev123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 02:53:36 AM   #2
Magic M3

United States

Default Re: HELP: e36 m3 3.2 driveline "Clink" noise

My 95 does the same thing. I have heard people say that it is the driveshaft making the noise, something about the inner and outer tubes of the ds? I am fairly certain that the noise is actually coming from the diff itself. I just pulled mine out to swap the ring and pinion. With the diff sitting on the bench, I turned the input flange and very faintly heard a noise. I think that the pinion bearings are wearing out and the loading and unloading of the drivetrain is making the noise. The driveshaft amplifies the noise. I plan on confirming this as soon as I swap the r&p and it's bearings, I will report back with a confirmation weather the noise is gone.

Pete

"What, that?....Oh, it's Stock....ish!"
Jump to top Magic M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 03:23:05 AM   #3
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Mine does the same thing. They pretty much all do. I've been trying to track it down for years. My feeling was that it's coming from the transmission. Who knows. I drive the **** out of the car, and it hasn't gotten any worse.

FWIW, I swapped my diff out this summer and it didn't make any difference. I installed a used diff, and had a machine shop swap the flanges over, set the backlash, and check everything out. There was VERY little play in the diff gearing. My transmission seems to have a little play when I rotate the output shaft flange.

It's tough to isolate sounds like this, as they tend to travel through the hollow drive shaft and reverberate everywhere. I was absolutely convinced my noise was coming from the rear end, but it persisted through an entire rear end overhaul.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 03:25:33 AM   #4
shev123

Australia

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.(Magic M3)

It's got me beat, I thought i might be the CV joints in the rear axle's.
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 03:26:09 AM   #5
nucci

United States

If it is a higher pitched "clink" or "tink" noise, there is a strong chance it could be your front diff bolt. Mine did exactly what you said and one time I was under the car, I realized that I could tighten the front diff bolt by at least 1/4 turn. What this means is that it has bent already, and the "clink" is the bushing re-seating itself on the front of the diff carrier. It will have an "accel" position and a "braking" position. The super temporary fix is to tighten the diff bolt. The next semi-permanent fix is to go source a new bolt, either from BMW or a local metric bolt house (the length and thread pitch are available from ETK or RealOEM). The full fix involves removing the diff, extracting the old front diff bushing, and installing a new one.

This can be done without any further disassembly but is still a fairly involved task. I replaced my bolt and bushing and the problem and noise was 100% fixed - though I still launch and powershift the car so I suspect I'll be doing it again...

If the noise is a heavier "clink" or "clunk" that feels like there is some weight behind it, you should know that a higher mileage car with a standard transmission and a RWD diff often has a certain amount of drivetrain lash (or free-play) and the noise can simply be the lash being taken up in forward or reverse. Some amount of drivetrain lash and associated noise is par for the course in an older car and should not be an issue.

I hope this can be of some help. My car has a whiny diff (50-65mph) and some drivetrain lash but at least it doesn't go "tink" in 1st or reverse anymore!

edit - reread what I just wrote and need to add: The new bushing is the critical fix. As soon as the bolt bends the first time, the surface of the bushing which faces the diff becomes deformed, so that the bolt will never stay tight again (even a new one). Replacing the bolt and leaving the deformed bushing in place will temporarily but not permanently fix the problem. The metal "crush sleeve" portion of the bushing is what becomes deformed, not the rubber. It is almost impossible to see while under the car, and completely impossible with the diff still installed.

Last edited by nucci; Fri, Jan-21-2011 at 04:08:11 AM. Reason: added last part about bushing
Jump to top nucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 03:51:08 AM   #6
ccaarmerciill
Talk Story

United States

My car has these same exact symptoms. I thought it was the actual diff starting to go out, but I'll check my diff bolt. If it's loose at all, looks like I need to replace the bolt/ bushing.

I'll report back as well if that solves it.

And if it does... good news for me!!!

Last edited by ccaarmerciill; Fri, Jan-21-2011 at 09:52:53 AM.
Jump to top ccaarmerciill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 04:11:40 AM   #7
shev123

Australia

From this picture.Do you mean it is No.4 that need to be tightened and No.8 that needs to be replaced? (nucci)

Thanks for all the advice
Attached Images
File Type: png 10.png (9.5 KB, 27 views)
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 04:22:56 AM   #8
nucci

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shev123 View Post
From this picture.Do you mean it is No.4 that need to be tightened and No.8 that needs to be replaced?
Go to Rear Axle in ETK. Parts 4 and 17.

Jump to top nucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 04:39:21 AM   #9
shev123

Australia

Thanks alot (nucci). I will look into it soon.
Let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old Fri, Jan-21-2011, 05:47:01 AM   #10
cracky
Next level beats

Canada

thankfully my car doesn't clink..definitely has some clunk but its normal drivetrain lash
I have a solid front carrier bushing though(delrin)...