BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Nov-10-2010, 04:43:51 AM   #131
kerph32
Unregistered user

United States

I drove E36 328's of different varieties for 4 years and decided it was worth the $4k to upgrade, and never looked back. Now at 170k miles I'm starting to look in the direction of a 335d for a daily and hold onto the M as a weekender... the stickshift can only be tolerated for so long in Atlanta traffic!

DIY: Washer Fluid
Jump to top kerph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-10-2010, 05:58:17 AM   #132
_XeRo_
Enthusiast

United States

Default Love Story (Extended Version)

Over 6 years ago, I was only 15 years old and was on the cusp of getting my drivers permit. I was always a very driven individual with a very entrepreneurial mindset, and at the time I had my own lawn service which brought in a lot of money for a 15 year old. But, I was about to be 16 and I needed more money to satisfy my passion for cars; In particular, satisfy my craving for my first which I wanted to be a nice one. So, I landed a job at a country club and decided to work full time. I would go to school, come home for an hour and then head to work. Awesome! The lawn service is seasonal, but now I have a year-round job thats provides consistent paychecks... I turned sixteen!

Now we're talkin, I can frickin' drive an automobile! I couldn't wait for this day to come. My dad had given me a 1992 325i which he had been driving at the time. Needless to say it could have used a little TLC, but the car was in good shape and turned heads (e36 timeless body style ). What I loved most about it was the uhhh driving experience. It was just a fun and easy car to drive. And the exhaust tone, wow this car sounds sick. I had a lot of fun with that e36 325i for about 3 months. It was time though...

I was debating what I wanted to buy, and I had always tossed up the idea between about 3 cars (won't mention), but I always reverted back to the e36 M3. There was something about it... I was afraid to give up the driving experience the 325i gave me, and I loved BMW...let alone the M division. Buttt it was an M3 and it would probably be a challenge to ask the parents if I could buy one of these. Never give up on your dreams! I was frickin' relentless; I was told numerous times by my mom that it was too expensive, or too powerful, or whatever. But I didn't care... I kept scanning the web everyday looking for the right one. It was as if it was going to happen regardless of what I was told. So. One day I print out this listing, run downstairs and show my dad! "Isn't it great! Isn't it great!" ... "Yes son, that's a real nice car." ... "Mom look at this!" ..."Johnny, I don't know how many times I have to tell you." Still, in my head I insist that I will have this car...

Lady's and Gentleman...if you drill for oil 99% of the way, you get nothing. It's the last 1% that starts the gusher.

It was one of the most unforgettable weeks of my life. Suddenly, my dad was taking me to look at this M. I loved it!! Everything about it!! And, I told my mom everything I thought she needed to hear Next thing I know, my mom is taking me to the bank to get me a loan for the amount I needed over what I had saved!! (I wasn't 18) CraZineSS I set up my direct deposit from my paychecks to the bank, and next thing I know...I'm holding the check; it was surreal. And the day came true, that I would own an e36 M3.

It is hard to put into words how much this car means to me. Also, why reading stories like everyone else's in this thread actually made me get so happy, that I decided to write this short story. Because I feel the same way today about this car, as I did when I bought it at 16. In the past five years, I have never considered purchasing another vehicle. And every damn time I get in this car, the feeling never changes. I get butterflies...for real, anyone else? The looks this car still gets today is unbelievable. The driving experience never dulls. The shear pleasure, forever. I recently got the opportunity to go on an exotics cruise with my buddy. We were beaming down these country roads with Lambo's, Ferrari's, etc. His in particular was a Superlaggera (Amazing day). But at the end of the day, I was still getting in my e36... with seemingly no thoughts as to...damn I need to upgrade. LoL
Anyways, over 5 years later...and just breaking 60,000 miles with her...I couldn't be happier. Wait, I just put coil-overs on...and I am quite possibly liking the car more, and it is kinda another beast...so I may be doomed to at least another 5 years of love with this car. /end story

e36 M3 FTW
Old Fri, Feb-25-2011, 05:09:18 PM   #133
pyite69

United States

Default Re: When did you first know you wanted an E36 M3?

> what it is that made you decide to get an E36 M3?

I was in high school when the original M3/M5/M6 came out (mid 80's); and I cut out some nice photos of the "BMW M Power" logo on the engine to paste up on the walls in my room. I always wanted one; and about a year ago I finally found a nice one to buy that wasn't too expensive.

E36 M3's are a great bargain if you get one that was taken care of.

Mark
Jump to top pyite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-25-2011, 08:53:55 PM   #134
Langley

United States

Blah blah blah

A kid at school had a cool Dakar one. I looked them up and said, Sure, why not. Should have researched them more but its a good balance for a car. Not killer expensive. Easy to work on. Decent power. Good amount of after market for them. Looks good. If I had to do it again I'd get a nicer example and wait for the market to bottom out before searching but I love (and hate) my car.
Jump to top Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-25-2011, 09:11:25 PM   #135
ccaarmerciill
Talk Story

United States

When I was 16 my first car that I bought was a Porsche 944 for $1,000 that I had saved working as a bus boy at a nice Italian resteraunt (Tip $)

That car needed a lot of work, it sat in my garage that entire winter while I tinkered with it to bring it back to life. New tires, battery, window regulators, fluid flushes, new front bumper, radio etc. It was taking a little longer than expected to bring it back, I had another $1,000 saved up, and decided to buy a winter "Beater" while I tinkered with the Porsche.

One cold Winter night I checked out a 1989 325i that was in need of some work itself, but was road ready. Ran good, clutch felt good, and the tires weren't flat. Was listed for $1,200... I talked the old man down to $600. I drove the piss out of that E30 all winter, learned how to drive stick on it, drove through snow everyday with 4 bald tires so bad the metal spikes were starting to show through the rubber on most. I learned RWD charactoristics VERY quickly. Loved the car to death, instantly turned me into a BMW fan.

Fuel Pump went the same week in late Winter that my Porsche was just about ready. I gave away the busted up E30 to a friend, and drove the 944 for the rest of the year. That 944 just added to my new love for German cars, definitely turned me into a gearhead... and tought myself how to work on cars. I left for bootcamp at 18, sold the 944.

At my first unit (San Diego) I scoured the classifieds for a car. I had a few grand saved for a car, got my first loan ever to cover the rest. The first car I checked, out, first car I test drove was a 95 Avus/ Black manual M3 coupe. Car was in great shape, and I got it from the guy for $10k flat. To me this was the first real "Quick" car, I was still young and the car felt ferrari fast (to me at the time), and I was in love with every part of it.

Unfortunatly that car was rear ended in Pacific Beach, and since then I've been back and fourth with cars... another 944 (except my recent one was MINT with only 45k miles) an E46 M3 (2001 Steel Grey), a crappy E34 5 series, and a 95 Mustang 5.0.

I just recently got back into the E36 M3 scene. I grabbed this one as a fixer upper, since I preferred not to have a big loan looming over my head like I did with the E46. I'd rather own a car outright... and even when I had my E46 I missed my E36. Just a bit more raw, and more bang for the buck IMO. So now here I am restoring an E36 M3, and bringing it back from the dead like I did with that first 944.

I will definitely own more M3's, and 944's in the future...
Old Fri, Feb-25-2011, 11:31:59 PM   #136
bigneil

In June 1997 I observed the smooth dyno-graph of the M3. Back then most cars (such as my '92 Taurus SHO) had a dip of some sort where the turbo, etc. kicked in.
Jump to top bigneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-26-2011, 12:12:18 AM   #137
WICSTA
Driving the sanity mobile

United States

The first 30 seconds I drove one.
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 03:35:04 AM   #138
SIDEWAYS
is the way to carve canyons...

In the garage:

United States

I think this thread is long overdue for a bump.~

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

What's worse is that the E36 M3 has sadly become the new Honda Civic of tuning...
Jump to top SIDEWAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 03:52:51 AM   #139
westopher

Canada

I'm into this.
Mine would have been reading the European Car articles about the ALPINE e36 m3 show car.
MVR wheels, arctic silver, and so incredibly tacky in the interior. So cool at the time though.
Also reading any of the articles that had Dakar or Techno press cars.
I fully made the decision I needed to own one after sitting beside one at a stoplight in 02, when I had my first car. I was in my e30 and right next to me was a perfect silver e36, with DS2s. The guy looked over and told me I had a nice car. I pretty much just sat there jaw dropped over his car. I asked him to floor it and he took off leaving my unbelievably slow 325 in the dust. I needed one after that. Nothing really popped up when I was looking so it took about 10 years before I decided that it was going to be the next car I got no matter what. After I sold my Mk5 Gti it took me only a couple weeks to find the car I have now.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-02-2017, 04:14:51 AM   #140
Radmobile

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm into this.
Mine would have been reading the European Car articles about the ALPINE e36 m3 show car.
MVR wheels, arctic silver, and so incredibly tacky in the interior. So cool at the time though.
Also reading any of the articles that had Dakar or Techno press cars.
I fully made the decision I needed to own one after sitting beside one at a stoplight in 02, when I had my first car. I was in my e30 and right next to me was a perfect silver e36, with DS2s. The guy looked over and told me I had a nice car. I pretty much just sat there jaw dropped over his car. I asked him to floor it and he took off leaving my unbelievably slow 325 in the dust. I needed one after that. Nothing really popped up when I was looking so it took about 10 years before I decided that it was going to be the next car I got no matter what. After I sold my Mk5 Gti it took me only a couple weeks to find the car I have now.
Cool story, Chris.

My story?

In 1996 I had a middle school Spanish teacher whose boyfriend bought her a new dakar yellow M3. Even at that time, everyone knew the M3 was no joke and was incredibly fast and handled well at the time. I remember everyone thinking, 'holy shit, our teacher just received an M3 as a gift!!!'

I had forgot about the car, but remember the e46 M3 coming out in high school and recalling how insane that car was. 100hp per liter, controversial styling, but even more wild than the e36 M3. However even then the e36 and e46 seemed unattainable. Besides, throughout HS and college I was much more into racing motocross and performing in metal bands so I lost touch with anything that had four wheels that weren't lifted trucks or Jeeps.

Fast forward to 2011. A family member sold his e34 525i stroker for a '97 cosmos M3. He showed up to a family barbeque and I recall saying, "what in the Hell is this?!?!" I had totally forgot about the e36, vader seats, and how well they handled. I was enamored, especially after finally sitting it one and going for a ride for the first time.

On a whim I ended up deciding, 'Screw it, I'm tired of driving trucks on the street since I don't ride dirt bikes like I used to. I'm buying an M3!'

So I sold my truck and I purchased an M3 roughly a month later - my current '99 titanium silver M3, and have happily owned it for nearly 6 years and 60,000 miles.

Ironic I just saw this thread because I just picked up my latest BMW and will be selling my 'first love' e36 M3 shortly.

Follow Me: Instragram
Follow Me: Flickr
2014 BMW 435i M-sport (alpine white/black)
2014 BMW 228i (alpine white/black/slicktop)
1999 BMW M3 (titanium silver/dove) - Sold
Jump to top Radmobile is offline   Reply With Quote