BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 03:29:47 AM   #1
UFoh

United States

Default Oil Catch Can Help

Hello, I swear my oil is getting dirty really fast(moreso than it used to) and I'm gonna start with an oil catch can before I do anything involved like a oil filter housing gasket. So I like the idea of an oil catch can, but I don't understand why they are always setup the way they are with a hose going from the catch can back to the intake. Wouldn't I eliminate all the blow by by simply plugging up the hole going into the intake? Would that cause any issues? Should I put a filter at the end of a hose going to the intake?()

Thanks for the insight, I don't know why such a simple question is confusing me so much lol. I guess I could always just go start my car and plug the hole myself.
Jump to top UFoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 04:05:52 AM   #2
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: Oil Catch Can Help

I'm not sure which side you are talking about plugging but if you plug the rocker cover side then it will eventually over pressure with blow-by and blow out the rocker cover seal so it can breath... so it needs to be vented either to atmosphere or back to the intake which is obviously what BMW did...

If you run a catch can which vents to atmosphere then you can plug the intake side yes...

I don't know what your oil dirty issues are but have you had any oil analysis done? you should really get some tests done on the "dirty" oil before you jump at anything as it is probably due to something else.

I don't really see oil catch cans as required on these engines, all running well, I am personally only getting ones to keep the inside of my new CF airbox clean of oil / fuel residue and film... and because i went a bit over the top on my Radium Auto order...

I would be very surprised if you had some kind of oil dirtying issue that was solved by just putting on an oil catch can... well I mean I guess it could be if your piston rings are failing... but then you are really only addressing the symptom instead of the issue...

Anyway I'm not knocking your interest in catch cans, there is heaps of info on this message board if you search, I just suggest you do some oil analysis first and then continue your research... as you have obviously begun with this post

EDIT - Sorry I just re-read your post and saw that you meant plugging the intake side... in answer to your question yes you can do that... you couldn't just put a filter on the hose as oil and fuel will drip out... hence the catch can... its basically a glorified coalescer which makes the fuel/oil/water drip into the an so you can drain later instead of it getting all over your engine bay...

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 04:37:36 AM   #3
UFoh

United States

That's a good call I've been meaning to send my oil off. You actually just made me order a kit from blackstone. But for some reason I'm leaning on either a bad CPV or oil filter housing gasket. I'm 95% sure it's because coolant is getting into the engine somehow. When I changed my oil filter the bottom of the oil filter bolt somehow was contaminated with coolant. Obviously this points to the OFHG but I've read it could possibly be a bad cpv system, so I'ma just do both. I'm having issues with losing oil(but it's not leaking as far as I can tell) so I'm just trying to preventively fix it all so I don't have to think about it anymore.

here's a video of my question from the OP
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 04:45:40 AM   #4
Headlock

Australia

regarding your question (from the video)

you could do that as long as your catch can is venting to the atmosphere. So yeah, if you get a catch can - and instead of running a hose back to the intake manifold, you just chucked a small filter on the 'output' of the catch can - you could definitely plug the manifold hole.

but the thing is, why bother? it's just as easy to run a small length of hose back to the intake manifold and complete the circuit as BMW intended. Your catch can is separating the oil, and returning the air to the intake manifold. It's not like it's particularly messy to run that extra bit of hose. Depending on the regulations where you live, it may be illegal. I know where I live, it is not legal to vent crankcase vapor to the atmosphere.
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 04:58:42 AM   #5
UFoh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlock View Post

but the thing is, why bother?

I was just worried about blow by(for some reason) and like idea of completely eliminating the system. You're right that a catch can would be more than enough, idk why that's not enough for my crazy person brain.

I'm just gonna plug up the hole and see what happens. Worst case scenario it idles weird or I get a code - if so I'll just continue the loop like you said.

thanks for commenting on my dumb post
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 05:10:25 AM   #6
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

If you have milky looking oil, a catch can isnít going to solve your issue. You have a situation where coolant is getting into the oil.

The oil vapors drain into the oil pan through 2 routes. Thereís banjo bolt on the exhaust side of the valve cover, and the hose that goes to the intake. Iíd think about collecting stuff from both of those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 05:17:04 AM   #7
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Hahah makes so much more sense now with your video... Headlock basically covered the response after that.

I'm glad you bought the oil analysis kit, this will be very important to get a better picture of what might be going on.

If you think coolant is getting in your oil then is the oil milky? or is the coolant shimmery? As then it may be more than likely headgasket instead of piston rings and blow-by.

A simple catch can setup can be done pretty cheap... I seen some US guys pull it off with ebay/amazon parts pretty pro for $60-80... otherwise you can just get a ready to go kit with full instruction from Radium Automotive for ~$240... so there is a big range

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 02:21:51 PM   #8
lapoune

United States

How does the S54 respond to VTA? Does it need the vacuum?
Jump to top lapoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 03:14:17 PM   #9
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

I don't think catch can is going to help you. The only thing I drain out of my catch can is fuel. If you're getting coolant you probably have bad head gasket.

In any event you want the catch can routed back to intake to give the fuel vapors somewhere to go plus intake is typical under slight vacuum so it keeps cylinder head at lower pressure .

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 03:20:24 PM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Oil Catch Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I don't think catch can is going to help you. The only thing I drain out of my catch can is fuel. If you're getting coolant you probably have bad head gasket.

In any event you want the catch can routed back to intake to give the fuel vapors somewhere to go plus intake is typical under slight vacuum so it keeps cylinder head at lower pressure .

That is the tried and true setup.

Iíd be interested to see if anyone tried a breather setup.

You still get fuel and crap passing through the catch can which IMO is useless.

My guess is the element inside gets hot so youíre just passing the vapor through and nothing is condensing into liquid.

In my 330, My can would fill up much faster with street driving. At the track, 15 sessions in a weekend and my catch cam was dry. So I ripped that damned thing out. Wasted $150 on the Active Autowerke special which is a rebadged $30 eBay can.

Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote