BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 11:43:34 PM   #1
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

Default SMG Gear Position sensor?

Hi all. I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this. I believe I need a new gear position sensor on my '03 SMG but am not 100% sure. I have a few pics of the readout I did with INPA but I'm new to that, so I just want to make sure I'm looking at it right. I know I have a bad Oil Level sensor, so you can ignore that one. Thanks ahead of time! And sorry for the huge images...

Jump to top westhirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:13:45 AM   #2
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: SMG Gear Position sensor?

I'd do the "teach in" process to calibrate the actuator to the sensors, then see if it improves or gets worse.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 01:59:09 PM   #3
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

Thanks. Can I do that through INPA?
Old Fri, Feb-24-2017, 06:55:09 PM   #4
BMWGuy206

United States

I had a customer with a 2003 M3 and his gear identification switch failed. Car had 144,784 miles. It had the following fault codes stored in the SMG control unit:

(017) 11 SMG SHIFT SEQUENCE, CURRENTLY NOT PRESENT, OCCURRED 7 TIMES.
(034) 24 POSITION SENSOR, SELECTRION ANGLE, OCCURRED 47 TIMES.
(037) 25 POSITION SENSOR, SHIFT TRAVEL, OCCURRED 46 TIMES.

His car would go into neutral while driving at times. Replaced the Gear ID switch and M3 was fine then until a few months later, his SMG pump failed.
Jump to top BMWGuy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-24-2017, 07:42:21 PM   #5
hikkakaru

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhirteen View Post
Thanks. Can I do that through INPA?
Yes, if you have special testing set up appropriately.

At the main menu where chassis selection happens, hit F9 or look for a button that says 'Special Tests' , the actuation/venting functions are in the "SMG Transmission" ( or some other similar wording ) section of the 'Special' menu, usually brought up with the F9 key.

If you don't have that menu you probably have to edit a text file -- google can help you with that, I don't recall how to do it off hand.

P.S. those errors that popped up for you are also common during a leak. Make sure to do a physical inspection before messing with INPA/DIS/GT1/Rheingold stuff in order to avoid inadvertent damage.

It appears you are running the adaptations OK, one may suspect a real slow leak; I had a tiny leak that allowed for all testing to pass only to lead to a new light and weird codes 100 miles later due to the air pulled in from the tiny leak causing a change in clutch values.

Last edited by hikkakaru; Fri, Feb-24-2017 at 07:45:43 PM.
Jump to top hikkakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-24-2017, 08:21:41 PM   #6
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

Awesome. Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm pretty sure it has the Special Tests -- I remember seeing it when I did the other stuff, so I'll try that this weekend.
This all started driving to work one morning. I was in 5th and started to turn onto an on-ramp. It shifts down to 3rd and then everything goes dead. I try to crank it/ get it into neutral for a few minutes before it finally cranks back up. From there it drives fine the remaining 15 miles to work. The same afternoon, it happens again. This time it shifts into 2nd and then won't go into 3rd and the car stalls and dies. It took a little longer to get it cranked again, but after several tries it finally cranks up but won't go passed 2nd. So I drive the remaining 1/2 mile to work trying to keep it from revving too much. Then, the same night, leaving work, I drive 20 miles towards home and it does the same thing... this time it gets to 3rd, goes dead and will not crank. I finally get out, unhook the battery (in the trunk) cable, hook it back up, get back in, and it cranks. Ahhhhh! Frustrating. BTW, the pump still primes when unlocking.
Old Tue, Feb-28-2017, 07:32:58 PM   #7
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

This is what I got:

Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 03:57:01 PM   #8
jakedademon

United States

You did the first step. Do the clutch and then the full calibration.
Jump to top jakedademon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 08:35:55 PM   #9
westhirteen

In the garage:

United States

Ok, so after a few issues with software/hardware, I was finally able to perform the special tests. Here are a few screens:

Being that I have not driven the car since the original incident, I decided to clear the memory codes in each module and drive. Roughly 10 miles later, and achieving shifts through all six gears and a to-temp engine, I received the yellow SES light. One mile later, I pulled into my driveway and just as I was slowing down enough to almost come to a complete stop, the yellow cog light came on. I parked, let it idle for a few moments, and turned it off after which the cog light remained for 2-3 seconds before turning off as well.

I immediately re-ran the diagnostics:

And that's it. Should I suspect the clutch as well as the gear selection sensor at this point? Early apologies for any repetitiveness in the images, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 09:14:48 PM   #10
hikkakaru

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhirteen View Post
Ok, so after a few issues with software/hardware, I was finally able to perform the special tests. Here are a few screens:

And that's it. Should I suspect the clutch as well as the gear selection sensor at this point? Early apologies for any repetitiveness in the images, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

some thoughts:

are all those unrelated codes new? 'aktions modi' and the pre-cat one? I have ran into '87 aktions modi' during a failed adaptation procedure in which ambient temperatures were too low. I notice it says you're working in 7 c temperature. If that is correct, you may want to warm the car before doing any SMG work. Burkhart Engineering recommended to me at least 70 fahrenheit when I was having adaptation issues, and it helped to solve my problems.

Like I said once before, clutch control codes pop up for either a hydraulic leak-down somewhere in the system or a lazy clutch slave cylinder, or a worn out clutch. If mileage dictates it i'd suspect the clutch. Consider doing CPV and springs while you're down there if you decide to attack that. Check for oil-spray near any smg lines and their route. Some leaks can be real sneaky.

As far as codes 36 and 37, if the system isn't fibbing it points to a bad GPS. I'd clear a few times and get them to repeat themselves to make sure. Most cars will not fully adapt with a bad GPS, but they can fail intermittently or act differently under the stress/vibration of driving.

good luck.

p.s. are you disconnecting the battery to fix the no-crank by clearing the red cog light? If so, and it's convenient, do this instead:

Use INPA to shift the transmission into neutral and then attempt an SMG module code-clear. Often times a code-clear will not allow for crank unless the transmission is thrown into a safe neutral first, if you attempt to crank it in a bad position it will red-cog immediately and prevent it from happening.
connecting/disconnecting the battery is a pain in the ass and it adds superfluous codes to the ECM quite often when we're trying to diagnose a real problem, and it will often get rid of our freeze frame data that might help us find the real problem.

Last edited by hikkakaru; Sun, Mar-12-2017 at 09:20:58 PM.
Jump to top hikkakaru is offline   Reply With Quote