BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 03:30:07 AM   #1
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Default First start in half a year, pull fuel pump fuse and let it crank first?

Hey all, so Chicago decided to extend winter and long story short my m3 has been in the garage dorment for 6 months. Weather has finally started to feel like spring and this weekend Im pulling her out. So first off Im doing my oil change and am wondering if I should just do it before Its first start up or If I should drive it and do it warm, like normal procedure??

But more importantly Im worried about a dry cold start. Its been 6 months so everything is probably completely dry. I donít plan to buy a pre oiler, but am wondering what I can do if anything to avoid all that wear. Yes I know you will all think Im f***ed in the head but I had an idea of pulling fuel pump fuse and just cranking it, therefore oil squirters will do their job no? Then starting? Is this a good idea or no?

Thanks guys!
Jump to top Joshe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 06:03:27 AM   #2
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: First start in half a year, pull fuel pump fuse and let it crank first?

If you want to go down that road, pull the plugs and throw a bit of oil in each cylinder. Remove the valve cover and pour a bit of oil over the valvetrain. Crank the engine by hand a few times. Then you can start it normally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 08:51:27 AM   #3
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Default Re: First start in half a year, pull fuel pump fuse and let it crank first?

I hope you didnt store it with used oil.. anyway, I would just change the oil and start it up.
U can pull the plugs abd spray fogging oil spray.. but I dont think its completely dry like you might think. Some oil lingers for a very long time.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 01:06:19 PM   #4
SYRARCH04

United States

Yeah you should be changing the oil before storing it, not after. I’m in Syracuse so I feel your pain, might actually get to drive it this weekend!
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 01:56:22 PM   #5
repoman89

United States

I went close to six months too in Boston. Just quickly turned the key a few times so it cranked without having time to fire to oil it up. Then I would have started it up -- but that was enough to kill what was left of the battery, so went to buy another one in my other car and then fired it up.
Jump to top repoman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 02:03:02 PM   #6
MrCooperS

United States

Also in Boston. Mines was sitting about 5 months with the battery out on a tender. I popped the battery back in and started it on first crank and everything was fine.

OEM gloss black kidney grills & fender grills | Osram DS2 bulbs | Smoked corners | IB valve cover | IB side markers | Angel eyes | Status Gruppe CF Trunk | CF CSL rear diffuser | CF front spoiler | US Mill Works tow hook license plate holder | Stainless steel M3 pedals

Auto Solutions 30% SSK | Eventuri Intake & CF Scoop | Macht Snell silicon intake elbow | Turner IAT relocation kit | WPC-treated rod bearings | CSL headers | Euro section 1 | Supersprint resonated section 2 | Supersprint sport section 3 | Eibach springs | Turner monoball FCABs | Apex EC-7 hypersilver wheels | Bridgestone RE71R | Apex spacers | Apex bolts

Ledarmanz perforated flat bottom steering wheel | Coby Alcantara shift + e-brake boot | ZHP Shift Knob | Armrest & cupholder delete + Euro tray | Schroth 3-point harness | Alcantara wrapped A+B+C pillars

Are you an E30 M3 owner? If you're looking to trade for an 05 Interlagos Blue E46 M3, message me!
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 02:09:35 PM   #7
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Mine sits with a battery tender under a cover for 5 months a year and it always starts first crank.
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 02:41:34 PM   #8
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Track car sat for six months with old oil in it. Rebuilt injectors, so just waited for the fuel pump to get rid of the air, then cranked it right up.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 02:52:42 PM   #9
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Not worried about it starting, battery has been out of car on tender. I may spray some fogging oil down spark plug wells. But to the original question, isnít just cranking with no start a sufficient way of oiling the engine prior to start?! It does have oil squirters throughout.

And Im not trying to start another thread about the before vs. after oil change. I put a lot of thought into it and decided after is best for me. My oil has not even 2k miles on it. Iíd rather start the season with fresh oil rather than oil that has been in the pan for 6 months already.
Jump to top Joshe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-25-2018, 04:55:28 PM   #10
schoonerm3

Ireland

Oil will still be everywhere. I used to crank if every time because I left it for 8 months the last 5 years. I stopped doing this now. No need to worry. Just start it, Maybe crank it once but dont bother waiting for oil pressure.
Jump to top schoonerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote