BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, May-15-2017, 12:37:46 PM   #1
jagga

United States

Default E36 M3 evo lightweight flywheel woes sorted

gave a crankshaft, clutch, flywheel, harmonic balancer and front pulley to geoff dodd of Autosprint to balance all the parts as an assembly and resurface the lightened flywheel and polish the crankshaft.

got the parts back on tuesday from geoff dodd of autosprint he did a fantastic job and balanced the crankshaft first then fitted the harmonic balancer and front pulley and balanced those and then fitted the flywheel and balanced that then he fitted the clutch and balanced that too, he said the sachs cover plate was miles out and had to remove a lot of metal to balance it up.

I already had the flywheel fitted 18 months ago but removed it because at that time it was fitted with a standard m3 clutch with an unsprung clutch plate and had not been balanced as an assembly with the clutch.

two things about it really pissed me off the first was that the clutch was either on or off and the car would always pull away with a thud and would stall very easily. the other was the very loud chatter on idle and i could hear and feel a buzzing through the gear stick between 1500 and 2000 revs but boy did she go. after one month i was fed up with the clutch in stop start traffic so i removed it and fitted a oem dual mass flywheel.

i decided to give it a go again because the car was noticeably faster with the lightened flywheel but this time i planned on getting the clutch and flywheel balanced and using a m5 sprung clutch plate to give a smoother clutch. i did some research and got in touch with Geoff Dodd at Autosprint. Geoff needed a crankshaft to mount the flywheel on his machine luckily i have a spare engine already stripped ready for rebuild. so i dropped off the parts to him and 3 days later he rang me and said it was ready to collect.

heres some pics

my crank being balanced by goff dodd of autosprint (old skool guy highly skilled)

geoff said that the sachs pressure plate was miles out and needed a lot of metal removing to get to zero balance. he balanced all the components you can see in the pics and polished and balanced the crank and resurfaced the flywheel for me.

geoff removed some metal from the vibration damper to balance it. will fit this when i do the rad and oil cooler.

the clutch was marked up to the flywheel so everything was reassembled in the same position to ensure everything is perfectly in balance. you can see where geoff has grinded the edge of the pressure plate to balance it. geoff said it was miles out and he had to remove a lot of metal to get it to balance up.

crankshaft was also balanced and polished, you can see where metal was removed from the counterweights.

i just got the car back yesterday from the garage and got them to fit a new clutch slave and master cylinder, clutch pedal and new springs on the pedal and they also fitted a brand new propshaft., lightened flywheel, sachs pressure plate and throw out bearing with the m5 sprung pressure plate.

The clutch is perfect but has a lot more clamping force than a standard set up. last time i had a new clutch biting point was in the middle but this time it is about 2 inches from the top of the pedal.

it engages so much better than the horrible unsprung clutch plate and lightened flywheel setup that i had for a month in 2015. I would say it is even better than the stock setup in this regard.

the balancing has sorted all the vibration i had from the flywheel the last time i got it fitted and now i get no vibration at all through the gear stick. there is a slight chatter on idle but far far less than when i had it fitted it last time due to it being balanced with the clutch this time.

there is no chatter at all from a cold start only when the gear oil gets really hot after 20 or 30 minutes and some hard driving to get oil temp to 100 degrees does the chatter start so i am sure it will go away if i change to a slightly thicker oil grade.

the acceleration is noticeably faster especially in first and second gear and gear changes are a lot faster and smoother because the revs match a lot faster with the lightened flywheel because the revs drops faster. the notchiness i felt before during fast gear changes at 8000 rpm is not there now it just slots right in with the quickshift.

i did tell my mechanic that i may get him to refit the dual mass if i dont like this clutch and flywheel setup but this time round it is sorted. I LOVE IT and i am not going back to dual mass.

the car already has schrick 284 cams, uprated injectors, vanos rebuild, bottom end rebuild, quickshift, kwv3 coilovers, front and rear H&R adjustable anti roll bars,full poly bush, all new suspension bolts and balljoints, faster steering rack, brembo brakes all round with e46 m3 csl discs, eisenmann race exhaust, low ratio 3.64 diff, racelogic raction and launch control etc etc..just needs the mac motoren airbox fitting next and a remap with a vems ecu.

build thread here http://totalmcars.com/thread/5807/jaggas-m3-evo-vert

Last edited by jagga; Tue, May-16-2017 at 11:35:03 AM.
Jump to top jagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-15-2017, 12:53:23 PM   #2
Double E
Double E

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 evo lightweight flywheel woes sorted

8000 RPM.
Love it.
Old Mon, May-15-2017, 03:40:36 PM   #3
jagga

United States

is something wrong with the way this forum displays on chrome? i tried to post a load of pics but could not get them to display. you can see the pics here http://totalmcars.com/thread/5807/ja...vo-vert?page=2
Jump to top jagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-17-2017, 02:37:00 AM   #4
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

The rust you guys deal with is crazy.
Old Thu, May-25-2017, 06:14:33 PM   #5
StJamesM
Store Bay

Trinidad and Tobago

i'll give u a kidney if you make me one of those LOL

Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust [no Cats], GruppeM Intake, Evolve-R ECU, Eriscsson front bumper, Ericsson Amuse trunk lid, Strasse forged SM8, Bilstein B12 sportline
past
- F355GTS-6mt
- JCW CooperS

Quote:
in a perfect world i'd have a singer and a fully restored goat, period
Jump to top StJamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-25-2017, 06:46:37 PM   #6
M-technik-3

In the garage:

Wow that is some serious grinding off the pressure plate.
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-25-2017, 10:39:50 PM   #7
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagga View Post
is something wrong with the way this forum displays on chrome? i tried to post a load of pics but could not get them to display. you can see the pics here http://totalmcars.com/thread/5807/ja...vo-vert?page=2
If you tried to add pics using the paper clip and they were too large, it just stops. No error message. That means the pics are too large and you need to cut them down. Maybe you had another problem.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - New 5.17.13 (1 of 62)
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote