BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, May-09-2017, 04:56:12 PM   #1
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Default Rebuilt S52 won't turn over

This a question for S50/2 engine guru's..

Backstory:
1998 M3/4/5 with 196K miles. Engine was rebuilt due to excessive blow-by and very high oil consumption from worn valve stem seals and dirty/clogged oil control rings.
Freshly rebuilt S52 (very lightly honed bottom end)
OEM Mahle pistons
NPR branded rings gapped within TIS spec
OEM Glyco rod and main bearings all within TIS sepc verified with plastigage
New rod bolts and main bearing bolts
M50 head with S52 springs and reused the stock S52 cams. New head bolts. OE BMW gaskets all around.
Resealed Beisan kit Vanos
New OE bmw oil pump w/ achilles motorsports oil pan baffle and Z3M reinforced pickup tube
New OE BMW timing chain, guides, rails and tensioners

I timed the motor on the engine stand using tools from a friend. I turned it over at least 3 times and checked the timing after each full revolution. When I pop the motor in the car along with a new Bosch starter, it fired up rather quickly then died immediately. I swapped out the battery with a brand Bosch from Pep Boys and verified the voltage at the starter. I tried to start again and the motor is now spinning VERY slowly. As if it has a dead battery. So I pull the starter thinking its gone bad, and then try to rotate the motor from the crank pulley and it wont budge!??
Next, I pulled the plugs and tried again. No luck.
After that I pulled the valve cover and the vanos assembly, I rotated each cam just a little bit and they moved just fine. I then try to rotate the bottom end again and it wouldn't budge in either direction!

What do I do next? Should I just pull the motor and drop the oil pan and go from there? Could the clutch be stuck on the flywheel or something?? Stuck piston rings? Should I try to pour in some Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug wells? I don't want to pull the motor again, but the alternative is to drop the oil pan which I really don't want to do.

Cliff notes: I rebuilt my S52. Now it won't start as the bottom end won't rotate. It was rotating fine on the engine stand. It was turned maybe 15-20 times on the stand before the head was installed.

Just looking for some insight here.

Motor is not dry, it was assembled with assembly lubricant and then filled with 7 quarts of Chevron Delo 10w30 dino oil for break in.

Thanks

- Jordan
Jump to top j0rdan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 05:31:00 PM   #2
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: Rebuilt S52 won't turn over

-Pull the trans and try turning the motor again.
-Crank pulley bolts (x6) the correct lengths?

If nothing obvious, tear it back apart :/
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 05:35:19 PM   #3
deboM3

Man that sucks.

If you don't want to pull the engine quite yet, you can pull the oil pan and do a visual of the bottom end. Maybe a bearing seized?
Jump to top deboM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 07:11:11 PM   #4
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboM3 View Post
Man that sucks.

If you don't want to pull the engine quite yet, you can pull the oil pan and do a visual of the bottom end. Maybe a bearing seized?
You're pulling the engine at that point so why do that job twice. Pull anything you can off to eliminate variables. Pull motor if nothing else seems to be the cause.
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 08:53:31 PM   #5
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
-Pull the trans and try turning the motor again.
-Crank pulley bolts (x6) the correct lengths?

If nothing obvious, tear it back apart :/
The 6 crank pulley bolts are indeed the correct length. I reused them from the old engine. Not sure if I was supposed to change them, but the torque values weren't too high so I don't think they were stretch bolts.

I think I might pull the trans next. I found this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...led-backwards-)

Interesting read. I don't think my transmission is stuck on, but I am running a JB 15 pound single mass flywheel, E34 M5 clutch disk (which maybe I installed backwards?) and a stock E36 M3 pressure plate. Shift linkage is UUC Evo3 (not that it really matters) and the transmission is a Zf310 with under 100K miles from a '95 M3.

Hopefully it was just my error on the clutch install. Fingers crossed. I'll report back within a few weeks as the car is down in the Bay Area sitting in my parents garage.

Quote:
Man that sucks.

I definitley don't want to pull the motor. But I would rather yank the lump out instead of dropping the subframe and removing the oil pan. Realistically I could pull the motor in around 3 hours or so. I just don't want to as I finally got all the headlights, and kidney grill nose panel to line up nicely.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it!
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 11:53:49 PM   #6
Braymond141

United States

Old Wed, May-10-2017, 12:17:01 AM   #7
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Good Lord. LOL.
I hope that's not the case!
I did scope out the cylinder walls and from what I could see they looked fine. But again, I'll start with pulling the transmission first. After that I'll pull the motor if it's still seized.

If the motor is still seized I'll go used S54 route and rebuild the S52 again and drop the motor into my 88 528.
Old Wed, May-10-2017, 02:36:23 AM   #8
deboM3

Multiple people think it's easier to pull the motor then to drop the front subframe?

I havnt done the motor on the e36, but I thought the oil pan gasket wasn't bad at all. I guess I'd rather do mechanical work than dealing with all the electrical connections associsged with the engine removal. Also the only engine removal I did was on a mid engine car and it was miserable. Maybe I'm biased because of that hellish experience.

Either way, good luck to OP.
Jump to top deboM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-10-2017, 02:59:09 AM   #9
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Multiple people think it's easier to pull the motor then to drop the front subframe?

I havnt done the motor on the e36, but I thought the oil pan gasket wasn't bad at all. I guess I'd rather do mechanical work than dealing with all the electrical connections associsged with the engine removal. Also the only engine removal I did was on a mid engine car and it was miserable. Maybe I'm biased because of that hellish experience.

Either way, good luck to OP.
What exactly are you going to do when you pull the pan only to find out the bearings are screwed up (or whatever else may of happened). You're going to put it back together, bolt the subframe back on, set the motor back down and start preparing to pull it with an engine hoist. This isn't a problem you're going to fix on your back if it is that serious and you're making more work for yourself just to SEE the problem.

Old Wed, May-10-2017, 02:44:42 PM   #10
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Also you can pull the motor with the wiring loom attached to the motor still