BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, May-01-2017, 02:56:43 AM   #1
carpetbagger

In the garage:

United States

Default To mod or not to mod, that is the question..

Greetings, everyone. Last June, I picked up this 1998 titanium silver coupe and I am trying to figure out what do with it. I was really looking for white or estoril, but It eventually became a bit of an emotional purchase. Admittedly, I have had some buyer's remorse (wanting a car for 22 years builds some unrealistic expectations), and while I am warming to the car, I still wonder if I should do the various things I had planned. Specifically, I wanted to turn this into a full Dinan car (tune, intake, throttle body, exhaust, suspension, etc.). The car is mostly stock, with the only changes being (1) Dinan tune, (2) upgrade to the 18-button obc, and (3) upgrade to the business cd.

As I approach my first anniversary of ownership, I am faced with the choice of do I do the mods. The OEM nature of the car makes me wonder if I would be better off leaving it as is from a resale standpoint, which then becomes a bigger issue if I try and sell it. If I were to sell it and try to find a white or blue one that is more aligned with my original idea, I think I would look for something I could just enjoy as a driver and mod it however I want, resale be damned. Having never driven a car with all of the Dinan goodies, I can't anticipate the real world difference (and yes, I have watched the YouTube exhaust videos).

So I am reaching out to see what you all think, as you all have more experience with your mods amd the ROI you got from them, as well as how you have felt after years of owning your car. What do you say - keep stock? Mod? Sell and start over? Sell and just buy the 987, 981, or 997.1 that is next on my list?

Last edited by carpetbagger; Mon, May-01-2017 at 04:36:39 AM. Reason: Formatting and content
Jump to top carpetbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 03:08:08 AM   #2
TheJDub-E36

United States

Default Re: To mod or not to mod, that is the question..

My car (98 sedan) is full bolt on's + cams and I absolutely love it, but I also miss it being stock with less issues:/

If I were to acquire another M3 I would keep it much closer to sock.
Jump to top TheJDub-E36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 04:26:19 AM   #3
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

The Dinan tune, intake, BBTB, and exhaust make the car louder. The suspension lowers it slightly (more in the rear than the front, usually). It's not going to make it into a new car or anything. Yank the baffles out of your air box and you'll get an idea of how it will sound. The handling isn't that different on Dinan suspension (Ebiachs and Konis). Snappier response to directional changes and a little less body roll.

I don't really know anything about you, but to me it sounds like you bought the wrong car. You've had it a year and you're talking about modding it in the same post as talking about selling it to buy a different color, or selling it to buy a P-car.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 04:44:54 AM   #4
pbonsalb

Buy one of the Porsches on your list. I have had a 99M3 for 12 years and done pretty much all the suspension and mechanical mods. My next car will be a 997TT. The E36 is getting old. Unless you want an old car, I'd buy something newer. E46M3 (Great cars and 90 more hp than the E36)? E90M3 (I have had one for 7 years and like it)? Porsche Cayman or 911?

Last edited by pbonsalb; Mon, May-01-2017 at 12:11:44 PM.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 05:57:26 AM   #5
westopher

Canada

The fact you mentioned ROI, makes me think you should stay away from the mods. You aren't gonna get your money back from them. It doesn't sound like you love the car. I agree with pbonsalb, even though him and I feel drastically different about e36s. Move on to the next one.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 103k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 12:15:35 PM   #6
pbonsalb

I never think about ROI with cars. I buy them to enjoy. And when I mod them I don't expect to get anything back. I buy used and carefully and do my own work to save money. I also drive my cars, rain and snow included. I have fun cars because I bought them to drive not to park while I drive a Honda or Jeep or whatever.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 01:23:52 PM   #7
tripitz

United States

You cannot really compare the E36 to a car like the 997. The 997 is just an amazing car and significantly newer and more modern. To me, the M3 does not come alive until you breath some additional life into it. All it really needs is suspension work. If you want to build a real appreciation for this car, you need to take it to the track. As a "car" for street use, time and technologies have moved on. At the track, this car starts to really shine. When you drive it to and from the track and then enjoy it day to day, that's when you may really start to love the car.

I owned 3 M3s and a 997; they're all amazing in their own way.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 01:47:52 PM   #8
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
So I am reaching out to see what you all think, as you all have more experience with your mods amd the ROI you got from them,
You get back about 10 cents for every dollar you spend on mods but I think you are talking about 'amount of pleasure' from mods.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 02:12:55 PM   #9
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Sell it to someone who will really appreciate it. It looks like a solid car (based on the BaT ad). Nothing wrong with wanting to move on to another car.
Old Mon, May-01-2017, 06:46:09 PM   #10
carpetbagger

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
You get back about 10 cents for every dollar you spend on mods but I think you are talking about 'amount of pleasure' from mods.
That is correct. I know I can't spend x on mods and add it to the resale price. So that specific sentence was about enjoyment ROI. I would assume most potential buyers down the road wouldn't be averse to a car with the Dinan stuff should I do it.

As for the other comments, thank you all. In a perfect world, I would keep the m3 and still get the 997. As I mentioned in the initial post, I am warming to true car. I went down to the Mitty at Road Atlanta in April and had fun on the country road tour I took through Classic Motorsports and the laps on the track I did both Friday and Saturday.

Maybe I will just give it a bit more time. It will be going down to the Barber Historics later this month and perhaps the Trissl Porsche event this weekend. N
Jump to top carpetbagger is offline   Reply With Quote