BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 09:22:57 PM   #11
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Chads e36 M3 track build

I finally was able to drive my car the other day! Man was it a hoot, the clutch is a damn light switch and has zero play, I wish i know what clutch was installed because there is no way that is stock! The engine seems to run like a sewing machine despite what looks like shade tree mechanic service (zip ties everywhere). The car has way over sized tires and wheels (series 185 staggered set, and 245 up front and 275 in the rear). Also some of the body panels ( the front fenders) have been replaced and rattle can'd yet are in very nice shape. The interior is a bit shot when it comes to the front Vaders, however this is exactly what I want for a track car. Who knew a car with 200k miles might have a few issues?

The first popped up the day after I got her home. As I was leaving a car wash my foot hit the floor when I went to put the car into first. My initial thought was "oh $h!+" then i toed the clutch lever back up and attempted to put the car into gear. Eventually after many naughty words I was able to nurse the car back home in second gear. This is where things really started going weird, The next morning I went back to my car and was able to get the car started and allow it to run, the clutch felt fine, I decided I could take it for a lap or two around my apartment complex and sure enough the clutch hit the floor after a bit. Two days later I decided to take to a friends so we could replace the slave cylinder, but after I got the car there and many many attempts to repeat the issue it never reared its head. So I assumed the pedal might be being pushed too far as I do not have a clutch stop (will be getting one asap). As I was nearly halfway back to my house, guess what decided to rear her ugly head? Yup the disappearing clutch was back to pay me another visit. I was able to be nursed into a parking lot by another friend who was following me in my DD ( 2013 modded Abarth fun little car) and yesterday was towed to a maintenance shop to be looked at. The slave will be replaced and a total deep evaluation of the car will be done.
Jump to top Chadrbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-13-2017, 07:39:30 PM   #12
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

Well, I guess sometimes we have to commend ourselves when we pick'em, I had a lovely surprise from my girlfriend yesterday and I just cannot get over it. I think I and she picked pretty well. I cannot wait to get this 300mm wheel on the car. I took a photo to compare to the size of me DD Abarth wheel. More pics of the install in a few weeks once i get a hub when im back from vacation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (29.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (25.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Chadrbrewer; Sat, May-13-2017 at 07:40:53 PM. Reason: more info
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 05:42:59 PM   #13
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

Well, the car has had an interesting history and I feel like everything is needing attention. the previous owners did not seem to care much for doing things properly and nothing was bolted down right, the hood is not square and neither was the whole front clip.
Going to try and get the hood to sit flush on the passenger front side, it likes to sit an 1/4 inch high, i can push it down and it just springs up. if i cannot get it to sit flush i will probably remove the front spring mechanism and use hood pins.
speaking of hoods, I replaced the struts, and I replaced the trunk struts
A complete new cooling system has been installed, everything, hoses, pumps, housings, gromits, widgets and gigets.
X brace installed
New OMP Steering wheel and Hub
horn was missing so we installed a horn
New H7 battery, would love to go smaller in the future but there was issues with clamp
Have to get new keys as the ignition and trunk are separate locks than the doors
New Slave and Master Cluch going in the car.
New wheels
New emergency brake assembly
The fuel gauge was not working, so fixed that and every other cluster light
Car needs a coal can for evap
will probably need new o2 sensors
will get new plugs
abs is inoperable gotta fix that too

thats all i can think of now.
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 10:19:15 PM   #14
Solaris99

In the garage:

United States

ABS on a track car? Does not compute.

1999 BMW M3
2009 Chevy Cobalt SS turbocharged coupe
2000 Ford F350 7.3L 4x4
Jump to top Solaris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 03:21:44 PM   #15
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

Have you ever flat spotted a set of tires? ABS is the way to go.

Question, how do I fix this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.JPG (83.1 KB, 33 views)
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 04:00:22 PM   #16
Solaris99

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadrbrewer View Post
Have you ever flat spotted a set of tires? ABS is the way to go.
I actually still have my ABS enabled because I never go past the threshold where I get a lockup and it's never on my mind. I'm not trying to intimidate you into leaving it off. Just kind of busting balls. If mine failed, I wouldn't spend money on getting back.

1999 BMW M3
2000 Ford F350 7.3L 4x4
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 05:07:54 PM   #17
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
I actually still have my ABS enabled because I never go past the threshold where I get a lockup and it's never on my mind. I'm not trying to intimidate you into leaving it off. Just kind of busting balls. If mine failed, I wouldn't spend money on getting back.
I had a wheel speed sensor fail a few years ago and it disabled ABS. The brake bias and brake feel without ABS is less than ideal. It was surprisingly easy to unintentionally lock up the wheels on the street. There are ways to improve this with a dual master cylinder race setup, although unless you have a pretty extreme build it's not going to improve lap times since the factory ABS actually works very well at the track.
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 05:48:02 PM   #18
Solaris99

In the garage:

United States

When I was driving this car on the street, I had the ABS crap out a couple of times intermittently. Couldn't tell except for the light in the dash. Now I'm really curious and will disable it for a session at my next event.

1999 BMW M3
2000 Ford F350 7.3L 4x4
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 07:34:46 PM   #19
Sammyzuko
Registered User & Abuser

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
When I was driving this car on the street, I had the ABS crap out a couple of times intermittently. Couldn't tell except for the light in the dash. Now I'm really curious and will disable it for a session at my next event.
Give it a shot and let us know what you think
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 08:45:06 PM   #20
frbz

The 3 channel ABS on the 95 model year cars is definitely inferior to the later 4 channel set ups on the track.
Jump to top frbz is offline   Reply With Quote