BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 04:30:22 AM   #1
iwantbmwm3

United States

Default Why are there so many M3 for sale around 50k miles?

Hi all,

I googled but couldnt find a real answer. I am looking to buy a e92 M3 (2009-2013) amd i see many M3 from all production years for sale around 45-50k miles. Even the 2011s that have been out if warranty for 1-2 yrs are for sale around 50k miles.

Is there a particular reason? Is there a big/costly service at 50k miles people want to avoid paying for?Also is it a bad idea to buy a M3 over 50k miles? My research says no as long as car was maintained well.
Jump to top iwantbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 05:41:48 AM   #2
#1P4PKing
Driving Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Why are there so many M3 for sale around 50k miles?

Good question, the first one, as far as is it bad? Definitely not. Many on here will tell you these cars were built to last, and built to be driven. With responsible ownership if you plan to keep the car, I don't see why it won't last you 150000+ miles, of course you will have to maintain / replace some parts but in a general sense, it should last you a very long time.
Jump to top #1P4PKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 04:29:43 PM   #3
nick380

In the garage:

United States

@ 50k miles you're looking at these as possibilities of replacement: Throttle body actuators (rebuild them yourself, it is easy and costs 1/10 of the price), engine mounts (i've seen some @ 30k look like shit mine @ 55k were completely destroyed) , IAC (idle hunting and limp mode on low engine loads) , and of course you always gotta be on the look out for those rod bearings...unless you've got the built stroker like I do hehe. Also you're also looking at a good time to replace the following fluids if not done already: Brake, coolant, diff, trans, and with any buy definitely change the engine oil. Spark plugs are good at look at as well. suspension components can be worn, but that depends on prior owner driving style...end links on the sway bars tend to fail more frequently than other components. These cars are maintenance monsters! So as long as you treat her right and do proper work, let her warm up before ripping it you can beat on the car day in day out...after all BMW engineered the S65 in the same place they do their F1 engines. I'm a very DIY oriented person, so I have no problem servicing this vehicle myself, I also have a 335i and it has waaayyyy more issues than this platform does, and it is surprisingly easy to wrench on. There's a guy with an 08 E92 DCT M3 with about 208K miles, he's been running strong on original rod bearings, but i'm sure his days are numbered, but that gives you a good idea how long these cars can last if treated right. Good luck!
Jump to top nick380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 06:11:43 PM   #4
#1P4PKing
Driving Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
@ 50k miles you're looking at these as possibilities of replacement: Throttle body actuators (rebuild them yourself, it is easy and costs 1/10 of the price), engine mounts (i've seen some @ 30k look like shit mine @ 55k were completely destroyed) , IAC (idle hunting and limp mode on low engine loads) , and of course you always gotta be on the look out for those rod bearings...unless you've got the built stroker like I do hehe. Also you're also looking at a good time to replace the following fluids if not done already: Brake, coolant, diff, trans, and with any buy definitely change the engine oil. Spark plugs are good at look at as well. suspension components can be worn, but that depends on prior owner driving style...end links on the sway bars tend to fail more frequently than other components. These cars are maintenance monsters! So as long as you treat her right and do proper work, let her warm up before ripping it you can beat on the car day in day out...after all BMW engineered the S65 in the same place they do their F1 engines. I'm a very DIY oriented person, so I have no problem servicing this vehicle myself, I also have a 335i and it has waaayyyy more issues than this platform does, and it is surprisingly easy to wrench on. There's a guy with an 08 E92 DCT M3 with about 208K miles, he's been running strong on original rod bearings, but i'm sure his days are numbered, but that gives you a good idea how long these cars can last if treated right. Good luck!
208k miles with the same rod bearings, that's just awesome lol.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:09:36 PM   #5
iwantbmwm3

United States

Thanks for all your input guys.

So its safe to assume all these 40-50k mile cars for sale are because at around this mileage you will have to do some maintanance/servicing and due to being out of warranty people just sell them vs putting some money into it? but as long as they are given TLC, theyll run for a long time?

I want a lower mileage M3 and there is a ton of cars right around 50k. Now finding a car with one owner and service records seems to be hard.
Jump to top iwantbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 01:49:53 AM   #6
Takumi587

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
I am doing all of this to my E46 M3! But you are spot on about what needs to be changed at 50K!
Jump to top Takumi587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 02:38:06 AM   #7
Rez

Reputation: 637 Rez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantbmwm3 View Post
Thanks for all your input guys.

So its safe to assume all these 40-50k mile cars for sale are because at around this mileage you will have to do some maintanance/servicing and due to being out of warranty people just sell them vs putting some money into it? but as long as they are given TLC, theyll run for a long time?

I want a lower mileage M3 and there is a ton of cars right around 50k. Now finding a car with one owner and service records seems to be hard.
I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as the car is in good shape and cared for properly. The biggest scare and perhaps somewhat controversial issue is the rod bearing, other stuff will cost you few hundred to coupe of grand at most.
Low miles cars are available as long as you are willing to pay. I have 2013 with 14K miles that I am willing to sell for a monte carlo blue one that I recently ran into.
Jump to top Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 05:39:45 AM   #8
hogger453

In the garage:

Bulgaria

I have a 13 ZCP with 18K.

I love not giving a fuk about this car and would trade it for a clean low mileage e46 m3.
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 05:47:07 AM   #9
#1P4PKing
Driving Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as the car is in good shape and cared for properly. The biggest scare and perhaps somewhat controversial issue is the rod bearing, other stuff will cost you few hundred to coupe of grand at most.
Low miles cars are available as long as you are willing to pay. I have 2013 with 14K miles that I am willing to sell for a monte carlo blue one that I recently ran into.
My gosh. How do you have an m3 for so long and drive it so little?

Even if I had a 911 or something of the sort in my garage I would at least split the time in both evenly and have way more miles than that lol.
Old Fri, Feb-17-2017, 09:06:51 PM   #10
nick380

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1P4PKing View Post
208k miles with the same rod bearings, that's just awesome lol.
Right? Look him up on youtube, RDDC I believe is his channels name, has tons of videos and some DIY's too on the car. Pretty cool guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
I am doing all of this to my E46 M3! But you are spot on about what needs to be changed at 50K!
Yea I'd also add in O2 sensors, as well as low fuel pressure sensor, just got some codes on that for my car. I love how easy access the O2's are on the E92, compared to the 335i, it's a dream! The low fuel pressure sensor you can get for 36bucks on ebay, states BMW oem without the packaging, pictures shows BMW part number. so we'll see how that goes. Also pretty easy access.

Last edited by nick380; Sat, Feb-18-2017 at 07:12:30 PM.
Jump to top nick380 is offline   Reply With Quote