BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Jun-29-2008, 08:32:24 AM   #1
Petrucci
I like cars.

United States

Default Armrest/center console - Will a sedan fit into a coupe?

Did some searching around and couldn't find a concrete answer and I trust this forum more than anything. I'm assuming the center consoles were all interchangeable but just needed a second opinion. Checked realoem.com, the sedan is a 97 and I'm a 95 of course and the part#'s match up.

Thanks in advance.

Jump to top Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-29-2008, 09:55:48 AM   #2
bedheadben

United States

They should if the part numbers are the same!

Selling the Miata, hopefully soon to have an M3.
Jump to top bedheadben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-29-2008, 04:18:37 PM   #3
Shock(/\)ave
Freedom Under Democracy

Canada

Arrow

They're all interchangeable.

Founder Of The New Car Smell Club & The Canadian Edition Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BabyDady View Post
i once stood in front of my x fiance and said .... wow that right there is the love of my life, and i pointed at an m3
Jump to top Shock(/\)ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-29-2008, 10:11:13 PM   #4
Petrucci
I like cars.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
They should if the part numbers are the same!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
Thanks guys

Jump to top Petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-06-2016, 11:18:08 AM   #5
hash_z4

United States

Default Re: Armrest/center console - Will a sedan fit into a coupe?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but the new E36 owners like myself may find this useful. To begin with, the car in question is a 1997 E36 318is (Australian domestic model) with the M44B19 and a 5 speed manual. From factory it was sold without a front centre armrest.

Now when I refer to the 'centre console' I mean the plastic type moulding which forms the base between the two front seats. It houses the handbrake cavity, ashtray and the small lidless compartment (some vehicles come equipped with cup holders etc). It is bolted in the front by a nut under the hazard button and runs all the way back till where the rear centre ashtray sits.

I unbolted the armrest from a 1995 318i sedan Limited Editon (it was a special edition offered in Australia at the time). I took all the pieces required to bolt in the armrest into my vehicle. It was all pretty easy and the swap seemed simple.

When I tried to retrofit it into my vehicle, I noticed that there is a difference in the centre consoles. For vehicles that did not come equipped with an armrest the centre csole is one long piece of continuous moulding which tapers around the rear ashtray. The ones that do have an armrest have a slightly different centre console; theirs have the moulding stop about 10cm short and don't taper around the rear ashtray. The two trim pieces concealing the armrest's supporting bracket underneath have the rear ashtray built into them (with the moulding around it to finish off the centre console's 'look').

If you to completely removed the armrest from this trim piece you would see a hollow square shaped cavity. In other words, for my particular case I found the two to be different. I probably should have taken pictures..

I realize it could a sedan vs coupe thing.So I looked around similar cars for sale in Australia and also found from interior pictures that the coupes with factory fitted armrests had similar centre consoles (usually 328i coupes) to that of the sedans with armrests. Similarly the non-armrest coupes had the same centre console as my vehicle.

I'm glad I can go back and get the centre cosole from the wrecker in the morning, I left it in the donor car thinking i wouldn't need it smh ...
Jump to top hash_z4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-06-2016, 04:29:43 PM   #6
westopher

Canada

I couldn't wait to get my armrest out of there. Can't believe people go through the trouble of putting one in!

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 99k and soon to be worthless on BAT
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-06-2016, 07:34:22 PM   #7
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I couldn't wait to get my armrest out of there. Can't believe people go through the trouble of putting one in!
First time I drove an E36 was the first car I drove with an armrest. Loved it. Guess it depends on how tall you arm. My elbow sits exactly on top of it.
For me it's a must-have option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
In case anyone else digs this up, they are not all interchangable. The convertible version is unique, as the propshaft tunnel slopes upwards behind the armrest, while on others it continues straight on.

Compact is unique too, in case anyone imported one.

Pics:

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-16-2016, 01:04:37 AM   #8
Shock(/\)ave
Freedom Under Democracy

Canada

I stand corrected. The interchangeability apparently only applies to coupes and sedans / saloons.

Founder Of The New Car Smell Club & The Canadian Edition Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BabyDady View Post
i once stood in front of my x fiance and said .... wow that right there is the love of my life, and i pointed at an m3
Jump to top Shock(/\)ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-16-2016, 01:15:30 AM   #9
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Individual leather on the armrest is actually a nice aesthetic addition, despite having no use for it.

Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-17-2016, 06:05:27 PM   #10
drtwofish

In the garage:

United States

One of these days I want to develop a locking mechanism for my armrest - I keep it up 90% of the time to make it easier to shift, but I do like having it on highway trips.