BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, May-03-2017, 06:40:19 AM   #1
mycalzone

United States

Default Short Term Storage Start

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I haven't been on M3 forum in years; I am happy the E36 section is still alive! I recently relocated to Plano, TX, but left my car in storage in FL because I heard stories about the hail out here. First question is; do I need to do anything special before starting the old girl after being in storage for about 3 months? She is on flatstoppers, tank is full, and a bottle of Stabil is floating around in there. My mechanic said I should remove the fuel pump fuse and turn it over a few times to circulate the oil before really starting it. Do you guys recommend anything else?

Second is, I miss being around BMW people, are there any E36 / BMW on the forum in the Plano area? Looking to get out and see the town.

Pics for attention and reintroduction.

Thank you!
Mike
Jump to top mycalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 11:09:27 AM   #2
RND1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Short Term Storage Start

Just pulled mine out of 5 months of winter hibernation and simply hooked up the battery and fired her up. No issues at all - ran perfect. Full tank w stabil is key.
Jump to top RND1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 07:31:53 AM   #3
Baby ///M3

United States

I recommend getting a battery conditioner (not a charger) if you have access to an electrical outlet.

I have multiple cars and some of them, include my E36 don't get to be driven frequently. Hooking up a battery conditioner to the battery is a great way to make sure that the battery does not drain.

I wouldn't worry about oil circulation if I were to store the car for only three months.

Jon

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 10:28:11 AM   #4
aceprowler

In the garage:

United States

Nice ride man!

Just got mine out too a few weeks ago myself. Started right up, not a problem at all.

I just disconnect my battery completely and never have had any issue with starting it.

I had blacked out grills on the front of mine but went back to Chrome, looks so much better I think.

Again, nice looking ride!
Jump to top aceprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 02:25:23 PM   #5
RightYouAreKen

In the garage:

United States

3 months is nothing. Just fire her up. You really don't even need stabil for that length of time. I tend to keep mine on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up, but otherwise just park her in the garage with the sunroof vented so it doesn't gather moisure/condensation inside.
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 08:34:22 PM   #6
betrezra

United States

Not to over think this... but I've been off this week and been debating in my head if starting the car with fuel pump fuse in-op is better than just starting car normal from an oiling perspective.

If the oil pump is a pos displacement pump.... (each revolution displaced XX liters regardless of speed)...... then turning the motor via starter @ 200rpm will cause as much wear as turning the motor at 200rpm until motor starts then turning @ 2500rpm.

If xx rev's are necessary to pump oil to the critical bits.... then I don't see much difference.

the real method to pre-oil the motor would be (IF) you could spin the oil pump without turning the crank/cams...... but not possible with this motor. Perhaps an accusump would do this?

Probably over thinking this..... perhaps a technical bimmer motor guru could chime in on the oiling bit above?

Agreed.... I would start this after 3-6 mo's with no worries on gas or oiling.

Over 12 mo's I get worried about fuel...... and would rec being conservative on the motor until it is burned up...... or down enough to dilute with fresh.
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 12:36:50 AM   #7
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
3 months is nothing. Just fire her up. You really don't even need stabil for that length of time. I tend to keep mine on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up, but otherwise just park her in the garage with the sunroof vented so it doesn't gather moisure/condensation inside.
This. I just keep my parked cars on the battery tender.
Sometimes they will sit for over a year, I just put the keys in and fire it up.
Jump to top j0rdan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 02:26:08 AM   #8
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Not to over think this... but I've been off this week and been debating in my head if starting the car with fuel pump fuse in-op is better than just starting car normal from an oiling perspective.

If the oil pump is a pos displacement pump.... (each revolution displaced XX liters regardless of speed)...... then turning the motor via starter @ 200rpm will cause as much wear as turning the motor at 200rpm until motor starts then turning @ 2500rpm.

If xx rev's are necessary to pump oil to the critical bits.... then I don't see much difference.

the real method to pre-oil the motor would be (IF) you could spin the oil pump without turning the crank/cams...... but not possible with this motor. Perhaps an accusump would do this?

Probably over thinking this..... perhaps a technical bimmer motor guru could chime in on the oiling bit above?

Agreed.... I would start this after 3-6 mo's with no worries on gas or oiling.

Over 12 mo's I get worried about fuel...... and would rec being conservative on the motor until it is burned up...... or down enough to dilute with fresh.
Cranking it without the fuel pump fuse in is just to help some oil get to the bearings before they start taking a beating from combustion. I do agree that the best way would be to spin the pump independently but that's not practical with the engine in the car. Cranking the car with no fuel will get about 5psi through which is more than enough to get oil to vital areas.

In OP's case thought, just fire it up. Even mine that has sat for 12 months will be fired right up when it's time.
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 02:34:56 AM   #9
betrezra

United States

Eng-- thx. Makes sense.
Old Fri, May-12-2017, 05:29:29 AM   #10
mycalzone

United States

thank you all for the replies and comments on my car! I really appreciate it. I am sorry for the late reply. I downloaded tapatalk but forgot my password. I ended up taking the fuel pump fuse out just because I never did it before. She started up like a champ with no issues like you all expected. My time was kind of limited so I didn't get a chance to stretch her legs, but I plan on driving around next time I'm down. Thanks again!
Jump to top mycalzone is offline   Reply With Quote