BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 07:43:41 PM   #1
patrickd_21

In the garage:

Canada

Default Track pads for OEM rotors (recomend me a pad)! (Oil temp question as well)

Hi everyone,

So this past weekend I had my first track day with the M3 and I loved it. Far from my first rodeo (ive been lapping for manys years) but it was my first track event with the M3.

Anyways, once I got comfortable with the car near the end of the day, I was able to start pushing the car. I started to feel significant peddle fade as I became faster and faster and started to push the braking zones a bit.

I'm running a stock caliper rotor setup and hawk HP+ all around with ATE Super blue fluid. The rear pads still have tons of life left, but my front pads are gettin close to the end of their life. Anyways, after their performance this weekend under hard braking, I want to upgrade to a more aggesive pad for the front. Here is my criteria for a front rotor; keep in mind I will be running hawk HP+ in the rear, so I would like a pad that is compatible with the HP+ as a rear pad:

1. I will be driving the pads on the street to and from track days and occasional Sunday driving.
2. Good pedal modulation characteristics are very important for me
3. Moderate pad wear is ok (obviously I want to minimize this, but I'm wilin to deal with wear that is a bit more than the HP+)
4. Moderate disk wear is ok (obviously I want to minimize this, but I'm wilin to deal with wear that is a bit more than the HP+)
5. Noise does not bother me
6. Dusting doesn't bother me too much (as a guide, the dust created by the HP+ pads is more than acceptable in my opinion...willing to deal with a bit more dusting for a good pad)
7. I'm not familiar with M3 track pad selection or pricing, but under 200$ for the front pads would be good

With the information above, are there any pads you guys would recomend me that would suit my criteria?

Also as a side note, on my last session of the day, when I was starting to get very fast, I noticed my oil temps were getting quite high. This worries me a bit as it was quite cold out (~15 Celsius), so I'm concerned as to what will happen when I drive faster tracks on days in August where it may be 30+ celcius...

Is this a common issue? Are the e46 m3's oil coolers known to be inadequate?

Last edited by patrickd_21; Mon, Apr-29-2013 at 08:04:12 PM.
Jump to top patrickd_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 07:51:23 PM   #2
BlazenXLT
We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Track pads for OEM rotors (recomend me a pad)!

Hawk HT-10's might be your best bet. I think they are sub $200 and will certainly handle the track better then the HP+ pads. They will make a lot of noise though.
I personally run Hawk DTC70s up front and HT10s in the rear and really like the set-up.
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 07:58:43 PM   #3
SG_M3
#56 JP M3

United States

I would say pay the extra $100 and get PFC08's. HT10's feel like you're trying to stop the car using a wood 2x4. No feel at all. PFC's are worth the price.
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 08:16:02 PM   #4
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Why not swap the pads before and after track days?

Even though you say noise will not bother you, I think you will find that having your brake pads literally squeal like pigs on a Sunday drive becomes frustrating after a while. Also, the brakes won't work very well at cold temps, not as safe as a street pad for cruising around town. Track pads work great on the track, not so much on the street. A dual purpose pad doesn't exist.

I've not used HT-10s, but have used PFCs and they are really impressive pads IMO, I'd recommend you look there. Slightly over $200, but not by much.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 08:28:17 PM   #5
patrickd_21

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Why not swap the pads before and after track days?

Even though you say noise will not bother you, I think you will find that having your brake pads literally squeal like pigs on a Sunday drive becomes frustrating after a while. Also, the brakes won't work very well at cold temps, not as safe as a street pad for cruising around town. Track pads work great on the track, not so much on the street. A dual purpose pad doesn't exist.

I've not used HT-10s, but have used PFCs and they are really impressive pads IMO, I'd recommend you look there. Slightly over $200, but not by much.
Where did you find the PFC08's for slightly over 200$? I found the HT-10's for 222$ from ECS tuning.

Jump to top patrickd_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 08:34:17 PM   #6
VALSBM3
AwwwYeah!

United States

Since you are sticking with Hawk HP+ rears, I would recommend HT-10 or DTC70 up front and a brake cooling kit. It's best to have 2 sets of pads (dd & track). If you go this route, I have a set of Stoptech street pads for sale. LMK.

We can give you all the advice you want, but ultimately, it comes down to trying all types pads to see which best fits your needs. Tracking/Racing comes with a cost unfortunately....

2002 M3 | ESS VT1-455 | BW Race Exhaust | Hawk Pads | Ground Control Suspension | Whiteline Swaybars
Custom Roll Bar | Stripped Interior | Bride | G-Force | APR GT-250 Rear Wing | Front Splitter
SneedSpeed Brake Cooling Ducts | D-Force LTW5 Wheels/Hoosier R6
Automotive Performance Technology, APTech - Follow us on Google+ or Facebook!
Jump to top VALSBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 09:20:50 PM   #7
BlazenXLT
We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?

In the garage:

United States

I always get my hawks from tirerack
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 09:42:36 PM   #8
gruppeM3
Motorsport Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazenXLT View Post
Hawk HT-10's might be your best bet. I think they are sub $200 and will certainly handle the track better then the HP+ pads. They will make a lot of noise though.
I personally run Hawk DTC70s up front and HT10s in the rear and really like the set-up.
Totally agree. This is what I started out with and it worked great. Can't go wrong with HT10's or DTC70's.
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 10:14:53 PM   #9
Zoomz
Vroom.. Vroom.....

United States

I chace used the hawks and the pfc's. and omg hawks feel exactly like trying to stop the car with a 2x4. And the hawks wear very badly, I to think you wcan use then much past 40% life.
Where as the pfc I love. They are more, but the feel is great and you can modulate them so well. And mine last about 10-12 days. I was running the pfc 01. And that's all I will use anymore. Oh and you can use them all the way into the backing plate.
So really the pfc cost is no more then the hawks. And the quality is much better.
Try topbrakes.com
Or rotorsandpads.com

Far from stock
Jump to top Zoomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 10:34:06 PM   #10
Treflip

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazenXLT View Post
I second this option. I'm currently using the DTC70s up front and HT10 in the rear. If you want to get just front pads the HT10s or DTC60s are very good options too.

The noise on the DTCs is pretty loud but dusting isn't as bad as one would think.

Instagram: @tonyjackson | 2002 M3 Street/Track Journal | YouTube - Track Videos

Eibach | Yokohama | Ground Control | VAC | Evasive | Stillen-AP Racing | AFE | Koyo | TTFS | MOMO
Jump to top Treflip is offline   Reply With Quote