BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 10:38:21 PM   #11
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Track pads for OEM rotors (recomend me a pad)!

Another plug for HT-10 (front and rear, personally) here. Cheap, last pretty long, and I don't recall ever getting pad fade with street tires.

Current - 2018 M2, 2015 328d Wagon, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 10:51:05 PM   #12
Zoomz
Vroom.. Vroom.....

United States

Wow all you guys use these hawks and I thought they felt like molded and shaped horse dung! When compared to the pfc 01, they are bad... just not even in the same category.
Have any of you' that recommended the ht 10, ever tried the pfc 06 or 01?

Far from stock
Jump to top Zoomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2013, 11:14:29 PM   #13
gruppeM3
Motorsport Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomz View Post
Wow all you guys use these hawks and I thought they felt like molded and shaped horse dung! When compared to the pfc 01, they are bad... just not even in the same category.
Have any of you' that recommended the ht 10, ever tried the pfc 06 or 01?
Yes I have. Aside from the fact that the PFC's don't release too much brake dust or squeal all that much I really don't see much of a difference. I could care less for either of the two so I have done perfectly fine with the Hawks. With that said I would never recommend the Blue's. They are okay for beginners but they eat up rotors like crazy, squeal like a mofo, and the brake dust corrodes wheels.

Just my
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 01:41:46 AM   #14
Terrapin

In the garage:

I've had HT-10's and PFC 06's and i much prefer the PFC 06. Much easier to modulate and after a weekend there is hardly any build up or vibration. With the Hawks it took weeks before the vibration went away. But then again my technique has improved since then so maybe lack of skill was the problem and if I tried HT-10's again they'd be fine. I can say that the PFC's squeal much less than the Hawks did on the street.

Bottom line is there are street pads and track pads. Everyone has their favorite but you won't know what works for you until you try one and see for yourself (and maybe they are all just fine). My suggestion is to go with the best deal you can find to start...as long as its truly a track pad and not a street/track or high performance street. Those won't work. Also someone mentioned brake cooling. With track pads you won't need that until a long while after you're running slicks.

As for oil temps, the needle rising to the 3/4 dot (between 210 and 300F) isn't out of the ordinary as long as your radiator doesn't overheat. Just leave the car running after your session until the needle gets back to the center and you should be fine.
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 12:45:07 PM   #15
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd_21 View Post
Where did you find the PFC08's for slightly over 200$? I found the HT-10's for 222$ from ECS tuning.
Sorry, I was thinking of rears. Fronts are around $250-$260 for PFC06

You can get HT10s a little cheaper here http://zeckhausen.com/BMW/E46_M3_ZCP.htm

Also check out pricing from turner motorsport, bimmerworld and OG Racing

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 12:53:04 PM   #16
patrickd_21

In the garage:

Canada

Thanks for the information everyone! I think I'll end up trying both and deciding which I like better. For now, a good deal came up on the PFC-06's with someone local to me, so I'll most likely be giving these a try first. Then when they wear out, I may try the HT-10 to compare, unless I REALLY fall in love with the PFC-06's.

I'll keep you all updated and let you know my impressions on the pad I choose to go with!

Thanks again for all of the information!

Jump to top patrickd_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 02:20:47 PM   #17
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I've had HT-10's and PFC 06's and i much prefer the PFC 06. Much easier to modulate and after a weekend there is hardly any build up or vibration. With the Hawks it took weeks before the vibration went away. But then again my technique has improved since then so maybe lack of skill was the problem and if I tried HT-10's again they'd be fine. I can say that the PFC's squeal much less than the Hawks did on the street.
IMO the biggest downside to the HT10 is they are very picky about how they are bedded in. Any vibrations indicate they weren't. And because they aren't very abrasive, trying to fix an inadequate bed-in takes a lot longer.

I ran HT10 for a few years and did like them. You can easily drive around town with them (if you don't mind the noise), and as I said earlier, found that they don't wear the rotors out very much at all. I was having to replace rotors because they had too many heat check cracks, not because they were at minimum thickness. Plus they are really cheap, close to half the price of PFC pads.

I stopped using them because I had a pad separate from the backing plate. It used to be somewhat common a few years ago, but Hawk supposedly has fixed the problem and you don't hear about it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Also check out pricing from turner motorsport, bimmerworld and OG Racing
A lot cheaper at bimmerworld than zeckhausen, $173 for HT10 fronts.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 04:15:36 PM   #18
m3 hal

United States

pretty good article I found on brake pads: http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 07:01:41 PM   #19
patrickd_21

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
IMO the biggest downside to the HT10 is they are very picky about how they are bedded in. Any vibrations indicate they weren't. And because they aren't very abrasive, trying to fix an inadequate bed-in takes a lot longer.

I ran HT10 for a few years and did like them. You can easily drive around town with them (if you don't mind the noise), and as I said earlier, found that they don't wear the rotors out very much at all. I was having to replace rotors because they had too many heat check cracks, not because they were at minimum thickness. Plus they are really cheap, close to half the price of PFC pads.

I stopped using them because I had a pad separate from the backing plate. It used to be somewhat common a few years ago, but Hawk supposedly has fixed the problem and you don't hear about it anymore.

A lot cheaper at bimmerworld than zeckhausen, $173 for HT10 fronts.
Bummerworld definitely has the best prices I've seen on HT-10's so far! As for pad delamination, that scares me somewhat. I had pads delaminate when I was racing 125cc ICA karts which resulted in a nice impact with a tire wall at the end of a very long straight...few broken bones. Stories of pad delamination on Hawk pads would be enough to make me never buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk hal View Post
pretty good article I found on brake pads: http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads
Good article! Thanks for sharing

Jump to top patrickd_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2013, 08:00:18 PM   #20
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

I'm a big fan of PFC O6's. I have the CSL rotors and PSS and I've done ~2000 track miles on them and they've worn very well. Stop like I'm hitting a brick wall. Only used about 1/3 of the pad during that period.

I keep them on 100% of the time, after about 200 street miles they start squealing and screeching like a woman with PMS. That's how I know I've been off track for too long

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO)
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is online now   Reply With Quote