BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Regional M3's > Pacific
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 06:13:02 PM   #1
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Playskool1's SMG to 6SPD appreciation thread

Preface
Since the ownership of my car, I actually really liked the SMG transmission. I was able to downshift without thinking twice while on track, my leg didn't kill me every time I was maneuvering through San Francisco traffic and best of all: I could drink my morning coffee without having to put it down every 5 seconds.

However, one of the biggest downfall, as most of you know, is reliability. I first experienced this fall of 2017 when it first threw the COG light we all know and love. While trying my best to ignore it, the SMG transmission decided to throw me in neutral. When I was finally able to get home, I researched until I found what's known as the "resistor mod". It seemed to have done the trick... until the beginning of summer 2018. While driving through Orange County in 100F, my SMG pump decided that I didn't need power to the rear wheels. This solidified my desire to convert my transmission to a true manual. As much as I loved the SMG for how simple it made my life, I hated it because it made it so complicated. That's when I got in contact with Ray (playskool1) and Matt (nervous24) for a swap.

Process
Once we started talking, we set up the day for drop off at Ray's with all the parts. The beauty of this method is that you can do it on a budget. Even with opting for all brand new parts and the pricier version of the CAE shifter, it was much cheaper than anywhere else. They had the car for 4 days because of Ray's work schedule. It wasn't all perfect however. We ran into some complication towards the end, but ended up being something extremely minor and they were able to push through. They kept me updated with pictures and answered any dumb questions I had (which I have a lot of). Here are some pictures that were sent to me during the process:

Aftermath
I drove the car home last night (approximately 40 miles/1hour drive) and couldn't believe how good it felt. The shifter is notchy and short, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. For me, personally, I love it and it makes me feel like a racecar driver . For the guys that live in Northern California with SMG, this is a no-brainer route if you enjoy the racecar feeling of a shifter. If you're on a budget, a lot of the parts can actually be purchased used and potentially save you a large sum of money. At the end of the day, I highly recommend all the parts that were used in this process, specifically CAE. Also thanks to the guys that helped me get it done. Thanks Ray, Matt and Corey (TheGenius46M) for helping the world save the manuals!

Here's how she sits now:

Last edited by Kwakjoe; Thu, Jul-12-2018 at 06:43:58 PM.
Jump to top Kwakjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 06:18:11 PM   #2
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Default Playskool1's SMG to 6SPD appreciation thread

Ray and Corey are some of the most genuine people I know. True enthusiasts that know what they’re doing. I highly recommend both of them if you’re in the Bay Area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKG||Euro Headers||Customized Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||OMP||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||G-Loc Brakes||Enkei NT03||Nitto NT01||Custom Chassis Mounted Splitter||AJ Hartman Wing||TTFS Tune||2800 lbs

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
IG: MD__M3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 06:28:39 PM   #3
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Playskool1's SMG to 6SPD appreciation thread

Welcome to true manual club, unlike those s"m"g .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 07:19:04 PM   #4
aa240sx

In the garage:

United States

nice! I'm still DIY'ing my swap (separate thread), but the tough part (transmission reinstall) is now over.

when your guys did this mod, did they add in detents and drill for the GPS?

What are CAE's going for now?

Last edited by aa240sx; Thu, Jul-12-2018 at 07:28:29 PM.
Jump to top aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 08:55:19 PM   #5
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
Ray and Corey are some of the most genuine people I know. True enthusiasts that know what they’re doing. I highly recommend both of them if you’re in the Bay Area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Welcome to true manual club, unlike those s"m"g .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Haha not gonna lie, I do miss it and I'm not looking forward to relearning the tracks I've already gotten used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
nice! I'm still DIY'ing my swap (separate thread), but the tough part (transmission reinstall) is now over.

Technical side, Ray or Matt can answer, as for the price of CAE shifters, you can option yours out on Hard Motorsport. I bought mine through Jake via email. Definitely worth the money if you've driven one with it in my book.
Old Thu, Jul-12-2018, 10:46:01 PM   #6
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Good stuff Joe! Might be some growing pains at first, but I bet the PBs will be even more satisfying!

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 01:15:48 AM   #7
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Good stuff Joe! Might be some growing pains at first, but I bet the PBs will be even more satisfying!
Yeah definitely. I've been driving it around today, I'm trying to get used to everything.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 02:36:55 AM   #8
nervous24

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post

As I told you via pm in the past none of that is required nor has it been done to my car or the other two I have helped swap over. Coding is your friend
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 06:06:21 AM   #9
blk rex wagon

Is there a way to contact Ray.. I messaged him on IG but no response.. Is he taking appointments still?
Jump to top blk rex wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 04:12:46 PM   #10
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk rex wagon View Post
Is there a way to contact Ray.. I messaged him on IG but no response.. Is he taking appointments still?
His Ig is skweakyklean or something like that. If you tried that, I could try texting him to see if he’s okay with me giving his number to you