BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 07:11:03 PM   #51
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Default Re: Hellrot 1998 E36 Sedan ----> S54 content inside

Nice work! I've been chasing high IATs in mine lately...I'll try to upload some photos of the WIP.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 07:20:34 PM   #52
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Thanks, aren’t you airbox’d ? All you’d need is a shield and a forced duct I’m sure. I know the fact it was 9 degrees out helped mine haha.

Anyway, dammit if there wasn’t oil forming a drop where the trans meets the pan...I’m seriously about to drive the damn thing into a wall. I HATE leaks. I’m getting a dye kit.

I know these motors well; but where’re else can I look for a leak. CPV was done, crank seal at front was done, cam pos o ring done, oil pan gasket done, valve cover done

Maybe rear main? That a thing on these I thought not.
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 08:05:02 PM   #53
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
Thanks, aren’t you airbox’d ? All you’d need is a shield and a forced duct I’m sure. I know the fact it was 9 degrees out helped mine haha.

Anyway, dammit if there wasn’t oil forming a drop where the trans meets the pan...I’m seriously about to drive the damn thing into a wall. I HATE leaks. I’m getting a dye kit.

I know these motors well; but where’re else can I look for a leak. CPV was done, crank seal at front was done, cam pos o ring done, oil pan gasket done, valve cover done

Maybe rear main? That a thing on these I thought not.
Yup, airbox'd but last dyno the IATs were ~120F while dyno ambient was 60F. Pretty sure that's because I wasn't running the snorkel and the airbox was sucking in lots of hot radiator air. Currently working on a spacer to be able to use the snorkel, and probably will figure out an IAT relocation as part of that. I uploaded photos of what I'm working on.

Rear main is definitely a thing on these. Is it trans juice or motor juice that's leaking?
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-30-2017, 12:51:54 AM   #54
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Yup, airbox'd but last dyno the IATs were ~120F while dyno ambient was 60F. Pretty sure that's because I wasn't running the snorkel and the airbox was sucking in lots of hot radiator air. Currently working on a spacer to be able to use the snorkel, and probably will figure out an IAT relocation as part of that. I uploaded photos of what I'm working on.

Rear main is definitely a thing on these. Is it trans juice or motor juice that's leaking?
Oh yea okay, all you need is the ducting, if you think 120 is bad I was seeing 180 haha and my tune was pegged at 26 degrees advance at wot no matter what...so I fixed that too.

Anyway Did the dye test...def not as night and day as they lead you to believe. Anyway, - -an fittings at the OFH adapter are/ were leaking like a *****, had no idea. I’m going to order 2 new 45 degree fittings and some an wrenches. I am hoping that this leak is what was forming at the front of the oilpan...it was a decent amount.

Second, where the trans meets the motor was glowing and covered again. Looking in the trans peep holes, i was a spray pattern at on the flywheel. I doubt turbulent air blew the oil onto the FW so I’m thinking rear main. Lastly The CPS at back left of motor is dripping...I’m thinking valve cover SO, I’ll do this again and hope that is what was flowing down to the trans by way of the back side of the motor. If the VC and AN fittings don’t remedy the problem, the rear main will be replaced and screw the front drop, thats life, I’m not doing the pan again. Front crank seal is dry.

EDIT This is interesting https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=883240 guy hit everything a few times and when he did the rear main WITH the pan gasket that stopped the leak finally. I may just do it all once again.

But for now, I have ordered

- 2 new an fittings for the OFH to solve that known leak
- an wrench
- New VC gasket kit

I am going to look into that bolt at the back of the head too

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Sat, Dec-30-2017 at 04:58:14 AM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 03:41:58 AM   #55
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Got any more pics of the homemade headers?

What size tube? Do I need both 2.5" and 2.25" SS tubing?
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 02:11:14 PM   #56
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Piping depends on you. I maintained the 2.25 just as OEM in these. I have 5 spare sets that I will be messing with in different diameters.

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Fri, Jul-13-2018 at 02:15:07 PM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 04:26:19 PM   #57
Sweet Jones

In the garage:

Mexico

I loved going through your thread just now, awesome attention to detail. Looking forward to your updates on this beauty. I really like how the vents came out and i'll be looking deeper into the sport button fix you did. The wiring on my swap was a bit rough and that was left off but i've added the panel with the sport button and will start to look into what i can do to eventually implement that feature.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.

E46 touring, Version 2
S54/6 speed, polished FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator-Mishimoto radiator hoses-Mishimoto electric fan, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff and RevShift bushings, RTD mini V2 shifter and DSSR, Airlift Performance 3H suspension, Rogue Engineering RaceBrace strut bar, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, PLM SM-AFR wideband, Eonon GA7150A with front and rear cameras, Work Brombachers, Storm Motorwerks interior pieces, CSL brakes and 996 calipers, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust, Bimmerworld Race diffuser. M3 bodywork and paint.
Jump to top Sweet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 03:44:00 AM   #58
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Thanks, actually the car is much father along.

- vents are in, functioning
- leak is fixed, it was the flywheel bolts allowing oil to pass by
- have a mishimoto huge rad, new hoses ready to go it
- need AC installed
- completed a nice CAI

All info in my sig link