BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Jan-09-2017, 06:54:09 PM   #21
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hellrot 1998 E36 Sedan ----> S54 content inside

Few updates, got the LTW mounted. Threw the car all together and went for the first drive awhile ago.

clean install

Everything performed as it should. Then I got inpa working and scanned for codes. I found and erased 17 codes from the build, but one remained. IT was for voltage supply to the main relay. I thought forsure it was the fact that I moved the relay and fuse pack to the right side of the motor. So I have been reading about the code and took all the wiring out. I moved it back to near the dme and soldered all the connections etc...when I rechecked for the code I found it was still there. The car runs fine, but the code remained.

More reading showed inpa code 54 is obd code 1231. Some people said it was related to the voltage regulator. So I took mine out and found the brushes extremely worn. BMW says 12mm new, 5mm minimum. Mine were 3mm and lower in the other. Now that I have it torn down, I am rebuilding the alternator with new bearing and a new regulator and will report back with the results of the INPA test.

I also mapped out the 20 pin diagnostic connect so I can add it to the car and access the E36 modules still. It turned out well, I mounted it in the dash kick panel.

That is where I am at now.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-09-2017, 07:26:31 PM   #22
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Looks great. I just did an alternator rebuild. The only mistake I made was unscrewing the 4 end screws that hold the shaft bearing in place on one end before driving out the shaft. That caused a problem getting the bearing off the shaft. Good luck!
Old Sun, Jan-22-2017, 07:34:07 PM   #23
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Car is back together after rewiring and testing circuits for the last 2 weeks. The fuse pack and relays are back in the fuse box. This time I ordered 10-12AWG 5 pin connectors from performance connection. They worked great. Weather proof, and easy disconnect for future projects. This replaced the 2 terminal blocks under the expansion tank. So now that connection and wiring is safe in the DME hole. After finalizing everything, I went down and got the first tank of gas haha! put about 30 miles or so on the car and it feels GREAT. I'm still observing the bearing break in, but never the less, the car moves.

Now that its operational, I am going to split direction with the DME stuff. Ill bench work a newer one and continue with the car on the current DME. I built this bench rig quickly yesterday. Works great...you can see it holds at 15V at 1A for flashing etc. This is the Spare Ms43 I have around to "Test" with.

I took the car to autozone for a stardard obd scan...it showed no codes so I don't think the inpa error 54 is going to affect me anywhere.

I also got a cross brace in from ebay. I saw the one M52Power posted in his S54 swap thread and liked the idea of it. Checked ebay and there happened to be one with BIN of $75.00 so I grabbed it. It is very light, and really reminds me of the unit the E46M uses. Ill be throwing that on today before the game.

Forgot to add, I added a bulb for the sport light, ran a wire from the X60004 PIN 16 and tapped into the fusebox at F15 on the E36. That runs to the X17 Pin 8 which normally illuminates the forglight bulb on an E36. In the case of the Z3m cluster, the same location houses the Sport indicator. I hooked up and and got nothing. So I put the fuse back in for the foglights and got a cool sport light when I turned them on. Due to this I checked the voltage at the end of the X60004 Pin 16 wire. When I engage sport it changes voltage from .09v (Off) to 4.0V (On). I dont think thats enough juice to run the old cluster bulbs. Probably all that was needed to light the little LED in the sport button switch. I am going to test it to my ASC to see if it lights up and experiment with getting a 4V lef in the cluster for the indicator.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 10:40:44 PM   #24
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

I have not updated in a while. Now that everything is running well, I decided to attack my own alignment. I did this by making 4 elevation blocks all the same dimensions. 16x18. On the stand between the tire, I used 2 $.44 tiles from home depot covered in grease which allowed the suspension to settle on the blocks.

Once those are made, use 4 jack stands at each corner of the car and tie a string at center cap height. Next you need to know the wheel track measurements. I know that the E36 is 56.6" at the rear and 56 at the front. So that .6 needs to be added at the front when paralleling the line. Once youre all set at center cap level and an equal distance out from the center cap, you measure from each side of each rim and the difference is the toe in or out.

Heres a few pics. I can go well into depth if anyone wants to really know how to do it.

After I got all aligned I threw on two new rear tires and got a 94 very underbrace. You can see it is very similar to the E46M unit. It needed trimmed, but nothing crazy.

After I got that all squared away, I got on the road. The alignment is perfect and the car pulls like a train.

Next I made some custom rear sway links because the oem ones didn't mount up as well as I liked. There really tightened up the rear

Once that was done, I tackled the sport light. 2.5-4V led works. The 4V was brighter, but the 2.5 was green and blended better. You can see I put it just below the button for the fogs. I also installed custom contact button in the dash to switch between sport and normal, Check it out.

Heres a few videos

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Thu, Feb-16-2017 at 10:52:24 PM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 06:37:00 PM   #25
CheckABS
Volks or bust!

United States

Awesome build thread and you are very talented!

Wiring scares the hell out of me and I was like, "WOW" when I saw the cluster swap!

Love the swap and thank you for sharing!

For Sale:
Volk TE37SL 18x9.5 +35 squared
Volk CE28N 19s
Jump to top CheckABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 03:02:28 AM   #26
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Thanks man, when I first started I knew NOTHING of the wiring...hands on with an ETM and the help of a few smart dudes over the forums it kind of clicked. No where near as bad is it seems.

I got my fittings in to add oil temperature today, so I'll document that throw it in when I get a chance. I also got a PSS9 suspension kit in, with brand-new BMW top mount hardware. I'll throw some photos of that up as well
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 03:28:14 PM   #27
Mdeck

In the garage:

United States

Awesome build man, very nice job! That sway must be tons of fun.
Jump to top Mdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 05:16:34 PM   #28
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Thanks man, it really is. With the 3:91, first is useless, second, useless haha and third it grabs. Personally, I thinks that's fun as hell haha.

Installed oil temp gauges yesterday, VDO 120-300. Nice peace of mind to see that it's all good. Never broke 210-215 yesterday.

Pss9s ready to go in as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (625.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (604.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (597.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (612.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (598.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Fri, Mar-10-2017 at 06:35:18 PM.
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 06:37:01 PM   #29
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (565.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (607.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (10.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (8.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (627.7 KB, 12 views)
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 06:40:17 PM   #30
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

After I got the gauge wired up, I ordered a steering wheel, NRG hub and also a VDO Oil pressure gauge and sender.

I installed pillar and the wheel and Ill have to do the Pressure gauge coming up when I do the suspension. My over all impression is that I love the wheels and the gauge is really the only place I could think to put it without disrupting something else. I think it turned out well.

I also went for a ride in an velocity stacked E36/S54 in Atlanta while I was picking my E46 this passed wednesday. It felt quick so I when I got back I wanted to put mine through the ringer. I did and it felt awesome. BUT I think the CDV is causing a delay in my clutch grabbing and its causing it to slip at high RPM during upper gear shifts. I am going to delete it and monitor it...I may end up having to get something more robust over the E34 M5 with ltw flywheel that I have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (608.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (521.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (596.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Fri, Mar-10-2017 at 06:52:13 PM.