BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 06:18:00 PM   #11
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hellrot 1998 E36 Sedan ----> S54 content inside

Ahhh.. here in Failfornia you just need to prove all the original smog equipment from the donor car is there and working to get a title.

What are the biggest costs on the S54? I assume just the motor and trans?

I like that it's pretty much a Z4M. I mean it's the E36 chassis with the E46M motor. I have done zero research, just excited at the idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 06:22:37 PM   #12
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
So much for rarity HAHA just kidding needless to say, car looks great.

I want to say I'm going to take it north to my "local" track often, but I'm not sure ill have the time. I def want to get there a few times though. I still have a 1200mi break into go for the bearings.

Hows the swap feel? worth it?
Being able to rev to 8200 rpm, with 310 whp on tap is pretty amazing. My car is track only at this point, so I really cannot comment on how it is as a street car. On the track, it feels at home with a more motorsport inspired engine. Doesn't overpower the chassis either.

Worth it...that is all relative. I had a blown s52 on my hands, so I had to do something, and this was what I ended up on. No regrets, but it may not be "worth it" to many others, especially if you have a running car on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Great thread, I always love and respect the DIY that takes the time to do it right the first time and pay attention to the details.

What can I expect to pay for a similar swap like this?

I'm thinking about maybe a swap in a year or so but I can't decide between an LS3 or an S54.
DIY or pay a shop to do it? Track rat or street car? Paying a shop to swap an s54 to be reliable/cool on track gets expensive VERY quickly.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 07:21:12 PM   #13
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

It would be a swap into a dedicated track car. I hadn't realized that cooling was an issue with this swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 08:44:31 PM   #14
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
It would be a swap into a dedicated track car. I hadn't realized that cooling was an issue with this swap.
Not really specific to this swap, just to tracking in general. Sorry if my post was misleading. I opted to upgrade the cooling significantly due to my intentions with the car. I don't want to derail this thread but if you are interested in build decisions/costs I do not mind sharing in PM.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 09:39:52 PM   #15
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

For a dedicated track car, you can get away with alot more. for instance, no need for the Z3m harness to clean the engine bay, you can custom mount DME to the right, or even run through the firewall. Washer fluid delete saves room for E46 expansion tank. NO need to worry about wiring in the A/C or having a functioning CEL light. You can go custom gauges and save on a Cluster or can adapter box.

For cooling on mine, I Have E36 Behr rad, E36 aux fan, E30 expansion tank and Ill be adding a 2700CFM puller linked to the temp sensor. E36/46 clutch fan was just* rubbing the shroud. NO need to go to PM, it should all be public knowledge. Knowing what I was looking for when researching, an in depth thread would definitely help.

Back to build. I am now working out the Z3M cluster install.

Issues - Internal EPROM and removable code plug hold the mileage. My car has 165K on the body and current 328I cluster. I want to maintain that reading for title and legal.

The standard method for E36 is to Swap my code plug into new cluster, install and run through the added features to test #9 which will update to the highest of the 2 readings and also remove the tamper dot. From what I have gathered, the plugs are # of cylinder specific as in 4cyl must be used in 4cyl etc 6 int 6 etc..

Now I looked up a part number for the S54 Z3M cluster code plug its 62118361231 it says this is compatible with the S54 Z3M 2001-2002, Z3 1.8-3.0 94-02 and oddly 4cly 3 series USA 94-2000 not Ti

The part number for the one supposedly in my 328I cluster is #62118364215 it says its compatible with all S50 EUR and S52 USA Z3Ms and the E36 Ti.

I dont see how the difference in the vehicles with the same engines etc except body like. vert vs coupe. vs sedan, vs ti etc make a difference.

Can anyone confirm that these are all interchangeable as long as the engine size is the same?
Old Tue, Dec-06-2016, 08:11:10 AM   #16
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Very Nice S54 Sedan
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2016, 04:12:45 PM   #17
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Nothing but respect for someone that can pull this off and make it look easy!

So since you've had an E46 M3, how does it feel compared to it?

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-07-2016, 12:40:07 AM   #18
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Hey thanks man, easy is one way to put it hahha remeber I started S54 in July and whole build in Feb!!

I have had A TON of help from members all around the world even. ally of knowledgable guys out there. Good amount of ideas bouncing around.

As for feel. I don't know yet!! I've only pulled in and out of my garage for the most part. I have a few more bits to take care of. But I'll be sure to post my thoughts in a full review after!

Trying to work out the cluster at the moment- waiting for a few responses.
Old Wed, Dec-07-2016, 10:43:48 PM   #19
cblock

In the garage:

United States

Incredible build man, hats off to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jump to top cblock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-10-2016, 02:51:02 PM   #20
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Thanks guys!

Well, I spent some time over at the garage today. First thing I did was finalize the exhaust by welding on the middle mount, bending edges, coating and lastly RTV. Fits well. My Sec1 to 2 gaskets arrived too so I threw those in after and that completed the exhaust. Check the pics below for the model number of the OBX muffler. Works perfect with E46M section 2.

After the exhaust was done I decided to work on the cluster. I was under the assumption that swapping the coding plug and running test #9 would have it accept my mileage, but that is NOT the case. The cluster is set up as an E46 and has 21 test functions. The E36's have the 15 and 19 test clusters which allow this action. Ill get more into that after, but there is good news as well. It is hooked up and does work showing 89900 miles, no tamper as expected.

Step one was to remove the old cluster. That left me with the open dash exposing the X16 X17 and X271 connectors. Gpeterson took the time to look over the ETM and document the necessary, un-necessary and additional wires involved. This saved a ton of time, so thanks to him! Anyway, I used his spread sheet with the ETM to get it wired up. For the wires that I removed, I used spare TYCO connectors I had around and assigned each wire a slot in case I decide to use an E36 cluster instead, I could quicky put the wires back where they belong. Once that was done, I used a multi-meter to check the X69 and X6031 ports to find the unused wires that ran from there to the original cluster. This is so I could tap there with the CAN high and CAN low wiring I ran from the X60004 plug back when I was messing with the DME (it was documented before). When using the Z3m cluster the X16 pin 16 and X17 pin 13 wires are removed from the connectors. These two wires run directly to the X6031 port under the hood. X16 pin 16 to X6031 Pin1 and X17 pin 13 to X6031 pin 3. X6031 pin 4 is for diagnostics and accessed via Andrews harness. I took these three connections and made them inside the OEM connector for a clean look. This worked out well as you can see below.

After the wiring was complete, I installed the cluster and fired the car up. Everything worked fine with the exception that it showed I have low brake fluid. A quick look at the ETM shows the E36 signal is broken when the fluid gets low. On the E46, the signal is SENT when the fluid gets low. Because I still have E36 hardware and wiring, I get a low level light when everything is okay and the warning light goes off that when there is an issue haha. Simply switching the wiring at the plug to the sensor will make it work properly. ANYWAY, after I saw the cluster works well, etc I focused on the miles issue. The Z3M unit is showing 89900 miles. My car has 165,000. So, I removed my mileage plug and the plug from the Z3M. Initial observation, they're ALMOST* the same, but, they're not. The orientation grooves are slightly different. So slight that it took me 10 minutes to realize that apart from color. that was the only difference. I manage to force my plug into the Z3M slot and put it back in the car. trial and error right? The cluster immediately thew an error with tamper dot. So was I was told and hoped for is not what works. I removed my plug and put the Z3M one back in. Then reinstalled the cluster and again, worked perfect, but showed 89900 miles.

At this point, I have 4 months until inspection. I have not gone of the 5000 miles/year which makes me exempt from emissions testing at the moment. Because of that I can use my 328i cluster and pass as a last resort. What I am going to try to do is access the EPROM chips in the cluster and pull the code to see if I can locate the mileage strand. This will be had as I have never done this before. Lastly. I can look into getting a state certified shop to document the cluster change and also give the the door sticker making it a legal roll back. I will for sure let everyone know the solution.

TLDR. S54 Z3M cluster is an E46 style cluster. It will not accept an E36 Code plug and you cannot align the mileage that simple.

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; Sat, Dec-10-2016 at 03:01:50 PM.
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote